Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

Good morning everybody!

64 with intermittent light rain in southeast Baltimore.

Like Boris in the Garden state our high temperature has been and gone. We were at 70 at midnight, but temperatures are continuing to fall. The falling temperatures are predicted to continue right on through the night.

Yesterday Baltimore set a record high temperature for 11/06 of 80.

As Phil said thank you for the all the lessons, the best thing about this forum is the depth of knowledge the members share, I enjoy it!

Have a great day everybody!

Yesterday I posted a rare locomotive, today a much more common one.
7604cs-b&o.jpg

Louis: Nice... That's why Chessie Sys and B&O are so appealing to modelers.

Good morning to all Rail Setters and Spike Drivers,
How is everything this morning at Jeffreys' Dinner? Hi Flo and Francine, how are you both doing this morning, Great Ha, that's good to hear. I'd like some coffee and a Apple Fritter if you would. Thanks.

Per WW: It's Clear -[which it is], 60.4 °F - Feels Like 60.4 °F;
Winds are from the SSE at 3.2 mph;
The Barometer reads 30.12 in/Hg;
Humidity is at 51% and dropping till 5:00PM and will increase to 78% at 11:00 Pm.

Fireless steamer. they were quite common, even in the 1970s. There is one at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania. I also recall seeing them working at various locations. The one at the Delmarva Power & Light in Edgemoor Delaware had no trouble handling 20 car blocks of loaded 70 ton coal hoppers. Others were at the PP&L Holtwood PA, Power plant,and Texaco's facility in North Claymont, DE. They needed an external supply of steam, and were quite quiet, as I recall. The one at Texaco, was painted fire engine red, and had the Texaco Star centering the front. Wish I had carried a camera with me.

Say Joe: Thanks for the info on these fireless, compressed air Loco's, I didn't realize they had that much tractive ability. They must have been built in Europe due to the compression bumpers on the front. It's also interesting that they have the crossheads mounted under the front of the cab rather than at the front like other steam loco's.

64° here with 100% rain all day. Not at the moment however.
Waiting on a ride to another urgent care facility to maybe find out something about this mouth/throat issue.
Really don't want to (who does) but it must be done.
I'm just scared to death to potentially hear that damnable "C" word. Unfortunately, this is something I know too many of you know all too much about up close and personal. I lost my Mother to it almost 3 years ago (12 JAN 2013). (My railroad is built in her honor.)
I'll check in later on.
E.

Say Eric: I hope all goes well with your check up.

Good morning. Working on the second cup of coffee. Woke up to a beautiful morning. Clear skies and 17 degrees.

View attachment 53591

Say Chet: Nice scene, that amount of snow fall, looks like about 4" isn't too bad but makes for interesting driving alright.

Say Joe: Thanks for the info on these fireless, compressed air Loco's, I didn't realize they had that much tractive ability. They must have been built in Europe due to the compression bumpers on the front. It's also interesting that they have the crossheads mounted under the front of the cab rather than at the front like other steam loco's.

David: I don't know where they were built, but the ones I'm familiar with were probably built domestically. I know I was surprised to see them actually working in intended service. I was also surprised at their traction power. This was in the 1970s Of course power plants and refinerys generated a lot of steam, so there was a readily available source of steam for the critters. Check out this link for more information and photos.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/steam21.html

Keep us posted BigE, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Beautiful picture Chet!

I love the change of seasons, Florida is not for everyone. Its a good thing because it would get rather crowded.

Boris I agree B&O and Chessie paint schemes are fantastic and I could never pick one over the other, that is why I buy both!

TOOT- Have you ever ridden on the COFFEE POT tourist train ? Cute little engine. It runs at the PICHI RICHI Railway.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
GOT IT! 4 big loops and two little ones, a figure 8 and some primitive yards. Enough to keep everybody interested and no reverse loops!
WIN_20151107_171628.JPGEven a 'roundhouse' just to the right of the crossing, LOL! My 'turning spur'.

Just a rough something to get through the holidays, not too fancy, no elevations, no scenery, just trains. Next year I 'got plans'.

Last edited by a moderator:
TOOT- That's the one ! I've had it in my file since March. I did forward it to those modelers I have an 'E' address for.

Chet- You'd have to travel to AUSSIELAND.

Phil

Bet you looked good in your dress whites. "THE NAVY GETS THE GRAVY"
You crossed oceans, I crossed the Mississippi. lol

Phil

Just got back from the symphony. Yes, I went to the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra tonight with my landlord.
We missed the first half but that's ok. I really wasn't much feeling like public socializing anyhow.
At least we caught half of Beethoven's 7th.

I had called him to see if he wanted to work on my back door tomorrow. It's a French door that has pretty much rotted out from the wall. He got the replacement for it - we just need to install it. His family is out of town so I was calling to see if he wanted to work on it tomorrow. Instead, he got the notion to go to the symphony - on 20 minutes notice, all the way deep into downtown and with no tickets.

Now I feel all cultured and "stuff". I even drank a frosty cold Beck's beer. Been a while since I've had one of those. :cool:
Been quite a while since I've done any "high-phalluttin" cultural stuff. Maybe as far back as the late-80s with my girlfriend to see the Claude Monet exhibit at the High Museum of Art next door to the symphony hall at the Woodruff Arts Center. As fate would have it, the Norfolk Southern building is right next door. That's on Peachtree St. in mid-town.

Boy it sure is a different world when you get downtown into that stuff and hang with the "beautiful people". :rolleyes:
E.

AaaHH! That's a pity E, only getting to hear Beethoven's 3.5 isn't as rewarding and could get you classed as a cultural Philistine.

AaaHH! That's a pity E, only getting to hear Beethoven's 3.5 isn't as rewarding and could get you classed as a cultural Philistine.

I thought about the 3.5 part as well. Didn't know if anyone would get it.
That's ok. I have all of Beethoven's symphonies and piano concertos on LPs/vinyl. Too bad I don't have a turntable!

I could also look at it in a positive way:
I "only" had to sit through 3.5 of Beethoven's 7th so I didn't have to get all antsy about being in a public venue with a thousand strangers all about me.

Guess it depends on one's point of view.
E.

Personally, I would prefer a good piano piece.
Sonata #14 in C sharp, opus 27.
The "Moonlight Sonata".
That one just makes me melt away.

Last time I sat at a piano I played some of the right hand parts and little of the left hand. That was probably 15 years ago.
I can't even read sheet music much anymore. Maybe like a kindergartener with ABCs would be close. 1st grade at best.
E

Personally, I would prefer a good piano piece.
Sonata #14 in C sharp, opus 27.
The "Moonlight Sonata".
That one just makes me melt away.

Last time I sat at a piano I played some of the right hand parts and little of the left hand. That was probably 15 years ago.
I can't even read sheet music much anymore. Maybe like a kindergartener with ABCs would be close. 1st grade at best.
E

If you'd played it the other way around you could have called it "Lefty's moonlight Sonata" (Righty's doesn't sound "right" somehow)

My very favourite bit o' music is this "bit" by Richard Strauss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLuW-GBaJ8k Only thing is it's the best bit, have listened to a fair bit of the rest (goes on for an hour I think), but seems to me he wrote that first soul inspiring lot, then thought "Hang'on a minute, I've got another 58 minutes to fill up yet??"

Back