Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Corey & Matt - sorry to hear of your marriage crises!

Eric - glad your father is there to keep you company during this time of trial.

Louis, that's a great photo of the B&O E unit 1449, thanks for sharing it - any idea where that was shot?

Corey - bummer about your slip, but that's not uncommon at your early stage of the game. Just gotta climb back up on that horse and keep riding! I still remember what my first AA sponsor said to me 33 years ago, that I have to stay sober for me - not my wife, not my boss, not the Judge - or anybody else who had the potential to "reward" me! My reward was to avoid making an ass of myself and/or getting sick afterward; not getting arrested for DWI or - even worse - getting in a drunk-driving accident and killing somebody:eek:; staying healthy enough to always show up for work on time. That is what ultimately got me on my knees each morning to ask God to let me stay sober for another day!

Good Morning Folks, welcome to September. 73° with mostly clear skies and 50% humidity here this morning. Chance of thundershowers after noon, but there's already some activity about 45 miles west, moving easterly. Put down some roadbed and track in the train shed yesterday. I'll take pictures later today of the progress. Didn't get as much time out there as I had wished, since household chores got in the way.:(
Let's all get together and send our positive thoughts to Eric regarding his scans etc. this morning. Should be starting in a few minutes.
Joe -
Willie: What are you building, the whole Texas and Pacific?
Santa Fe, Santa Fe, Santa Fe.;);) I have been enjoying your streetcar pictures from the last couple of days.
Corey - You can do it. Starting over is not unusual, see Mel's post.
Garry - Have a safe trip. I go for the full anesthesia, I get bored and fidgety sitting in that chair for that long. I'd also rather not hear someone say "ooops".
Chet - A 2% helix will require 84' of track since my levels are 21" apart. The plan is for a 5' x 8' oval helix with slightly greater grades on the 3' straight sections. In the long run I might forgo it and just stick with the two separate layouts. The room was built with the helix in mind, so adding it will be simple but not easy. I really need to finish more scenery first.
Terry - We all need health insurance to recover from health insurance.
Look, I see Ken over in the corner, welcome back.

Well, everyone have a great day.

Willie

Here is my latest project: A set of signals to govern traffic on the North end of the main yard and terminal. The "mast" signal controls the main line at the far left, while the dwarf controls the yard lead merging onto it.

ClarkAveNorthEndSignals.gif

The signal aspect on the dwarf - red with a white marker light - means "stop-and-proceed-restricted", the equivalent of a flashing red light at a highway intersection. This gives the yard switching crews the flexibility to temporarily foul the seldom-used main line without needing explicit permission from the Dispatcher every single time. Not 100% sure if that was done on the prototype but it seems plausible enough, so it works for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. It came equipped with at least three different startup (or lack of) sequences.

Now that would be really fun down at the club, you know, standing there with a puzzled frown, tinkering and fiddling with the controls, muttering "Must be something wrong with the injectors or something". Waiting for someone to react.

Good morning. An uncommonly warm 65 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the high 80's. The long range forecast has highs next week only in the 60's.

Terry - Cool video. Really enjoyed that. Nice locomotive.

Corey - I think you realize what you did. Take a step back and start again. Sometimes we all stumble a bit. Best of luck for you and the wife.

Ken - Nice photo. Like the project. I had been thinking of doing something like that but it is one of those projects that I haven't gotten around to. Hope you get over the "Empty Nest Blues". Both our kids are married now and out on their own, but thankfully they live very close by and we see them all of the time. My son and his wife are over every Sunday evening for dinner and my daughter comes out a few times a month with the grand kids to raid the refrigerator. I sometimes wonder if she feed them. They're a blast.

What, no Louis this morning? He's usually the first one in the coffee shop.

Guess I better get something done. Later.

Morning All: Starting the day at 58 with an expected high of 94 today .. it hit the 101.3 mark yesterday and I felt every bit of it. Have been working with the neighbor re-constructing a heavy wooden restaurant door which had decided to break apart along the stile on the hinged side. Now the owner wants me to repaint the door and also the iron grill work above and to the sides of the door. Have to work early so as to avoid the heat as much as possible. The door faces West, so it catches the full brunt of the afternoon sun.

Corey, Matt: You guys hang in there. You can do it - just one day at a time.

Ken: Good to see you back - glad the trip was uneventable except for the sayings goodby. I got my fingers crossed that she does well, makes lots of friends, and enjoys her new surroundings. Just remind her how lucky she has it come January when the snow is two feet deep. BTW - nice shot of the TT and RH there. If your not careful - someone may name you "The Signal Man".

JOE .. Cool photos of the street cars .. now you have me wanting to model them too.

Eric: Wishing you the best on the outcome of the scans.

CHET: Tks for the information.

Gotta get moving - later gang.

Good morning. Light rain, calm wind, and 73°. The doom-sayers are talking up the possibility of a Tropical cyclone for the "Holiday" weekend. :rolleyes:

Ken: Obviously, daddy took it worse than his little girl. :) She will be fine, and do well. So will you .

Louis: Not looking good, the Yankees are next...and... It's payback time for last weekend. Go O's.

Corey: It's not the end of the world, my friend. Stay calm, and stay away from the "Sauce". Everything else will work out, if you let it.

SA31Shrewsbury8092012.jpg
My old job, WPSA31, passing through Shrewsbury, NJ, on the former CRRNJ Southern Division

Ken, the Empty Nest Syndrome lasts only so long. It ends just as soon as you realize you can now knock out that wall and expand your bathroom.

Everybody, it's Stupid Question Time. This involves a question where physics and Train Simulator collide: How do you slow or reverse a moving train?

This came up on another forum, where they were discussing the combination of vectors, as in adding 100 mph west + 73 mph east. This made me think of Train Simulator because I've only used the HUD controls, where to stop or slow from, say, 100% throttle you put it into 100% reverse throttle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Good afternoon Everybody!

I am still kicking Chet, thanks for thinking of me.

Being cheap can backfire; I never bothered to fix the A/C in my 2000 Mercury Villager and now it has bite me in the donkey. I thought "who needs A/C? I only go out in the morning" wrong!

With all my internal problems I don't handle the heat well. Waiting to pickup my boys from school and then coming home to make dinner and play these 3 days has been brutal. It has taken it's toll. My daughter is off from work on Thursdays and Fridays so I am free to do as I please.

I did fine once a week in the mornings on the baseball field, but sitting in 90+ heat and humidity for 1 1/2 hours each day waiting for my boys 3 days straight kicked my donkey!

I was nearly useless this morning, I could hardly move. Fortunately it rained and that spoiled my plans for yard work. Instead I took my Mom shopping as I had planned to do on Friday, now Friday will be yard work.

I am once again hydrated and feeling much better, now to catch up on all the posts I missed.

No I don't mind you asking the dimensions. A bit of history first...We don't have basements here in Texas, so I have had to make-do. My first train room was a makeshift lean-to attached to the back of my barn. It was not climate-controlled or varmint-proof but it served me for almost 20 years before I saved up enough money to build my current train shed. It is a building that two out-of-work contractor friends and me built in 2010 and it is 20' x 40' with a 5' front porch. At one end I partitioned off a 7.5' x 20' workshop/storage room. The train portion is 32' x 20'. I have a point-to-point mostly around the walls set-up on two levels. Here is a very rough drawing of the benchwork.
View attachment 58445
Dashed line is backdrop between separate sides of the peninsulas. Right now there is no connection between levels. If and when I get the urge, I will build a helix in the box on the lower left, commandeering a portion of the porch (as yet unbuilt). Right now I just operate two separate layouts. The bulb on the left-center is the area that I just completed. All other benchwork except the south wall is already complete.
Hope I didn't bore you or any one else.

Willie

Not at all boring Willie, very educational and entertaining. Thanks again, I will defiantly explore the option of a separate building for my trains.

...Louis- Nice photo.

I'm glad you liked it.

Louis - A piece of history I did not know along with a nice photo. Thanks for the post.
Here's my photo for the day. A Milwaukee Road switcher is waiting for another Milwaukee Road to clear the main like so it can pull a box car to the yard.

View attachment 58446
Catch you later.
I did not know either Chet, I go the photo and information from the B&O Museum's Facebook page.

I picked up a car, a 2014 Corvette Stingray from Dollar General it's a 1/43 scale Bburago it cost less then $3, $2 something.

Another great photo!

I've decided to not comment any further on my health insurance debacle. I guess I'll find out how much it is when the first bill rolls in.

In the meantime, a member of my fleet is having a little trouble getting started first thing in the morning...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZQVHlhxJWI
I gave up on health care too Terry, I will just hire contractors. Too much uncertainty about the future for me. I hope for the best for you.

I love the unstartup sounds! :) and the B&O car in the background! Is that a 55 ton Hopper?

And here it is after finally getting started, rolling its short train past the camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usVSQEyt1wI
That's the money sound!

The Florida trip, and all the hoops we had to jump thru to get my daughter [Stephanie] situated at ERAU, left me totally drained. Furthermore, our last breakfast with Stephanie before our departure was somber and awkward; she was overwhelmed and scared to death. And when we dropped her off at her dorm to say goodbye, she burst into tears and said she felt like she'd "never see us again!" The mood was as if we were leaving her in the Cancer Ward at Childrens Hospital, not to start an exciting new life on her own.

Because of that, I got hit with a crippling case of the Empty Nest Blues when we returned to Maryland. I felt the same as if Stephanie had died - every time I was at the house during a time she'd normally be there, the memories came flooding in! I was so devoid of energy that I mostly took naps when I wasn't at the office or doing yard work. But a Skype conference with her on Sunday evening reassured me that she was finally making friends and adjusting to the new environment, so then I resumed work on the layout that had been hanging in limbo for the past week.

I know this stuff pales in comparison to what a lot of others here at Running Bear's are going thru, another reason I was hesitant to post.

Ken I feel for you, I felt very similar when I dropped my oldest daughter at the University of Maryland, sad in deed. I can tell you it will get better for both of you.

Louis, that's a great photo of the B&O E unit 1449, thanks for sharing it - any idea where that was shot?
I have no idea Ken. I was hoping you might know.

Louis: Not looking good, the Yankees are next...and... It's payback time for last weekend. Go O's.
View attachment 58454
My old job, WPSA31, passing through Shrewsbury, NJ, on the former CRRNJ Southern Division

Yeah I was disappointed, but that's baseball. A 10 game run will solve everything. In today's game as it has always been; getting hot at the end of the season is critical to post season success.

Great photo!

Hello everybody ..

I'm now living for the 5 hour drive to Cincinnati. Tomorrow, I'll go from there to Michigan.

Have a nice Labor Day weekend, everybody. I won't be on the computer very much if at all for several days.

Louis, glad to see you're back. I thought that you started the coffee each morning in the coffee shop.

I think my wife can relate to your A/C problems. The A/C crapped out in the building she works in yesterday. She said that it was over 90 in the building with no air moving. She was a bit grumpy when she got home last night.

These photos are an example of the 1/24 scale die casts that I collect. The may have a bit more detail, but they do cost a bit more.

headers 182.jpg headers 184.jpg

headers 175.jpg headers 174.jpg

Yes, I am a car nut, besides being a train nut. I consider myself rather lucky. I have three man caves. The little one we just completed where I have my model railroad work bench, the middle size one in the basement with my train layout and the big one outside where I work on restore my classic cars.

Afternoon All,

MOH dragged me to 3 different grocery stores today...good times. We may be going out to dinner with daughter's family tonight, but not sure yet.

Willie- Nice layout plan.

Terry- Great startup and passing video. Love the startup sounds. I may have to invest in that soundboard for my H10-44. Do you happen to know the Loksound item number?

Chet- Nice car models.

Ken- I know exactly what you mean. My daughter only lives about 10 miles away and I still miss not seeing her everyday and it has been many years since she has been on her own.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back