Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Is this the one - How many do you want?

bread.jpg

Sherrel:

Nice photograph of the Beefsteak Rye.....Where's the Swiss cheese and corned beef...ooops and a cold beer?

Greg

Constant rain and snow melt for the last 24+ hours; with all the tile gone, we can suddenly see how much water has actually been coming in. It's a *lot*. It comes in from the middle of the north wall and from the NE corner, right at the junction of wall and floor, forms a single stream, circles neatly around where we have the stuff piled up, and down the floor drain. That new French drain should take care of it.

I feel a little guilty about talking about this so much, especially in the same thread as Eric, so here's something a little different some of you may be interested in:

Started the Lansing Citizens Police Academy last Thursday. It's similar to the state police academy I was at a few months ago, but older and far more developed. Had the Intro from the Chief, who I'd met a couple of times before, and toured the 911 Center. Next session is supposed to be on use of force and apprehension techniques. The chief said I might be able to tase a classmate, if I volunteered to get tased in return. I'm thinking about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Are you sure ?? Here's a heads up.

Jane
A guy who purchased his lovely wife a pocket Taser for their
anniversary submitted this:Last weekend at Larry's Pistol & Pawn Shop I was looking for a little
something extra for my wife Toni. What I came across was a
100,000-volt pocket/purse- sized taser. The effects of the taser were
supposed to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on an
assailant. The idea is to allow my wife, who would never consider a gun,
adequate time to retreat to safety.
WAY TOO COOL!!
Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home. I loaded in
two AAA batteries and pushed the button. Nothing! I was disappointed.
But then I read (yes, 'read') that if I pushed the button AND pressed
it against a metal surface at the same time; I'd get the blue arch of
electricity darting back and forth between the prongs and I'd know it
was working.
Awesome!!! (Actually, I have yet to explain to Toni what that burn
spot is on the face of her microwave).
Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that
it couldn't be all that bad with only two AAA batteries, right?!!
There I sat in my recliner, my cat Gracie looking on intently
(trusting little soul) while I was reading the directions and
thinking that I really needed to try this thing out on a flesh and
blood moving target. I must admit I thought about zapping Gracie (for
a fraction of a second) and thought better of it. She is such a sweet
cat. But, if I was going to give this thing to my wife to protect
herself against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would
work as advertised. Am I wrong??
So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading
glasses perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in
one hand, and taser in another. The directions said that a one-second
burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst
was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily
control; a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant
flop on the ground like a fish out of water. Any burst longer than
three seconds would be wasting the batteries.
So, I'm sitting there alone, Gracie looking on, with her head cocked
to one side as if to say, 'Don't do it,' reasoning that a one-second
burst from such a tiny little ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad. I
decided to give myself a one-second burst just for the heck of it. I
touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button..... And HOLY
$HIT, WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION, @!@$$!%!@*!! I'm pretty sure
Jessie Ventura ran in through the side door, picked me up in the
recliner, and body slammed us both on the carpet, over and over and
over again!!!
I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, with
tears in my eyes, body soaking wet, both nipples on fire, testicles
nowhere to be found, with my left arm tucked under my body in the
oddest position, and tingling in my legs.
You should know, if you ever feel compelled to 'mug' yourself with a
taser, that there is no such thing as a one-second burst when you
zap yourself. You will not let go of that thing until it is dislodged
from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor. SON-OF-A-...
That hurt like hell!!!
A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at
that point), collected what little wits I had left, sat up and
surveyed the landscape. My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of
the fireplace. How did they up get there? My triceps, right thigh,
and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it had been
shot up with Novocain, and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs. I'm still
looking for my testicles!! I'm offering a significant reward for
their safe return.
Still in shock,
Earl

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's all buy a few loaves of Beefsteak Hearty Rye and send them to Chet - we can make his front porch look like a freight station! :)
Ssh-h-h-h - it'll be a secret!
Raincoat2

Afternoon All,

Started cleaning up the pool for use. It will take about a week before everything is spic and span. The grand kids can't wait. Worked on the flat car today and finished it (but forgot to take a picture) and did the prep work to start on the signal light tomorrow. Unfortunately I realized that I need to make a second light when I do my addition:(.

Garry- Safe travels.

VA Ken- I used to be like that in earlier years. My longest trip non-stop trip was from Pascagoula MS. to Youngstown OH. Nowadays I'm lucky to go 2 hours without stopping.

Karl- Sounds like a great project. I look forward to seeing your progress and the finished project.

Toot- Good luck with the MTH loco.

Eric- Good to hear from you. Stay tough buddy.

Willie- I misunderstood, I thought the Dad was the train guy and that they were much closer to you.

Johnny- Take care of yourself, A Diastolic of 110 is extremely bad.

Sherrel- I laughed when I read about the carpet. Been there-Done that-Have the trophy!

I hope everyone has a good night.

I have a quick question. Has anyone heard from Joe lately? I haven't noticed him posting recently. Hope he's alright.

Curt - I've slowed down a bit since I turned 65. I don't like riding at night as my night vision is suffering. This past October, I did a day trip of 720 miles from Gadsden, AL back home here in VA in 11 hours. In 2010, I did an endurance ride of just under 1100 miles on the bike in less than 17 hours. The bike has a 6 gallon tank so I can get over 200 miles between gas stops.

Good evening. Raining and 44*F in central MD.

Garry - have a safe trip out West!

Johnny - glad to hear you escaped the worst of the ice storm. Bummer about the BP though! I've been dealing with it for the past 15 years taking 5 different meds. I never would've known I had it but my wife kept nagging me to go "get a checkup" when I was in my mid 40's - and that's when they discovered it (160/100)! Hate to admit it but she probably saved my life...

Eric - hang in there, get the rest you need, we're all here for you!

Toot - didn't know your wife is fighting cancer, sorry to hear that!:(

Karl - that T-3 is lookin' good, if BC was modeling that era I'm sure he'd have you build 40 of those for him!

Curt - say hello to Phil for me!

Bruce - I, too, want to see Detroit make a comeback, I grew up not far from there (off I-96). My father worked for AMC until he got hired into USDOT and we moved to MD.

Haven't done much mrr stuff over the past week, this problem with my left leg [tendonitis or a pinched nerve?] has me in almost constant pain. Not crippling pain, but enough to drain my energy. Made an appointment with the ortho doc but the earliest he can see me is Jan 31.

Ray, don't forget to set the mth engine from smph to pwm as far as speed and motion. It makes it a lot easier to comsist them. I'm not at home, so I can't check for sure, but I think you set cv52 to 1.

I was reading about that and other bits on consisting and trying to comprehend it all. I will say this, MTH seem to have done a full blown DCC decoder exercise with this release. One thing that intrigued me were the several choices of resetting to default. It's obvious that this engine has had some customising of CV's e.g. momentum has been set fairly high and I suspect speed curves have been altered. Haven't tested it on DC yet, but I know the guy I got it from wants dual capability. When I did do a reset I chose the option to only return the defaults to factory, left any custom changes as they were. Wasn't really expecting to get into a total reprogramming exercise with this thing.

I might, after seeing the extent of this PS3 update, consider trying to get my early ones brought up to scratch. Have to see if I can find that local dealer that said they could do it.

I have a quick question. Has anyone heard from Joe lately? I haven't noticed him posting recently. Hope he's alright.

Chet: Thanks for asking. I'm just lurking around, keeping a low profile, trying to behave myself.:rolleyes:

Today, I reprogramed two remote key fobs for the wife's Caddie, and programed a new remote garage door opener. Also packed up all the Christmas decorations, and stored them in the garage loft. Tomorrow I climb up into the attic, and install / wire a HD TV antenna, to pick up broadcast TV. Cable bill just went up to $185 / month for lowest priced cable package, plus Land Line phone and 25 MBPS Internet. I'm 41 miles from the New Liberty Tower, so I should be able to get decent reception. If this works, Cable goes away. I can upgrade internet, keep the phone and still save a hundred bucks / month.

Chet: Thanks for asking. I'm just lurking around, keeping a low profile, trying to behave myself.:rolleyes:

Today, I reprogramed two remote key fobs for the wife's Caddie, and programed a new remote garage door opener. Also packed up all the Christmas decorations, and stored them in the garage loft. Tomorrow I climb up into the attic, and install / wire a HD TV antenna, to pick up broadcast TV. Cable bill just went up to $185 / month for lowest priced cable package, plus Land Line phone and 25 MBPS Internet. I'm 41 miles from the New Liberty Tower, so I should be able to get decent reception. If this works, Cable goes away. I can upgrade internet, keep the phone and still save a hundred bucks / month.
My cable isn't that high but I would like to find an alternative. Do they still broadcast signals over the airwaves? I remember getting only a few channels that way and the wife would not be happy losing home and garden and cooking stuff.

Back