Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

A HACKSAW??? (eeek! never) I used ordinary big toe clippers and it looks 'factory'! LOL!

In the picture, it is traversing three pieces of 18" E-Z track from my Bachman starter set, I HAD to use em cause it's all I've got left, I would not try to 'pull a fast one' on ya's! We laid out a 'three mile loop' in one lone line that goes back and forth, fun but no real yard action so, it will be changed.

With a bit more trimming it might make a 15"! We'll see.

Say NG/P: In referring to clipping rail, if I understand you correctly, be sure to check the inside of the rail head especially to ensure no burrs are left from clipping or cutting which can cause running problems as the wheels of the loco's pass by.
I'm also thinking of spots on my layout that are a bit of a problem with my loco's stalling at very slow speeds like I like to run them at on my class '1' railroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I have EENUFFF. Garry dangled the 2 atlas FP7's under my nose and I bit. I model 1957 and this paint scheme was gone by then for the most part but I couldn't pass them up. Atlas locomotives are known for being excellent running locomotives and these live up to their reputation. Extremely smooth. Don't know what I'll do with them, but I'll come up with something. It was nice to take a few minutes to run trains for a change.

IMAG0499.jpg

Got all of the hoses put up for the winter and all of the outside hydrants turned off for the winter.

Going to take the next week off and bring all of my renovation projects to a close. Really getting tired of it. Maybe I'll have some time to get some model railroads projects put on the drawing board. Still have the salvage yard fence to complete as well as the yard itself. A couple of smll structures are needed also.

Mel - I can remember when Montana Rail Link first started up. Their main facility is just over the pass from me in Livingston, MT. I think they had locomotives and other equipment from just about any railroad you could think of sitting outside of their shops. At first just about everything they ran was rebuilds until recent years when they started buying new equipment to keep up with traffic. It was quite an interesting sight.

Evening All,

Really nice weather here again today. I talked to Phil for a couple of minutes today and we are going to meet on Friday at Jon's our mutual friend. It also looks like Phil and I will be taking a road trip to Daytona to meet someone we both know from across the internet street in early November.

Tomorrow night MOH and I are going to the grand kids school for spirit night, which is basically a fund raiser for the teachers. They are providing McDonalds hamburgers for supper. That part I will skip.

Montanan- Nice looking FP7's. I really like mine.

IMG_1460_zps1194c0bd.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Mel - I can remember when Montana Rail Link first started up. Their main facility is just over the pass from me in Livingston, MT. I think they had locomotives and other equipment from just about any railroad you could think of sitting outside of their shops. At first just about everything they ran was rebuilds until recent years when they started buying new equipment to keep up with traffic. It was quite an interesting sight.

I remember start-up day for MRL. "Somebody" knocked the brakes off an engine set, and it ran away down the hill, derailing and totaling the engines. It also injured an unauthorized passenger that was sleeping in the toilet area of one of the engines.

Good afternoon rail workers

Say Joe: Your statement about being away from the industry for seven years throws me, I thought you were still an Engineer driving loco's to move cars/trains around? No offense if your not, I just thought I understood you still were working as an Engineer?

The MW4 manual sounds like it must contain a lot of information but I'm sure there are times when things don't always match what is stated for one reason or another such as the in the photo Garry posted that I questioned. I'm sure there are always variations of things. I do remember my Engineer friend I knew as Mark telling me if you can dream it up, you'll find it on the Railroad somewhere!

David: Retired from Amtrak on 12/17/2008, ending a 42 year career that began on the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Concerning the MW Standards, There is no deviation from standard when it comes to track standards, only differences in how they should be implemented. They are governed by CFR Title 49, Part 213, and the cost of a willful violation is quite expensive.

Believe it or not, there are prototype modelers in our hobby, that attempt to implement CFR Title 49/P213 in the construction of their layouts. Check out some of the NMRA SIG groups, The NMRA gauge for instance closely parallels actual gauges used by Mechanical and Engineering employees on the railroad.

Ok guys, for all who have been pestering me for a centralized place for all my pics and videos and stuff, I started building one today - and thus you all haven't heard from me all day.
It's a work in progress and I just started today.
But hey, it's a start.
http://ericewhite.wix.com/trains
E.

Good evening everybody.

Curt .... I certainly like the depot and also the steam switcher and box car. It's good you can meet with forum members. I'm very glad I met you when we were in Orlando.

Chet .... The FP7's look like they found their way home. Nice photo. I still have an NP post card with a picture of F-units in that paint scheme.

Here's an email I just received about a Hotel scam that's going on so be cautious when traveling even to Motels and never give out your 3 digit access code on the back to anyone over the phone unless you called them.

From an older Marine friend:

Hotel Scam (This is one I probably would have fallen for!)...
Creativity wow.!! This is one of the smartest scams I have heard about. You
arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. Typically when
checking in, you give the front desk your credit card (for any charges
to your room) they imprint it and then they return the card.
You go to your room and settle in. All is good.
The hotel receives a call and the caller asks for (as an example) room
620 - which happens to be your room.
The phone rings in your room. You answer and the person on the other end says the following: 'This is the front desk. When checking in, we came across a problem with your charge card information. Please re-read me your credit card numbers and verify the last 3 digits numbers on the reverse side of your charge card.'
Not thinking anything wrong, since the call seems to come from the front desk you oblige. But actually, it is a scam by someone calling from
outside the hotel. They have asked for a random room number, then ask
you for your credit card and address information. They sound so
professional, that you think you are talking to the front desk.
If you ever encounter this scenario on your travels, tell the caller
that you will be down to the front desk to clear up any problems. Then,
go to the front desk or call directly and ask if there was a problem. If
there was none, inform the manager of the hotel that someone tried to
scam you of your credit card information, acting like a front desk
employee.
This was sent to me by someone who has been duped........and is still cleaning up the mess.
P.S. Please, consider spreading the word by forwarding this e-mail (as a
"bcc"!). Who knows, you might just help someone avoid a nasty
experience.
ANYONE travelling should be aware of this one!

Probably have an accomplice with a view of the desk and able to identify the room number of new arrivals. That would be targeted, random room numbers would be too hit and miss to make it effective.

Say NG/P: In referring to clipping rail, if I understand you correctly, be sure to check the inside of the rail head especially to ensure no burrs are left from clipping or cutting which can cause running problems as the wheels of the loco's pass by.
I'm also thinking of spots on my layout that are a bit of a problem with my loco's stalling at very slow speeds like I like to run them at on my class '1' railroad.

I am all about the low speed operation, it looks cool! Actually going to try cutting some flex today for straight pieces to make my layout 'pretty' for my projected 'ops' session at Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to be able to 'show it off' to the family and get 4-5 people on throttles and 'have us a time'!

Good Morning, 46 and partly sunny!! Windy, though. Supposed to have a real cool down coming.

Ok guys, for all who have been pestering me for a centralized place for all my pics and videos and stuff, I started building one today - and thus you all haven't heard from me all day.
It's a work in progress and I just started today.
But hey, it's a start.
http://ericewhite.wix.com/trains
E.

Hi Eric--I clicked your link for the website and our outdated computer will not connect. I will have to keep tabs on the forum!

THAT was exciting! A house about 100 yards away caught on fire! I'm sitting here and I hear sirens all the time, this one stopped nearby, so I had to wander out and see what was up. Small basement fire and they had 3 BIG trucks 3 ambulances and the Chief of the FD was there, heck of a nice guy, I thanked then for the quick response and told them 'Good Job' like I always do! Never seen a lil kitty get oxygen before! LOL! He seemed to like it!

I ALWAYS thank ALL F.D., P.D., and Ambulance drivers whenever I see one close enough to talk to, I might NEED em one day!

Good morning y'all. 48°, and sunny this morning, going to the upper 60s today.

Chet: That's a fine pair of FP7s. Good acquisition.

Curt: Nice scene with your shifter.

David: Interesting story, However creative the criminal mind may be, there is no excuse for falling for that kind of scam. Most major hotel motel chains allow you to use your smartphone to register, so when you arrive at the front desk and identify yourself, they merely hand you your room access cards. You no longer need to present a credit card at registration. Since your card is already "on file", there is no need to verify anything with the front desk.

Eric: Cool web site. I like it. FWIW: The PRR loco you have designated as unknown, represents an ALCO C-425. I'm guessing from the photo it was an early Atlas product or possibly a upgraded AHM/IHC product.

Good morning everybody.

David ... It is hard for me to believe people can fall for scams like that. I am very skeptical, and I don't believe anything anybody tells me until I can verify.

Regarding Atlas FP7's, I still have a pair lettered for Union Pacific. The train includes some Con Cor passenger cars. The locos and cars were a gift from a family member, and I will there fore keep it. It is my only UP passenger train.

UnionStationLineUp12-20_zps66010cd6.jpg

Eric: Cool web site. I like it. FWIW: The PRR loco you have designated as unknown, represents an ALCO C-425. I'm guessing from the photo it was an early Atlas product or possibly a upgraded AHM/IHC product.

Thanks. One of you fellers told me what it was once but I forgot where I wrote that down. I did remember it was one of the Century series but nothing more.
On the bottom is says only "Made in Austria". That one actually is DCC onboard now. Carey put a decoder in it when he was here last time.

Same goes for the ICG orange and white. C-630 maybe?
I'm pretty sure that one is a Tyco. Perhaps an older Bachman.

Chime on in with any more corrections or necessary edits!
E.

Good morning everyone. 46 degrees with rain earlier. Supposed to only get up into the mid 50's. The clouds lifted a bit and I see a dusting of snow on the mountains.

Eric - nice web site.

Garry - another great picture. You keep coming up with winners.

Curt - Nice close up shot. Reminds me that I should get at least one box car for the Pennsy. Going through all of my freight equipment, the only thing I have for the Pennsy is a gon.

Guess I should get to work and get on the trim work. Quite time consuming to get everything just right.

Guess I'll post a picture and get to work.

Logan 001 (5).jpg

A MOST excellent picture, E! Looks like the cover of a magazine! WELL DONE!

ERIC Really nice work. You have come a long
way in a short while.

NG gave me an idea .. Why not see if the Fire Dept will rescue your chopper? Tell them its a cat!

GARRY, CHET, CURT You guys just keep coming up with great modeling talent. Sooo realistic looking!

Garry ... One UP locomotive is enough on any layout ..lol.

Back