Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

This day in 1942 the B&O Railroad becomes one of the first railroads in the east to use diesels to run a freight train.

13619840_10154063652805589_2676057253795165495_n.jpg

Matt and Corey hang in there; in life sometimes you have to have shi, ops,... fertilizer (yeah that's better) dumped on you before you can grow to your full potential.

Good morning, Day 1 of vacation. Bought a fishing license and am heading up to the Boundary Waters for 3 nights.

Listed the house today and it could sell fast, the way the realtor talked. Last time we sold a home it went in 3 days with multiple offers, that was 2012.

I guess I'll work on myself and see what happens. I drank last night and I am blessed with a hangover today. Never had hangovers before so I guess God is telling me something. I'm meeting with my pastor this morning and will attend a meeting tonight. Drinking is clearly not the answer.

Thanks again for the support. I know we are all somewhat strangers but I feel I know you guys better than others.

Have a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang in there and good approach to talk to the pastor. Ours (pastor) is kind of a dud so we went to a marriage counselor. I had some other counseling sessions paid for by my workplace last year, about the difficulties in the job. After 2 medical doctors and 2 counselors suggested finding a new job, I got the message.

Yes I am excited about building a new layout!

Louis-- I love the F series! That is one model I liquidated but am thinking about having a passenger line on the new layout and they will be transition era, probably Empire Builder.

I am going to be out of computer range for several days, hope everyone has a good week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy ..

Bust week..... I saw the heart doctor in Nashville Monday.

This morning, I had three teeth extracted. The doctor wanted to put me to sleep, but I asked not to do it hat way. So, I had a local anesthetic. It's rough that way, but $500 less expensive. .. Feeling sore now, but it will go away in a few days.

My next adventure is to go to SW Ohio, and then go to SE Michigan from there. If I feel up to it, I'll leave tomorrow.

So, I'm not working on the layout for a few days.
----------

Joe ... I like the streetcar photos. I love streetcars.

Corey ... Sorry to hear about things, but glad you will see the pastor.

Matt ... Hoping for the best.

Good morning it's 64 with light showers. First rain for more than a month.

Eric- Glad to hear your dad in with you, it is really great to have that support.

Joe- Love those streetcars!

Corey- The same thing happened to me years ago, the relationship could not be salvaged though, hope you come out better than I did. It seems that she could not deal with me when I was sober. It was like dealing with a different person. She spent so many years paying the bills, looking after the kids, making excuses to all our relatives and friends regarding my behavior and now feels unneeded. I was a lot more predictable when I was drinking. I'm glad you realize that drinking is not the answer, you need a clear mind now to get through all this. I urge you to get back to the program, I fell off several times before I had some success, slips happen in the beginning, just get back to where you were and carry on.

Not much going on around here today, still working on my trestle, going slow because of glue taking time to set.

Have super day everybody!

Mel

Chet- I'm with you on faithful transportation. I bought a new Chevy Astro LT with all the bells that were offered at that time in 1999. Still driving it, the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. I replaced the water pump, tensioner pulley and fan belt last month. This is the first time anything has been replaced that was actually worn out. I have had some classic cars too, having owned an auto body shop for a few years allowed me to do some restorations. I had a 47 Merc coupe, two 55 Chevs, one was a rag top with a frame up restoration, a 56 Ford Crown Vic and a new 69 Chevelle 396 350hp. All I have left now is a toolbox full of Snap-on tools.

This is a Gaggle of trestle bents that have been stored safely away from my cat, I love my cat, but I love my railroad more and he knows that :)

IMG_1811.jpg

Mel

Mel - I owned a lot of cars over the years and I think my '69 Chevelle was probably one of my favorites. We were stationed in Bahrain when I ordered it sigh unseen. Matador red with a white vinyl top and interior. It was so nice back then as you got a list of options and could just about customize a car right from the factory. Like the mid 50's Fords also. The Crown Vic was sharp. I would like to find a good '52 or '53 Ford Crestline. My '59 Impala is my baby, but I still have around 8 vehicles that I can use as daily drivers when the weather is good.

Good idea keep the bents up high. The cars could probably have them shredded in no time.

Afternoon All,

Not much happening this way. It was raining this morning but for most of the day it has just been very overcast with not a breath of wind. Haven't done anything train wise. I talked to Phil for a couple of minutes today.

Has anyone heard from Ken since he left Daytona?

Garry- I hope your mouth feels better and have a safe trip.

Chet- Nice shot.

Matt- Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Eric- Best wishes on your scans tomorrow.

Joe- Another great photo. I believe subs started being painted black with the initial "teardrop" design.

Toot- That video is awesome.

Corey- Keep on plugging away buddy.

Louis- Nice photo.

Mel- Nice looking work on the bents.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie your train room is fantastic and inspiring.

I have been getting ready to purchase my last house (next year or 2 at the most) and I was thinking basement for my train room, but your separate train room is a good idea. Now I'm expanded my search to include properties with a large existing garage.

If you don't mind can I ask the dimensions of your train room?

Thanks for sharing your hobby.

No I don't mind you asking the dimensions. A bit of history first...We don't have basements here in Texas, so I have had to make-do. My first train room was a makeshift lean-to attached to the back of my barn. It was not climate-controlled or varmint-proof but it served me for almost 20 years before I saved up enough money to build my current train shed. It is a building that two out-of-work contractor friends and me built in 2010 and it is 20' x 40' with a 5' front porch. At one end I partitioned off a 7.5' x 20' workshop/storage room. The train portion is 32' x 20'. I have a point-to-point mostly around the walls set-up on two levels. Here is a very rough drawing of the benchwork.
train shed 001.jpg
Dashed line is backdrop between separate sides of the peninsulas. Right now there is no connection between levels. If and when I get the urge, I will build a helix in the box on the lower left, commandeering a portion of the porch (as yet unbuilt). Right now I just operate two separate layouts. The bulb on the left-center is the area that I just completed. All other benchwork except the south wall is already complete.
Hope I didn't bore you or any one else.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Louis - A piece of history I did not know along with a nice photo. Thanks for the post.

Willie - Looks like quite an ambitious project, but a "possible" helix to the upper level? Thanks for the plan.

Think I'll head out to the shop and work on a vehicle. May be attending a car show over the weekend. Need to do some detailing.

Here's my photo for the day. A Milwaukee Road switcher is waiting for another Milwaukee Road to clear the main like so it can pull a box car to the yard.

IMAG0856.jpg
Catch you later.

Good morning folks.

Sunny and beautiful this morning. At least the day is starting out right.

Matt, sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I talked with Gina last night. I guess I have a little hope after the conversation we had. That is, if she's not lying to me again. I guess I'll work on myself and see what happens. I drank last night and I am blessed with a hangover today. Never had hangovers before so I guess God is telling me something. I'm meeting with my pastor this morning and will attend a meeting tonight. Drinking is clearly not the answer.

Thanks again for the support. I know we are all somewhat strangers but I feel I know you guys better than others.

Have a good day.

We're here for ya bud, just put the bottles down!

Good morning folks.

Sunny and beautiful this morning. At least the day is starting out right.

Matt, sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I talked with Gina last night. I guess I have a little hope after the conversation we had. That is, if she's not lying to me again. I guess I'll work on myself and see what happens. I drank last night and I am blessed with a hangover today. Never had hangovers before so I guess God is telling me something. I'm meeting with my pastor this morning and will attend a meeting tonight. Drinking is clearly not the answer.

Have a good day.

Corey, right now almost all your world is in turmoil. Hopefully you and your wife will get things straightened out, and be able to move forward. Your health is important, and not drinking can only help.

Thanks guys. Talked to my pastor, went to work and then a meeting. I feel a little better. Not knowing is what's killing me. Guess my whole life is one day at a time! Thanks again

Has anyone heard from Ken since he left Daytona?
Here I am Curt...:eek:

The Florida trip, and all the hoops we had to jump thru to get my daughter [Stephanie] situated at ERAU, left me totally drained. Furthermore, our last breakfast with Stephanie before our departure was somber and awkward; she was overwhelmed and scared to death. And when we dropped her off at her dorm to say goodbye, she burst into tears and said she felt like she'd "never see us again!" The mood was as if we were leaving her in the Cancer Ward at Childrens Hospital, not to start an exciting new life on her own.

Because of that, I got hit with a crippling case of the Empty Nest Blues when we returned to Maryland. I felt the same as if Stephanie had died - every time I was at the house during a time she'd normally be there, the memories came flooding in! I was so devoid of energy that I mostly took naps when I wasn't at the office or doing yard work. But a Skype conference with her on Sunday evening reassured me that she was finally making friends and adjusting to the new environment, so then I resumed work on the layout that had been hanging in limbo for the past week.

I know this stuff pales in comparison to what a lot of others here at Running Bear's are going thru, another reason I was hesitant to post.

Back