Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Good evening gang!

Finally we are starting to make progress on the basement again! The first few ceiling tiles went up in the laundry room this weekend. There is a large building supply auction this weekend, and I will be attending to try and score a deal on recessed ceiling lights (remember the deal I got on 1x4s before there?). Tomorrow night I am going over to Howard Zane's place to discuss lighting on his layout, and to see what he used on his conversion to LED lighting. After all, I don't want to power up the layout and dim the neighborhood in the process! We'll soon be back at it full swing, as the eBay stuff is winding down with the final batch of stuff just getting listed this weekend. Louis has been a big fan of the auction. I just hope he doesn't get into trouble with his SWMBO! In any case, the auctions made more money than I thought they would, and all the profits go to a sweet 80 something year young lady who inherited it all from her brother, but had no clue what to do with it. :cool:

Garry, best of luck with getting the battery replaced in the old ticker regulator. Can't they just put a recharge port on you instead, so you can just recharge instead of replace?? Maybe some bolts on your neck, so we can just recharge you off the car?
images

Eric Great news about the tumor shrinking! Keep it up! On the MR question, my question to you is why?

[stepping up on soapbox] :rolleyes:

After the nitwit article of last issue involving the use of "scotchlock" connectors, my opinion of them has hit its lowest point ever. Promoting the use of a dubious and finicky product that was originally designed as a temporary connection. They fail miserably in vibrating applications, and corroded after only a few years in damp environs (i.e. basements & garages). Want a permanent repair, solder with shrink wrap my boy! I'm sorry but MR seems to be guilty of "dumbing down" the hobby to the least denominator. All while raping our wallets. And I will bet you that the print only readership is still funding the video productions too! That why I'd rather read RMC. Just as many pretty pictures, but better articles where you just might learn something. Oh and lately, 10-12 pages more per issue, and a lower price to boot. Or if you really want to go cheap, try http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/ keep ypur Pesos all to yourself! Don't give Klambake any more of your money!!! :mad:

[getting down off of soapbox]

Wow, that made me quite thirsty! Time to trot to the mini fridge! ;)

Good evening gang!

Finally we are starting to make progress on the basement again! The first few ceiling tiles went up in the laundry room this weekend. There is a large building supply auction this weekend, and I will be attending to try and score a deal on recessed ceiling lights (remember the deal I got on 1x4s before there?). Tomorrow night I am going over to Howard Zane's place to discuss lighting on his layout, and to see what he used on his conversion to LED lighting. After all, I don't want to power up the layout and dim the neighborhood in the process! We'll soon be back at it full swing, as the eBay stuff is winding down with the final batch of stuff just getting listed this weekend. Louis has been a big fan of the auction. I just hope he doesn't get into trouble with his SWMBO! In any case, the auctions made more money than I thought they would, and all the profits go to a sweet 80 something year young lady who inherited it all from her brother, but had no clue what to do with it. :cool:

Garry, best of luck with getting the battery replaced in the old ticker regulator. Can't they just put a recharge port on you instead, so you can just recharge instead of replace?? Maybe some bolts on your neck, so we can just recharge you off the car?
images

Eric Great news about the tumor shrinking! Keep it up! On the MR question, my question to you is why?

[stepping up on soapbox] :rolleyes:

After the nitwit article of last issue involving the use of "scotchlock" connectors, my opinion of them has hit its lowest point ever. Promoting the use of a dubious and finicky product that was originally designed as a temporary connection. They fail miserably in vibrating applications, and corroded after only a few years in damp environs (i.e. basements & garages). Want a permanent repair, solder with shrink wrap my boy! I'm sorry but MR seems to be guilty of "dumbing down" the hobby to the least denominator. All while raping our wallets. And I will bet you that the print only readership is still funding the video productions too! That why I'd rather read RMC. Just as many pretty pictures, but better articles where you just might learn something. Oh and lately, 10-12 pages more per issue, and a lower price to boot. Or if you really want to go cheap, try http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/ keep ypur Pesos all to yourself! Don't give Klambake any more of your money!!! :mad:

[getting down off of soapbox]

Wow, that made me quite thirsty! Time to trot to the mini fridge! ;)
I feel the same. Tell you how they have project layouts you can build but!!!! Pay for it! Bout the only good thing I got was their layout book for 4x8 layouts. I did use some of their ideas for mine but even when I was a subscriber they still want you to pay more just to watch their videos. I'm an RMC fan. First train mag I ever got. Love them!!!

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Anybody recognize this? I'm unable to give any context, except I found it on a site that was mostly about the atomic bomb tests in the 1950s.

5d72fcbeab845ae74e833ed86cb8438e.jpg

This one, I vaguely remember from an early 1960s Popular Mechanics. The idea was, when you got to your destination airport, you would detach and fold the nacelle, wings and tail assembly and pull them behind the car like a trailer.

8bd88f261c82fb35696a97dcbadacd0a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl I agree with you about MR magazine, but for different reasons. I am the type of modeler they dumb it down for, but it just does not appeal to me. Out of all the issues I have had in 2 separate years of subscribing I have not enjoyed 10% of them.

There is one thing you have not considered in your assessment of MR magazine. E has little else to keep him busy right now. It's amazing how fast you go through reading materials when your sidelined with health problems for an extended period of time. Watching TV can be mind numbing, NPR gets boring.

Even a sub-par train magazine or a train magazine that does not quite appeal to the particular modeler is better than reading people magazine or some other garbage.

I have subscribed to MR magazine twice in the last 4 years. Each time when my subscription runs out I say "why did I pay for that?" not because it is all that bad. Rather it just does not appeal to me. I did the same with OGR magazine, they are prototypical crazy to me, "come guys did you notice the third rail under the coal train?"

On the other hand I love Trains magazine, Classic Trains magazine and my favorite; Classic Toy Trains magazine! I renew those every year and buy several special editions.

If newspapers still look liked this magazines would be less important to those of us stuck on the sidelines.

Good morning Everybody!

43 with 60% humidity in southeast Baltimore.

Have a great day Everybody!

Hey, howdy, hey! 41 and climbing. A day for scooting has presented itself, I must heed the call of the open road. I'll take the camera and get those gondola pics. Maybe some action shots of deer hunters, ya never know. I should be laying track but I'm going to slack off and go have even more fun!

Hope the headaches have eased, Gomez. The soothing steam ease the pain at all? What WAS the matter with it? Did it fire right up as though nothing was wrong? WAS there anything the matter with it? Just curious.

Hope the headaches have eased, Gomez. The soothing steam ease the pain at all? What WAS the matter with it? Did it fire right up as though nothing was wrong? WAS there anything the matter with it? Just curious.
It had a consist address entered. I set cv19 (consist address) to 0, and it took off.
If you use an NCE system, sometimes it will enter a phantom consist address into random decoders it there happens to be, for example, a short that causes power to be dropped.

It had a consist address entered. I set cv19 (consist address) to 0, and it took off.
If you use an NCE system, sometimes it will enter a phantom consist address into random decoders it there happens to be, for example, a short that causes power to be dropped.

EXCELLENT! I knew it had to be something small and from what I've seen of your abilities I was very confident it would be no trouble for you to have it ship shape in no time. It was during a "mass movement" when many were running that it went kerflooey.

Good Morning All. 46° with clear skies this morning. Not a lot going on right now, I should be cutting firewood, but I felt lazy yesterday and already have over half of what I will need already cut. Still too warm here for heat yet. Even when the outside nighttime temperatures are in the mid-40's like now, inside the house it is still 72°. Expect that to change Friday afternoon when we get a "blue norther" with NW winds around 25 mph.
Out in the train shed, I started another structure, Atlas's Middlesex Manufacturing Co. Not too sure what kind of manufacturing it will eventually house. I actually have two of this kit with the original intention of combining them for a really large industry, but I haven't decided for sure. There's room for that, but it might overwhelm the scene. Easy to paint all of the windows though, as they are detached and need to be installed after I spray-paint them. An unfortunate downside to this structure is the railroad dock doors are spaced a scale 22' apart, 44' from center of the first to third. There's three of them and I still won't be able to line up two 50' boxcars at the same time.

Bruce, Johnny - No basements in Texas to flood or build railroad empires in. That's why I had to build the train shed out back.
Chet - I always paint and detail all four sides of my buildings. I've seen "cab-view" videos on YouTube where the modeler didn't do that, and it really takes away from the overall effect. There was a really great old-timer (can't remember his name just now) that advocated using plain styrene for the "unseen" sides of kits...long before today's technology came along. Many of my structures are visible from all sides due to being on peninsulas.
Garry - Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow. Sounds like a routine thing for the doc.
Karl - How lucky you are to know Howard Zane. I have always admired his Piedmont Division.
Bruce - Be safe on the scooter. Sounds like a great day for a ride. Kerflooey, I like that word.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning, all. 45 and sunny here. Tomorrow is supposed to be fantastic, 77 and sunny - my wife and I are both taking the day off - probably work in the yard. Get a tan? Friday that blue norther that Willie talked about will hit us, too - nighttime temps into the 20s, daytime in the 40's and 50's.

you-smell-coffee-angry-cat.jpg

Willie - We're set for firewood. The guy we bought this house from last year left several cords. "Firewood for Sale!!"

Got to run. Talk with you all later.
Johnny (Raincoat2)

Good Morning. Starting the day off at 33 degrees and light snow with a winter weather advisory out for the are.

Willie - I know exactly what you mean about seeing partially unfinished building when watching cab rides. I do enjoy these videos as it really gives a totally different perspective of a layout.

Karl - I am not a fan at all of the Scotchlock connectors. I have had many problems with them when restoring vehicles. They're fine for an emergency fix, but I solder any connections and never have any problems. When ever possible, I'll usually replace an entire wiring harness rather than patching things up. All connections on my layout are soldered. I do keep the connectors handy, but use them as a last resort.

Beady - Interesting photos. I have seen them before, but they are cool. Some of the ideas that were introduced many years ago are sort of comical today.

Curt - See you are moving right ahead with the signals. They'll be quite an addition to your layout.

Garry - Best of luck tomorrow. I have a couple of friends who have the pacemaker and they also say that the surgery is pretty minor. Hope all goes well.

Still no Tap Talk for the forum. Missing out of some interesting posts.

Catch you later. im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gif

Good Morning All. 46° with clear skies this morning. Not a lot going on right now, I should be cutting firewood, but I felt lazy yesterday and already have over half of what I will need already cut. Still too warm here for heat yet. Even when the outside nighttime temperatures are in the mid-40's like now, inside the house it is still 72°. Expect that to change Friday afternoon when we get a "blue norther" with NW winds around 25 mph.
Out in the train shed, I started another structure, Atlas's Middlesex Manufacturing Co. Not too sure what kind of manufacturing it will eventually house. I actually have two of this kit with the original intention of combining them for a really large industry, but I haven't decided for sure. There's room for that, but it might overwhelm the scene. Easy to paint all of the windows though, as they are detached and need to be installed after I spray-paint them. An unfortunate downside to this structure is the railroad dock doors are spaced a scale 22' apart, 44' from center of the first to third. There's three of them and I still won't be able to line up two 50' boxcars at the same time.

Bruce, Johnny - No basements in Texas to flood or build railroad empires in. That's why I had to build the train shed out back.
Chet - I always paint and detail all four sides of my buildings. I've seen "cab-view" videos on YouTube where the modeler didn't do that, and it really takes away from the overall effect. There was a really great old-timer (can't remember his name just now) that advocated using plain styrene for the "unseen" sides of kits...long before today's technology came along. Many of my structures are visible from all sides due to being on peninsulas.
Garry - Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow. Sounds like a routine thing for the doc.
Karl - How lucky you are to know Howard Zane. I have always admired his Piedmont Division.
Bruce - Be safe on the scooter. Sounds like a great day for a ride. Kerflooey, I like that word.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

Absolutely! I ride the back roads in the city, dirt county roads and through cemeteries, farm lanes and State Game Area two tracks! I try to stay as far from "regular" traffic as I can get! It's just a lil 50cc "Tao-Tao". It does not go very fast, 35-40 mph MAX downhill downwind! I put-put along and "zone out" in the awesome countryside, it's quite relaxing. I have to wait for SWMBO to return this morning before I can split, I need gas money and she has it! I'll put on an orange hat just to be on the safer side, I'll be out in farm country. Not much bow hunting activity this October in the areas I was riding, no trucks parked along the roads. I'll see what is up with the shotgunners round these parts.

Back