Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

Thanks Sherrel. I'm not going to worry about it until spring. The snow will probably melt off and then the wind will move the leaves over a couple of counties.

turbine[1].jpg

I believe that this PA (read about it long ago) was still diesel powered and the turbine unit was during the experimental phase (Terry will be able to confirm or dispute). What is particularly interesting about it is that (also I believe (see how I'm protecting my rear end)), UP converted 3? PA's to EMD power, but didn't follow up because they weren't deemed to be worth it. Looking at this example, it is very E8-9ish, with it's stainless side panels. The "torpedo" tubes on the roof also. Could this be one of those Alco/EMD experiments??

They were charged with steam from an industry fixed boiler.

It's an awesome concept but it must not have generated much power. Probably needed too much water for a larger one to run very far or too expensive to put boilers and more water stops along the lines to be practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an awesome concept but it must not have generated much power. Probably needed too much water for a larger one to run very far or too expensive to put boilers and more water stops along the lines to be practical.

We have one out at the Rochester and Genesee Valley RR Museum. They were used in Industrial locations where they were never far from the Steam boiler to recharge them. Very practical in situations where they could not have coal or oil smoke around or live fires. Some were used in tunnels as well.

http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/clp37/index.htm

Hey, Guys, It's 37 this morning .. supposed to reach 70 with mostly clear overhead! Kind of chilly for this time of year. We actually had to fire up the furnace.

On my last 6 days of Chemo... Then back for a CT scan and visits with the surgeon and oncologist.
Prepared for anything, but hoping for a "Your good for another 50,000 miles".

JOE Are the drivers on 4800 ridged ? Or do they swing some way. I may not be making myself clear.

Louis I believe this is another "one of a kind". Anyone have an extra PA lying around. This would be a great build.

View attachment 53570

Rigid, like in fixed? I believe so. The R1 was not articulated or it would have been classed a DD2. Unfortunately, the R1, and the P5s were long gone by 1967.

Hopefully, the CT scan will show the latest chemo round to be successful.

The Uncle Pete PA is part of the coal fired turbo experimental, Isn't it?

BTW: the temperature went to 75°, late this morning. Not a record as it was 80°, in Newark in 1948.

How about THIS?
View attachment 53583"Fireless steam"??? I neva HOID a such a 'ting!

Fireless steamer. they were quite common, even in the 1970s. There is one at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania. I also recall seeing them working at various locations. The one at the Delmarva Power & Light in Edgemoor Delaware had no trouble handling 20 car blocks of loaded 70 ton coal hoppers. Others were at the PP&L Holtwood PA, Power plant,and Texaco's facility in North Claymont, DE. They needed an external supply of steam, and were quite quiet, as I recall. The one at Texaco, was painted fire engine red, and had the Texaco Star centering the front. Wish I had carried a camera with me.

View attachment 53579

I believe that this PA (read about it long ago) was still diesel powered and the turbine unit was during the experimental phase (Terry will be able to confirm or dispute). What is particularly interesting about it is that (also I believe (see how I'm protecting my rear end)), UP converted 3? PA's to EMD power, but didn't follow up because they weren't deemed to be worth it. Looking at this example, it is very E8-9ish, with it's stainless side panels. The "torpedo" tubes on the roof also. Could this be one of those Alco/EMD experiments??
That was a UP coal turbine experiment. The lead unit was indeed a PA. Not surprisingly, the morphodite-looking creation didn't work as well as hoped, and it was scrapped/traded in.

Good morning. It's 70 , dark, and going to 88 later with small chance of rain.

Thanks for the history lessons on the locos. The fireless loco was indeed interesting. The picture of the SD24 Santa Fe 979 is of the same model I have on my layout. Mine is an ATLAS , made in Austria.

Coffee is ready, back later.
Phil

Good Morning. 55° and sunny this morning. Today's high temperature was 69° just after midnight.

Good morning everybody!

64 with intermittent light rain in southeast Baltimore.

Like Boris in the Garden state our high temperature has been and gone. We were at 70 at midnight, but temperatures are continuing to fall. The falling temperatures are predicted to continue right on through the night.

Yesterday Baltimore set a record high temperature for 11/06 of 80.

As Phil said thank you for the all the lessons, the best thing about this forum is the depth of knowledge the members share, I enjoy it!

Have a great day everybody!

Yesterday I posted a rare locomotive, today a much more common one.
7604cs-b&o.jpg

64° here with 100% rain all day. Not at the moment however.
Waiting on a ride to another urgent care facility to maybe find out something about this mouth/throat issue.
Really don't want to (who does) but it must be done.
I'm just scared to death to potentially hear that damnable "C" word. Unfortunately, this is something I know too many of you know all too much about up close and personal. I lost my Mother to it almost 3 years ago (12 JAN 2013). (My railroad is built in her honor.)
I'll check in later on.
E.

Good morning. Working on the second cup of coffee. Woke up to a beautiful morning. Clear skies and 17 degrees.

IMAG0545.jpg

Eric- Thanks for the picture. Thats as close to 17* as I want to get.
BRRRR! That's 67*'s cooler than here in FLA.
Phil

Good morning to all Rail Setters and Spike Drivers,
How is everything this morning at Jeffreys' Dinner? Hi Flo and Francine, how are you both doing this morning, Great Ha, that's good to hear. I'd like some coffee and a Apple Fritter if you would. Thanks.

Per WW: It's Clear -[which it is], 60.4 °F - Feels Like 60.4 °F;
Winds are from the SSE at 3.2 mph;
The Barometer reads 30.12 in/Hg;
Humidity is at 51% and dropping till 5:00PM and will increase to 78% at 11:00 Pm.

Fireless steamer. they were quite common, even in the 1970s. There is one at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania. I also recall seeing them working at various locations. The one at the Delmarva Power & Light in Edgemoor Delaware had no trouble handling 20 car blocks of loaded 70 ton coal hoppers. Others were at the PP&L Holtwood PA, Power plant,and Texaco's facility in North Claymont, DE. They needed an external supply of steam, and were quite quiet, as I recall. The one at Texaco, was painted fire engine red, and had the Texaco Star centering the front. Wish I had carried a camera with me.

Say Joe: Thanks for the info on these fireless, compressed air Loco's, I didn't realize they had that much tractive ability. They must have been built in Europe due to the compression bumpers on the front. It's also interesting that they have the crossheads mounted under the front of the cab rather than at the front like other steam loco's.

64° here with 100% rain all day. Not at the moment however.
Waiting on a ride to another urgent care facility to maybe find out something about this mouth/throat issue.
Really don't want to (who does) but it must be done.
I'm just scared to death to potentially hear that damnable "C" word. Unfortunately, this is something I know too many of you know all too much about up close and personal. I lost my Mother to it almost 3 years ago (12 JAN 2013). (My railroad is built in her honor.)
I'll check in later on.
E.

Say Eric: I hope all goes well with your check up.

Good morning. Working on the second cup of coffee. Woke up to a beautiful morning. Clear skies and 17 degrees.

View attachment 53591

Say Chet: Nice scene, that amount of snow fall, looks like about 4" isn't too bad but makes for interesting driving alright.

Back