Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

My cable isn't that high but I would like to find an alternative. Do they still broadcast signals over the airwaves? I remember getting only a few channels that way and the wife would not be happy losing home and garden and cooking stuff.
They do still broadcast, and there are now many subchannels, as well as the primary ones.
As for hgtv, et al, we got the lowest price package dish offered those in. Currently $65/month.

Just a quick check-in before checking-out. I got radiation therapy in the morning.
Nighty night.
E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good morning Everybody!

Finally got my wife's car back yesterday!

After that ice storm everybody shop in Baltimore was booked. My wife has her baby back and I am glad it's all over. Date of accident 12/17 picked up the car yesterday 1-17.

The thousand dollar deductible has saved me a few thousand over the many years and many family cars, but it still hurt to put down my bank card to pay it.

She only used $5 in gas in the rental car, I love Chevy!

All is well that ends well, thank God!

Have a great day Everybody!

Talking about bread, here is my favorite. You can find it any number of local Baltimore bakeries.

american-style-pumpernickel-bread.jpg

I always wanted to work in a bakery. They make all kinds of bread, and all they do is loaf all day...

Good Morning Everyone. 46° and overcast skies, with a slight chance of more rain in about two hours. Received about .35" overnight. After today, it's great weather for at least ten days.
Out in the train shed, I didn't spend too much time yesterday. Continued to fasten track and solder feeders. Since the area that I am working on is primarily a staging yard, I am using rehabbed track from previous layouts, which is requiring some ballast removal, cleaning and trimming. Counting the industry spurs, the still flexible plan uses 120' of track and ten turnouts and will require 15 sets of feeder wires. Since it is wired as DC, it is divided into six blocks, one per track. Two feeders each and three more for the ladder. Better safe now than sorry later. I also began to think about where to locate the power supplies for interior lighting and accessories on the layout. In addition to all of my old MRC and Tyco-type transformers, I have eight power supplies salvaged from the computer repeater stations (I think that's the term) from work when we switched to WiFi years ago.

Eric - Keep it up brother. You will kick this soon.
Johnny - Man, that BP is something to fix. I went 35 years without seeing a doctor and when I finally went to the ER about something else, they freaked out at my 203/140! Inexpensive medications keep it around 125/80 now except when I go to a doctors office!
Chet - I'll have to look for that rye bread and try it. I generally eat only rye or homemade wheat bread and I am a sucker for good rye.
Louis - While they are always newer to me, I dislike using rental cars as I am more comfortable in my old clunker...I know where all the control knobs are for one thing.

Well everyone have a great day.

Willie

T.V. is a wasteland, it rots your brain and gives you cancer. I avoid it. Back when there were three channels everybody was speaking the same language. We all waited for the Hill Street Blues "butt shot" on Friday and there actually WAS "watercooler" conversation about last weeks shows. Now with 9999 channels a person MIGHT watch 10-15 at the most on a regular basis. NOT the same 10-15 someone else may watch so the "inside" jokes play to smaller and smaller crowds and nobody knows what anybody else is talking about because they have NO commonality of experience. A true Tower of BABEL situation is being created before our eyes!

Morning, everyone. 36 and foggy right now. Expecting 50s and 60s through the weekend.

I agree - If we're going to "make America great again," Detroit needs to have a big part in that. We'll see how the new Prez works this out.

BB - my wife and I have never had cable, satellite, etc., except for one year (about 10 years ago). Main reason is we just don't watch much tv; but also the waste (so many crap stations) and cost. So we only get broadcast, sometimes with an in-attic antenna, sometimes (like now) with a high-tech "rabbit ears." For instance, right now we get 11 stations, including 2 oldies stations and 3 PBS stations that have cooking, home improvement, gardening, etc. kinds of shows.

Eric - We're praying for you this morning. Stay strong. Keep in touch.

Willie - I've been on low-cost BP meds for about 6 years now, and normally they keep it under control.

Bye for now.
Johnny

My cable isn't that high but I would like to find an alternative. Do they still broadcast signals over the airwaves? I remember getting only a few channels that way and the wife would not be happy losing home and garden and cooking stuff.

TV signals are still broadcast over the air. They are digital now. I used over the air until 9-11. When the towers came down, the NY TV transmitters were destroyed. The substitute transmitters were low powered and I was no longer able to pick them up. Now that the Freedom Tower is complete, they are transmitting from the top of that. Digital permits the broadcaster to transmit multiple broadcasts by splitting the channel, so there are actually more stations available than before. You just need a new style flat antenna. There are devices, Roku etc., that allow you to receive other streams of programing, on your TV without cable.

Hopefully, my efforts will work, I am tired of paying a high monthly fee for 300 channels of nothing.

Good morning. Time to grab a cup. Started off at +20 degrees this morning and may get above freezing for the first time in a month.

Eric - Glad to see you in here. Hang in there.

Lurking Joe - Good morning.

Willie - Rye bread is my favorite and like I mentioned, they have no idea what a good rye bread is up here. I will get some one way or another. Schwebel also make a rye bread that is close to the Beefsteak Hearty Rye called Famous Rye. I have emailed the company nut have not heard back yet. There is a bakery in Bozeman that bakes an assortment of breads, but would be about a 20 mile detour and from what I hear they only do rye bread one day a week and it is usually sold out in a matter of an hour or less.

Louis -
You have my mouth watering. Good looking loaf of bread. I sure got spoiled when we lived in south Florida as there were so many great bakeries down there.

For TV we have had DirecTV ever since it first became available out here. It has been slowly increasing in price with us adding HD receivers. No interested in any premium channels at all. If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch TV through their web site. My son, who is a computer geek showed us how to connect. We do have a Wi Fi system set up at home. Using a laptop, I connect an HDMI cable to the laptop and can watch. We were big fans of the BBC show Top Gear until they fired Jeremy Clarkson. May and Richard stuck with Jeremy and they now have their own show call The Grand Tour. Those three guys are a real hoot. When we have the time, we'll have to check out what else is available on Amazon Prime. TV is still available over the air. We picked a small flat screen TV for a small space in the kitchen a while back and I was suprised to find that even without any antenna at all connected we can receive a number of broadcast channels. When we first built out house about 40 years ago, even with the best outdoor antenna we could get, we could get only 2 channels, three if the wind was blowing in right direction. In the last couple of years, cable is finally available via phone lines, but we'll stick with DirecTV for now.

Catch you later.

Broadcast TV is great! I just wish we had better signals in Baltimore and Washington. No freedom tower transmissions here. The good thing is you can manipulate the antenna to receive most every Baltimore/Washington channel and when I ran it outside I did not have to manipulate the antenna for most channels. I have RCA non-amplified flat antennas.

That being said I must say I am the happiest Comcast customer. My son tells me our high speed internet is the fastest on any gaming web site. I'm sure that makes him happy. Now he has been working so much overtime he does not have time to play! Even I have been known to play a game of madden online with the young whipper snappers.

Chet the next time you go to Dover make a pit stop in southeast Baltimore and I'll have some fresh and ready for you.

You can buy Pick salami in the US, but my experience from here to NY is they are never fresh. Pick salami has a freshness window more narrow than other dry Hungarian salami can have. Is there now any wonder why I have gout? I recommend a dry Hungarian Salami if you have a chance to buy an authentic one here in the US. They can last for a year or even more if kept cool and dry in a dark place. I love Hungarian deli meats. They don't call them that.

Louis - You're making me hungry. I had Pick salami only one time many years ago, but it was so good that it is hard to forget. When we were doing our regular road trips (which we hope to get back to doing again next summer) we used to stop and visit my cousin in Indiana. They had a mom and pop meat shop close by where they carried Krakus ham from Poland. We would usually get a couple pf pounds of it and a loaf (or 2) of Beefsteak rye bread and have the making of a good sandwich when we were on the road.

I am of Polish heritage and one thing that I love are pierogis. When were were living in south Florida, we could get them, but when we moved back to Montana most people didn't even know what the were. When I was kid I used to help my grand mother make them so I decided to give it a try from memory. I love to cook as well as my wife and after a couple of tries we nailed it. In fact just the other day my wife was thinking that we should make some again. My daughter wanted the recipe and my wife told here that we really didn't have one. It's one of those things where you just know how to do it, a little of this and a little of that and shazam, a pierogi.

Afternoon All,

All this talk about Rye bread and meats are making me hungry. Today I completely assembled a signal head and tested it successfully. I discovered a trick for the bottom LED that makes it easier to install (normally the hardest). I couldn't complete adding the extension hookup wires because I discovered that the shrink tubing I had was way to big, so I will get some from Jon tomorrow.

As most of you probably know the cop killer was captured here. A reporter was on the scene and people were cheering! Of course he got banged around and was whining about being beat up. Of course not only did he kill a cop and indirectly a deputy, previously he killed his pregnant ex-girlfriend and the baby, he shot her brother who is still in the hospital. What a piece of crap.

Joe-We are looking at downsizing our TV costs also. Like others we watch about 6-8 channels regularly and have 10,000 channels of crap.

20170118_101427_zpsjjfe7fb5.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back