Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Hiya Gang!

Another weekend without trains, but another weekend closer to getting them back in action. We started working on the basement rehab this week. pulling up old carpet on the steps, removing a bajillion tacks, and rebuilding steps that were falling apart beneath the carpet. new moldings on the staircase and the exposed woodwork painted, I cut all the pieces to fit, applied a coat of Henry 430 adhesive and started to apply the peel & stick vinyl plank and trim. Now to pull the rest of the basement carpet. (Oh my achin back!) :rolleyes:

Here's a before and after pic.... steps bare.jpg Steps done.jpg

At this rate, it may take a few weeks, even with my FIL's help. Oh well. The end result will be awesome.

Is that why it's snowing here right now? They're calling for 3 to 5". First day of Spring, Humbug:mad:.

Must be a coastal thing, the stars are out here! :rolleyes: 37° and clear, with no precip for 5-7 days, with daytime temps climbing all week, engine near 80! Wahoo!

It's been cloudy, gloomy, cold, and raining off and on all weekend.
After 5 hours at Firestone, the truck has 4 new tires and an alignment. It turned into a genuine Charlie Foxtrot there. They had ordered my tires, got them in, and somebody sold them to somebody else. They ended up selling me $800 worth of tires for the price quoted, which was $551. Then they tried to perform an alignment. It seems this truck has spent some quality time around some road salt. 4 hours with a torch and sledgehammer, and they got everything close enough it drives straight (which it already did) and won't wear out the tires. I ended up getting the $80 alignment for $45, plus road hazard insurance for free, plus a free oil change next time I need it, plus free rotation and wheel balance for the life of the tires. I still have a $605 credit card bill to pay, but at least I won't end up in a ditch. Or worse.

Hello shop dwellers,

I finally got back from the RPM Conference and it was excellent! [Joe, to answer your Q - it was in Malvern at the Desmond Hotel.] Attended several highly informative clinics and was reunited with friends I haven't seen in over 10 years. I didn't try to shoot any photos because they would have been poor quality [cell phone] and they will have photos on their web site (http://www.rpmvalleyforge.com/) within a few days.

Didn't really find the time to check the Forum while I was in Malvern, so I just spent ~2 hours catching up on all the posts. OMG it looks like it's been a busy weekend!

[E]ric - nice video tour of your digs. Glad you found a way to at least have that fridge on the same floor as your layout, if not in the trainroom itself.

Terry - hang in there bud, sorry to hear of this latest turn of events. We're keeping you in our prayers!

Karl - glad to see your getting closer to actually building a layout. I need to get moving on making my layout op-session-ready once again, especially now that I've committed myself to host a group of the Hagerstown guys in May!:eek:

Rex and William - good to see you guys popping in here for a change!

EriK - hope you recover quickly from that bug, whatever it is!

Curt - Your experience with Windows10 confirms why I am reluctant to "accept" it on my own 'puter. My life is currently chaotic enough as it is, I don't need any more disruption!

BBob - sorry to hear of all the medical problems in your wife's family. Kudos to your wife & in-law siblings for their efforts to ease the suffering.

Chet - our Fusion is a 2011, no touch screens in it at all!:D It served us very well on this trip to the RPM meet this weekend.

Willie - Hope you can still find time to spend in your train shed, rain or shine! I too am staring at another season of lawn mowing and yard chores.

Sherrell - good luck getting your place ready for the return of YOH!

Joe - It's snowing in MD too! At least the paved surfaces here are well above freezing so there won't be any travel issues.

It's past 11pm and I need to get to bed so I can function tomorrow. I know I didn't get to everybody, sorry about that. Good night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl: Really nice work on the stairs (better you than me, I would hurt for a month.lol)
Ken:Sounds like you had a good time on your trip. BTW: upper 30's* here in T-town.

Karl: Really nice work on the stairs (better you than me, I would hurt for a month.lol)
Ken:Sounds like you had a good time on your trip. BTW: upper 30's* here in T-town.

Rex,
Thanks, but don't think that I am not paying for it. The stiffness and pain started shortly after supper last night. Tylenol and Percocet made sleep possible. This morning I feel like the tin man from Oz!

Good Morning Everyone. 32 degrees under partly cloudy skies here in North Central Texas. Spent some quality time in the train shed yesterday in between spells of outdoor chores. Did ballasting on the upper deck and switching on the lower deck.
Terry - Must have been an enjoyable time shuffling the locomotives.
Greg - Looks like a full to-do list. Good luck.
Eric - First thing I installed in my train shed after it was built was the beer fridge. Fortunately it fits under the benchwork, well let's say I built the benchwork over the fridge. Very convenient. But of course there is a 200' walk from the car to the shed, as well as a 250' walk to the dumpster for the empty bottles. Maybe I should get a golf cart like my neighbor. But unlike you, at least I don't have to walk to the beer store, which for me is many miles.
Karl - Nice looking stairs. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that, everything here is on one level.
Ken in MD - Glad you had a good time on your trip. Yeah! That mowing can be a real bear...I mow 3 acres but my other 12 acres are planted in hay...it only has to be cut (and baled) twice a year. Mowing here usually starts in February and goes to late November, with a little bit of a break during August.
Well it's time to put some more wood in the stove and then head for the train shed.
Everyone have an awesome Monday.

Willie

Brrrr. Only 34 here and staying below 60.
Adding wind chill, they say 28 on the radio.
Guess I'd better dig out a coat.
E

Good Morning. 30° and sunny this morning. The forecast continues to promise more snow, but at the same time calls for temperatures of 50° :confused:. Guess that's called hedging their bet :rolleyes:. At daybreak, there was no snow on paved surfaces, just lawns and vehicles.

Good morning, 24 and sunny. More snow melted away over the weekend, still a couple inches on the ground with some bare spots. Highs supposed to be in the mid to upper 30's all week.

At least, no snow coming our way.

I got the entire basement cleaned up over the weekend. Just one area of about 2 square feet of landscape left to install, but I cleaned up all the wood and foam and hardboard piled up and put everything back in place. I think it has been 3 months since I started on the backdrop project!

layout6 007.jpg

more photos later...

According to tracking info, my order from MBK should show up today. Doesn't matter now. I won't be able to do much with my thumb all tore up. Super tender!!
E.

Just dropping in to say.... When something feels like flu, don't rule out the possibility that it's actually... Flu. The upper respiratory crap started up Saturday night after I got home from work. Had to make a bunch of adjustments in my various work obligations today. We'll see about tomorrow. Have a good day everyone. Going back to bed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Just dropping in to say.... When something feels like flu, don't rule out the possibility that it's actually... Flu. The upper respiratory crap started up Saturday night after I got home from work. Had to make a bunch of adjustments in my various work obligations today. We'll see about tomorrow. Have a good day everyone. Going back to bed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the crap I had a while back. Could not shake it off for weeks. Thought it was beat after a week, felt better and then it came back and bit me in the butt.

47 Degrees to start off the morning with the chance of some showers today. With the few warm days we had, the grass looks like it wants to go from brown to green.

David - Great photo. That backdrop sure makes all the difference in the world. Outstanding work.

Karl - Looks like you could make an outstanding wood butcher. Really looks nice. Now can you get back to the trains ????

Terry - Sounds like an interesting experience. Got a good deal. Glad we don't have to put up with the corrosion that salt can create. Nothing like a heat wrench.

I think I maybe getting like Corey. I have a number of projects planned for the layout but for some reason I just can't the inspiration to move forward with any of them. I have a Woodland Scenics kit on my workbench that I am part way into a kit bashing project and can't get motivated to sit down and work on it. I went down to the train room a couple of times over the weekend to get started on a couple of minor projects but just ended up running trains for a while. I need to get motivated!!!

Now I'll have to go back and check all of the weekends posts. Saw them on my phone, but I never turned on the computer all weekend.

Howdy ..

LASM ... Your photo looks great.
Willie .. .. 250' away..... I see why you need a fridge. Not just for beer, but snacks too.
EriK ... I hope you feel better soon.
Chet ... What ? No inspiration ? .... Uh oh.....

I am inspired ... I will be a gandy dancer today correcting some track problems. I'll work on a section where I will be doing the following: Pulling up some track and correcting grading of the wooden sub-roadbed. Re-installing track. Replacing 3 turnouts. Moving another turnout. Re-aligning one of the curve tracks.

Yesterday, my 96 year old Mom spent the day in ER. .... Thankfully she will be okay.

THANKS Chet, Garry; with the layout near completion, I ordered an AIR BRUSH last week and will begin weathering my freight cars.

I have a few inexpensive models to experiment on!

Looks as if Jeffrey's diner has been busy .. just coffee for me .. have several things on tap for today, and I managed to oversleep.
I still cannot seem to make the change that DST brought on. Glad to see that all of you have been busy as well.
WOW, lots of changes to manage for all. Rather than try and comment on each one, I'll just say to all -- "YOUR DOING A FANTASTIC JOB."

Monday 0 % Precip. / 0 in
Foggy this morning, then partly cloudy this afternoon. High 74F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.

OK, I will add a couple comments anyway. TERRY I just had to purchase a couple tires for wife's car .. just 2 of them. Total out the door was $525 .. I almost fainted! P.S. Liked the photo .. I miss the Perris museum .. need to start going again.

DAVID The backdrop really looks good. Nice work.

Thanks, I'll catch the rest of you all later.

Back