Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Good evening. It's cloudy and 51.
Just to make sure I had covered any options, I put a call in to MTH today about the gear issue. I had to leave a voice mail, no response so far. I'm not optimistic, but the engine is currently a very expensive paperweight.

Just to make sure I had covered any options, I put a call in to MTH today about the gear issue. I had to leave a voice mail, no response so far. I'm not optimistic, but the engine is currently a very expensive paperweight.

You could spend a lot more to have something that looks halfas good on your mantle and many people have!

Doing a bit of pictorial detail research on some of MRL's GP35's with dynamic brakes (6 locos in all #401-406) first 2 are non-dynamic, the rest are. #406 is ex SP and looks pretty much mainstream in the body, #'s 403-405 are ex D&RGW and have this cut away on the front of the low hood,
mrl405-1kda.JPG

looks like there may have been headlights there and been plated over, certainly before MRL got hold of them 'cause they're not repainted yet. A bit of judicious cutting and filing to replicate that. I have 3 Athearn RTR's, so only one will get away without, it being in SP Kodachrome.

The other thing that struck me (and it would if I was foolish enough to ignore the grade crossing bells) are the big chunks taken out of the plow from hitting the rails. To some extent that is quite gratifying, I have 3 of the new release Ath SD40's and one of them has suffered the same damage due to a badly positioned plow being low, particularly on one side. Of the 3, 1 is straight, but the other 2 lean in opposite directions with the damaged one having the most. At least I have a prototype to excuse not doing anything about it. Will print this picture so I can keep any sharp eyed critic at bay.

Toot .. Just lurking tonight .. That cutaway area you are talking about was where the "gyro" light generally was.

On the road heading back towards home .. Currently Payson, AZ .. Sone details later, but has been quite cold in the 30's a few nights. Anymore .. To me that is cold. I've lived in S. CA. Too long.

Terry. How is the fire suitation around your neck of the woods?

Good morning Everybody!

It's 49 with 76% humidity in Baltimore. The weather reminds me Thanksgiving is around the corner.

I made my first pumpkin pies yesterday. From the reaction of those who tasted them (I don't like pumpkin pie) it was a hit! I had to do a test run before Thanksgiving. It is unthinkable to serve a sub-par pie on Thanksgiving! In previous years I had bought the pumpkin pies from Costco. This year I will make my own pumpkin pie to add to the blueberry, apple and mince pies I make every year. My job on thanksgiving is the pies, the Turkey and the sauerkraut. The rest my wife does.

My wife makes a very popular home made cranberry sauce (I don't like that either) and she makes the world best gravy to go along with everything else.

My wife tested out a recipe for cranberry cake yesterday and it is fantastic! Yes even I liked it, but I can't eat much cake or pies because I am diabetic. No need to feel sorry for me, I love the other stuff much better and will not sacrifice a bit of dinner to eat pie.

I never cared for fruit. I guess it is just another weird thing about me and there are many!

The Eli Manning and the Giants pulled off another 4th quarter comeback last night. Once again the NFC East has helped the Ravens!

Next comes the real challenge for the Ravens when they take on the Cowboys in Dallas on Sunday.

Boris I hope all is well with you and you get to see our Ravens battle Willie's Cowboys! Win or lose it should be a great game and I expect to see Romo if all is going well for the Ravens.

Look for the Ravens to play an aggressive defense to challenge the Cowboys young quarterback to throw deep to back them up. I don't think he will be able to.

I have not watched much of the Cowboys, but I have yet to see them play max-protection with everybody blocking except for 2 receivers going deep. The few times they threw deep on Pittsburgh it was either traditional play action or trickery. I don't think their young quarterback has a strong enough arm to throw the deep ball. I would tell my defensive backs to not even worry about a deep out pass.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good early morning,
Figured I best check-in while I'm up for a while.
Chemo days are really starting to wipe me out. Yesterday I slept through most of it and kind of dozed off a little on the way home. Once I got home (circa 1600), I laid down and was out like a light until around 2200. Almost the same thing last week as well.
Yesterday the Dr. says we may do the scans and re-evaluate a few weeks earlier due to my continued tumor size reduction. He continues to be impressed by it. I don't notice it anymore really.

Feeling sleepy now. Time to lay down again.
Catch you all later.
E.

Good morning fellers. I figured I'd share my scores from eBay that I received in the mail yesterday.
99abfffe98a288f2dcad6c7c628b514f.jpg

My yard office.
7afc6e4e1067a016ea0c7788f9111a26.jpg

My coal camp houses. I have two of these. To my surprise the camp houses are plastic and not laser cut wood kits.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Tuesday Morning All. Wonderfully clear and 47° this very bright morning in North Central Texas. Supposed to get up to 80° today after 77° yesterday.
Thanks to all who commented on the DPM build. I'll post pictures of the grain elevator as soon as I remember to take some.

Johnny - It generally takes me 2-3 weeks to complete a Merchants Row kit. I'll paint window frames for about an hour, then put it aside when my eyes start to get crossed, then come back a day or two later and do some more. I no longer get in a hurry to complete them as I have plenty of other things to do on the layout.
Bruce -
I really want to model this!
Better start buying/painting those figures now!!!
we ran P.T. in the mornings sometimes thru a dump and half the time it was on fire!
As recently as 15 years ago, that's how they made more room in the landfill at the small town near me. It was privately owned and the owner charged $5 for a pickup load...made a lot of money! He always told the fire marshal that it was vandalism.
Eric - Good report on the tumor size reduction. Regarding the treatments, I think that it (fatigue) is the downside of the treatments. I had a buddy who was taking "aggressive" chemo treatments; in the beginning he came back to work after one day off. By the end of his nine week period, he was taking four days off. He went through three nine week treatments in a years time. He did have to stop riding the Harley towards the end of the nine weeks as well.
Justin - It seems as though all of the "City Classics" kits that I have purchased were plastic. They're nice and easy structures.

Well, it's time to move on this morning. I already hear my wife in the back of the house...little early for her!!!
Everybody have a great day.

Good early morning,
Figured I best check-in while I'm up for a while.
Chemo days are really starting to wipe me out. Yesterday I slept through most of it and kind of dozed off a little on the way home. Once I got home (circa 1600), I laid down and was out like a light until around 2200. Almost the same thing last week as well.
Yesterday the Dr. says we may do the scans and re-evaluate a few weeks earlier due to my continued tumor size reduction. He continues to be impressed by it. I don't notice it anymore really.

Feeling sleepy now. Time to lay down again.
Catch you all later.
E.

E I so happy to hear the tumor continues to shrink, fantastic!

Thanks for checking in.

I have bags and bags of tiny folks that my wife keeps getting me and I thought it would be a cool thing to have rolling around down here, an "India Rails" train.

Nice weather for opening day of Deer season, 47 and clear, the deer will be laying down and the hunters will be the only thing moving this morning.

Good morning, everyone. 38 and foggy on the drive to work this morning, but it's burned off now. High 70's this afternoon. Next few days will be in the 70's, then a cold front hits Friday night, and we get lows in the 20's and 30's, highs in the 40s-50s. Beginning to feel like Montana around here, Chet! :) Anyway, looks like our "Native American Summer" is starting to wind down.

Say, ma'am - could you just run a hose from the coffee maker to my mouth?!?! And yes, just leave that whole tray of doughnuts here, thank you.

Louis - Sounds like you are a frugal and ingenious guy, using the pingpong table, furniture, and other items to form benchwork. But, hey, saving money on benchwork leaves you with more money to spend on locos and rolling stock, right? I may be off a bit, but I calculate that by the time it's done, I'll have about $500 in lumber, screws, and miscellaneous just for our benchwork. And ours is a small-to-medium layout, I'd say.

Willie - Thanks for the encouragement about doing those Merchant's Row structures. I did a little last night, but it will take awhile. Like you said, "lots of other things to do on the layout."

Justin - I plan to order those coal camp structures for our layout next year. Not just for the camps, but looks like they could work in several other places.

Eric - Yes, like others have said, I'm glad to hear the tumor keeps on shrinking. Continued prayers for you.

Going to a Model Train Show in Joplin, MO in a couple of weeks. Told my wife that I hope to find some things there that we need for the layout; otherwise, my Christmas wish list will get a little longer!

Have a good day, everybody.
Johnny (Raincoat2)

Lol I'm a cheat when it comes to my layout. My brother is a former coal miner. So everything on my layout build gets critiqued. Even my conveyer from my loadout was scrutinized. No trees within a 100ft area!!!! Yeah ok and just where is my conveyer supposed to go? Yup shut that down. Have to have coal camp houses though.....then again most towns I've driven through along any spur line here has coal camps. Even if there isn't an active loadout anymore.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

We just had a large portion of the city loose power for about 15 minutes! My wife was about five miles away and it was at least the north west quarter of Lansing. No SUMP! That was what worried me, I was beginning my "Start the Generator" drill when the power came back on. WHEW! The local water table is a foot higher than my basement floor! No power and this place floods! It' is THE major reason I want to move!

Keep on hammering it E, you'll be out of this mess in no time!

Back