Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Looking good Curt Thumb up.gif

Looks great Curt !!
I can't stand it anymore and am going to start getting stuff I already have in GA but need here.
Just minor stuff like my paint assortments, scenery materials and maybe smaller tools.
I won't be doubling up stuff like the NCE ProCab, the airbrush and compressor, solder station, and that like.
Dad said he's fine with that and would do the same thing. He understands I'm also going bonkers with nothing to do.
Thank goodness, Amazon and MBK keep order history... and that I had the foresight to establish accounts with each instead of just doing one-off purchases.

Hell, this makes me feel good just thinking about it now!!
E.

That sounds fantastic Eric. I'm glad that your dad does understand.

Not a problem Chet. Dad does understand. He's had both knees replaced, 1 hip and some shoulder work so he does understand about being down and out with nothing to do. Of course my situation is a little more permanent so the conversation went quite a bit farther out there than just modelling supplies. But... we'll address all that later.

Too bad MBK doesn't give a cancer patient discount. ;-D
E

Good afternoon, 41 and sunny.

TV signals are still broadcast over the air. They are digital now. I used over the air until 9-11. When the towers came down, the NY TV transmitters were destroyed. The substitute transmitters were low powered and I was no longer able to pick them up. Now that the Freedom Tower is complete, they are transmitting from the top of that. Digital permits the broadcaster to transmit multiple broadcasts by splitting the channel, so there are actually more stations available than before. You just need a new style flat antenna. There are devices, Roku etc., that allow you to receive other streams of programing, on your TV without cable.

Hopefully, my efforts will work, I am tired of paying a high monthly fee for 300 channels of nothing.

We have antenna TV here, the old rabbit ears I think we bought them at wallmart. It is HD. We get over 20 channels, some of them really good! No cable or dish bill!

Good Afternoon Sports Fans! It's 59 degrees and starting to become overcast. Radar shows the next rain is about 200 miles Northwest - so, sure hope that it makes it this far south.
Out here in Utopia Land we cannot get jacksquat without cable, satellite, or fiber optics. We are surrounded by a thousand feet of rock in just about every direction. It's a shame .. When I had the RV parked in front of the house - I could receive two PBS channels and one of them was not too clear. I believe they were broadcast from the San Diego area.

CURT - tool/boom car and crane look very nice! good work!

ERIC - glad you are trying to keep your chin up. Gotta stay positive .. glad you are occupying your mind in different directions.

WILLIE -- TWO MORE DAYS You have no idea how sick I am of partisan politics. BRUCE is right -- my brain is being rotted away!

I was talking to one of my Winegard reps about TV antennas and reception, and he agrees with me that "HD" and "Digital" antennas are nothing more than marketing and sales terms. The HD or digital part is contained within the television tuner, internally. You can connect an old coat hanger to a tv with an HD/digital tuner, and it will receive and play that content.
So, long story short, a new antenna might allow to to receive more signals, but it will not change whether you can receive HD or digital signals.

Good evening.

Chet: You're making me hungry with all that food talk. Actually, we had pierogi and fresh kielbasa for dinner this evening. The local Shoprite sells both fresh and smoked kielbasa year round. There are at least four or five vendors for pierogi. Helps to live in Metro NYC.

Curt: Fantastic boom car and wreck derrick.

Eric: Good move. It will keep you occupied. Hope the treatments continue to go well.

Louis: When I lived in Belair, cable was still in the future. Guy down the street, had a satellite receiver that looked like air defense radar. We had an outside antenna with both external and inside boosters. Got everything from DC, B'more, Philly, Harrisburg, Lancaster and Lebanon PA Mostly, the programing was the same, but the sports programing, especially during football season was really good, with numerous choices.

We visited the MIL and stopped at ShopRite today. I was really sore for some reason. Ended up taking a nap after lunch. Antenna install gets pushed back 'till tomorrow.

I was talking to one of my Winegard reps about TV antennas and reception, and he agrees with me that "HD" and "Digital" antennas are nothing more than marketing and sales terms. The HD or digital part is contained within the television tuner, internally. You can connect an old coat hanger to a tv with an HD/digital tuner, and it will receive and play that content.
So, long story short, a new antenna might allow to to receive more signals, but it will not change whether you can receive HD or digital signals.

Not for nothing, Terry, but a coat hanger or rabbit ears will not pick up signals unless they are within a short distance. Also aluminum siding has a negative impact on TV and Radio signals. Even on cable, Digital signals are distorted when compared to HD. That's not marketing, there is a difference. At this point, I'm not even sure this antenna will work. Both my TVs are 1080 HD , so of course, they are capable. It's the 41 miles between my place and Lower Manhattan that's the game breaker.

Good afternoon fellow Rail Setters & Spike Drivers,
Hi Flo and Francine, Nice to have a warm dry place to come into on a cold wet day. Jeffrey would be pleased.

It's cold and wet here in the foothills of Coarsegold. The indoor back porch Thermometer read 36* so the outside temp must be around 26* but it's raining.
Lets see what WW has to say:
Rain 42.5 °F - Feels Like 38 °F [Quite a difference from calculations but it's very chilly]
Wind from SSE at 7.0

Precip. -- in
Pressure 30.06 in
Visibility 4.0 miles
Clouds Overcast 5500 ft
Windchill 38 °F
Dew Point 41 °F
Humidity 96%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available

I've been fairly busy the last couple of days. Monday afternoon I cut up another 30 roof patch/sheets from a heavy weight 50# felt Tar paper roll and trimmed both leading corners with a double champfer. Then after resting a bit I decided to once again try and find out why I was having a problem using the sewing machine as I had a number of under pants that the material had separated from the waist band. I redid things and wound up sewing 12 pair of pants to correct the situation.
Then yesterday afternoon I climbed back up on the roof and found a place for all the patches and the last one was a definite spot that was leaking. So far, knock on wood, none of the leaks has reappeared.
I then drove into Coarsegold, three miles from me and talked with one of the guys at the NAPA store about my Eclipse as I need have it smogged again and picked up a couple cans of spray cleaner for the intake sensors.
Then I filled up another green garden cart with wood to feed the fire which helped last night and now for that matter.
Then I needed to wash a tub of close and decided that while the close were going trough a double wash I would bake a loaf of bread which I did. Oh, btw, washing close is the easy part, then I had to wring out all the washed closes so they would dry faster. My old machine won't spin the close dry. So I had a full day yesterday.

Then to top things off I have some bird, possibly a Crow that lads on my swamp cooler, which I have all covered up to keep things warmer and tears the plastic so I had to get on roof earlier this afternoon and it was raining lightly and try and patch it up to keep things dry.

Afternoon All,

All this talk about Rye bread and meats are making me hungry. Today I completely assembled a signal head and tested it successfully. I discovered a trick for the bottom LED that makes it easier to install (normally the hardest). I couldn't complete adding the extension hookup wires because I discovered that the shrink tubing I had was way to big, so I will get some from Jon tomorrow.
20170118_101427_zpsjjfe7fb5.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: I was wondering what you had built on the flat car and couldn't figure it out till I saw your next shot.

Curt: Oh, ok, a boom rest! You see how good your getting to be at scratching building

Chet: Thanks for asking. I'm just lurking around, keeping a low profile, trying to behave myself.:rolleyes:

Today, I reprogramed two remote key fobs for the wife's Caddie, and programed a new remote garage door opener. Also packed up all the Christmas decorations, and stored them in the garage loft. Tomorrow I climb up into the attic, and install / wire a HD TV antenna, to pick up broadcast TV. Cable bill just went up to $185 / month for lowest priced cable package, plus Land Line phone and 25 MBPS Internet. I'm 41 miles from the New Liberty Tower, so I should be able to get decent reception. If this works, Cable goes away. I can upgrade internet, keep the phone and still save a hundred bucks / month.

Say Boris: Your right, a lot of money for a bunch of channels for a lot of money which you don't watch!

Now I'm waiting on my local friend Joe to call.

We have antenna TV here, the old rabbit ears I think we bought them at wallmart. It is HD. We get over 20 channels, some of them really good! No cable or dish bill![/QUOTE]

Louis: When I lived in Belair, cable was still in the future. Guy down the street, had a satellite receiver that looked like air defense radar. We had an outside antenna with both external and inside boosters. Got everything from DC, B'more, Philly, Harrisburg, Lancaster and Lebanon PA Mostly, the programing was the same, but the sports programing, especially during football season was really good, with numerous choices.

We visited the MIL and stopped at ShopRite today. I was really sore for some reason. Ended up taking a nap after lunch. Antenna install gets pushed back 'till tomorrow.

Be safe especially if you use a ladder.

Outside antenna, internal & external boosters and from the result I can assume it was all, also perfectly tuned. No wonder you got such good reception, I'd bet the antenna had a good line of sight as well.

Your setup in Belair would still provide a strong digital signal for today's TV, only the TVs have to change. I would bet somebody is still using it or should be!

I want it all! Great cable services, internet, phone, TV and more. I also want an outside antenna setup for broadcast TV. Like my permanent layout, that has to wait.

David, you sir are a very busy and multitalented man! Well done, you need a hot cup of coffee or two!

The antenna receives the carrier signal. The digital or analog sub-signal is decoded/interpreted by the tuner.

HD and Digital antennas are examples of marketing vernacular.
Maybe like HD radio! Now that is a curious subject; digital broadcast radio, a brilliant idea that not many people know enough about.

Good Morning All. 44° and quite foggy again this morning. Temps will be in the lower 70's for the next few days. Should dry things out enough to be able to do the early planting in the garden next week. Baked bread yesterday, four loaves of whole wheat and two loaves of french bread. House smelled good all night long! Fills in the empty space in the freezer from eating all of last springs garden harvest. Augments the wood-burning stove in heating the place as well.
Out in the train shed, I took a break from wiring. Ran trains and painted Preiser people. I do have five of the six staging tracks in place and operable, just one left to go.

Curt - Nice work on the crane tender.
Eric - Looking forward to some pictures sometime in the future. Great that your interest has picked back up.
Sherrel - Are you sure that your brain didn't rot away years ago? Only 1 more day...For me at least, it will be good going back to a President who is older than me...11 out of 12 in my lifetime have fit that.
David - Sewing machine? I thought that I was the only person left that had one! But, I am old-fashioned, I still use a clothesline as well.

Except for early morning Fox Business news, I no longer watch TV, so I can't join that conversation. Wife has Direct TV for her 100's of channels that she watches only about 20.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie I don't know how many Xfinity X1 channels we have and on demand, but the fact is if I watch more than a dozen channels per week I would be surprised. I do get a great bundled package. I'm content with what I pay. the kids love it!

Good morning, all. Yeah, a big cup of coffee sounds good - a little cream, no sugar. I'll get my sugar fix from the doughnuts!! :)
44 and foggy here in SW MO - cloudy all day. Will get to the 60s tomorrow and Saturday. Next week looking nice - sunny and 50s.

Did a little more cutting and shaping of perimeter foam scenery base, put a few instant scenery backgrounds on one wall, getting ready to glue foam to benchwork and lay the first section of roadbed. Being new at this, I'm taking my time - a little scared of getting it wrong, you know - like ending up with the track too close to the scenery, etc.

Curt - I echo everyone else - nice work on that boom car and boom rest. Looks like something I might try some day.

Willie - Foggy here this morning, too. We have a clothesline here, but my wife doesn't like using it - not sure why - I like it, it's what I grew up with. Haven't baked homemade bread in a while - we'll have to get back to it - love the aroma!

Have a good day, everyone!
Johnny

Good morning y'all. 36 and sunny, going to 50 today. I'm not objecting to the mild weather at all.

David - Sewing machine? I thought that I was the only person left that had one! But, I am old-fashioned, I still use a clothesline as well.

Except for early morning Fox Business news, I no longer watch TV, so I can't join that conversation. Wife has Direct TV for her 100's of channels that she watches only about 20.
Everybody have a great day

Willie: I normally don't watch any TV until after lunch. Then I watch one of the re-run channels. I stream Bloomberg TV for business news. Not sure if their channel comes over the air, but they also broadcast on AM 1330 Radio. Should be available on Direct TV. Less hype, and more insight than either Fox Business News or CNBC. Speaking of sewing machines, the wife has two, and occasionally uses one of them.

David: Not for nothing, be careful climbing. Repairs need to be made, but we ain't getting any younger. :rolleyes:

Willie I don't know how many Xfinity X1 channels we have and on demand, but the fact is if I watch more than a dozen channels per week I would be surprised. I do get a great bundled package. I'm content with what I pay. the kids love it!

Louis: I have a whole bunch of on Demand capability, that's built in to the cost of my package. I have yet to use one. I believe I can live with over the air only, that is if it works out. Verizon cheaped out and never wired us for FIOS, so Optima knows there is no real competition here in my area. They offer Internet up to 300 MBPS, while Verizon offers landline phone at twice the price, plus 10MBPS or less DSL and Dish TV as an alternative - For about the same price.

Have a great day.

Good morning all. 33 degrees to start off the day. A little precipitation could be in the forecast for later today. A sweet roll again with the coffee.

Ken in VA beat me to the punch when he mentioned that digital signals will carry further than analog. Many moons ago before we had DirecTV I had two antennas stacked on the roof to get the three channels that were available to us. As I mentioned yesterday, I replaced an old CRT TV set with a new flat screen in the kitched and was really suprised that I was getting local channels with excellent quality. There is a fairly good ridge between us and the transmitters and some were even coming in with excellent quality HD. Don't watch them any way. About the only time we have a network channel (NBC, ABC or CBS) on is when that the only way I can watch my NASCAR race.

I am going to jump back the food. I got an email from the Schwebels bakery in Youngstown, OH about my request to try to have their "Famous Rye" bread shipped to Montana. They no longer ship to customers. Back to the hunt. Joe mentioned that there are a few places in his area where he can find pierogis. We tried a couple of store bought brands and everyone who tried them said that mine were so much better. Mentioned this to the wife last night. Looks like I'll be making them this weekend. Me and my big mouth. This is usually an all day affair as when I do make them, I make a lot of them so we can freeze them for future use.

Gotta get out of here and make a few calls. We are having some issues with trucks trying to get into and out of the Seattle area. Snoqualmie Pass (I-90) has been closed for a couple of days because of snow and this is becoming a problem for receivers who are running low on goods.

Later.

Back