Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Good morning. It's clear and 33.

coffee_pot.jpgcoffee_pot_steaming_hg_wht.gifcoffee iv.jpeg17314_1022333747790412_2795878639629966544_n.jpg

Good morning. The coffee smells good. Starting off at 41 degrees this morning with some showers expected and a high in the mid 60's.

Curt - Nice looking depot.

Got a lot of trim work done over th weekend. The light is at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully by the end of next weekend, my remodeling work will be done for the year and I can have the last dumpster hauled off.

Hey Chet, its colder in Baltimore then in Montana! I would bet that does not happen too often.

Glad to hear you made it to the home stretch.

Just spreading the wealth Louis. It is overcast so the temps didn't drop too much over night but by the end of the week we are expecting highs as low as the mid 40's with overnight lows into the 20's.

As things are going it looks like I might be routing for the Mets, just don't call them amazing, that wound from 1969 might never close!

Louis: What's Amazin about the Mets, is that the are either very very bad, or very very good; No in-between. Back in June, for instance, they were unable to buy a win, and the Mets were unable to beat the Cubs at all during the regular season. 1969, was the year the O's failed to take the Mets seriously, and they paid for it. Same as 1960, when the Yankees failed to take the Pirates seriously either.

I can remember that last '69 game very well. During the last game we were at sea (I was in the Navy at the time) about 100 miles off the coast of Jacksonville, FL. No radio reception. I worked as a fire controlman and I was able to use the radar receiver as an antenna. It was a bit of a pain having to turn the radar every time the ship changed course. The weapons officer happened to stop by the control; room and hear the game and was wondering how we were getting it. I told him and he got a hold of the old man and had them steer a straight course and we put the game on over the ships loudspeaker system.

I also ended up winning about $800 because I took the Mets. One heck of a game.

Good morning guys, we have 46 and cloudy. Looks like it is going to rain.

Worked in the yard some over the weekend and took the train a couple loops around the tracks. Time to mix up the freight on there, I will have to put some of the box cars back in boxes and bring some others out of "hibernation".

Good late evening,

Say Joe: If I somehow asked a rather pertinent question it was by total luck/mistake as I certainly had no intention of causing you a bunch of additional research and time expenditure. Your explanation is more than sufficient as I think I understand the need for sequential movements to either route and allow movement or halt through traffic. Again I may be off but I think I understand.

It sounds like you used Epoxy Paint on the floor due to the long drying time.
Your windows also sound like a problem too. While the weather where I at does get quite cold it's not as bad as the East Coast. My Aluminum framed windows are single pane which doesn't give much protection from the cold but what I do is take out the screen on the movable window side and and replace them with another frame with plastic in it to form a dead air space and also do the same for the stationary side which seems to help a lot. I have a 5'x5' lining room window I need to do something similar with as well as an 8 ft sliding glass door that causes a lot of heat loss.

David: There are times when I try to answer a question off the top of my head, but after being away from the industry for seven years now, memory isn't always accurate. The MW4 is a tool I used numerous times to challenge the statements of engineering types during accident investigations. It has everything you need to know about track construction. It's the only Railroad issued publication that actually refers to a switch as a turnout :rolleyes:.

The floor paint is not epoxy based, I'm using a HD branded floor and porch paint that cleans up with soap and water it dries to a tackiness after four hours, but takes a while to cure. I did the other side of the basement with it last summer, and now that the heat's on, it may cure more quickly. I'm going to call a different window repair guy today. Too many vendors want to sell a new replacement window, rather than repairing an older one.

Brought the 'movie screen' 65" back from 'exile' in the other part of the basement. bringing the 'mancave' back online!
WIN_20151019_094934.JPGThe Disco Ball is going up next!

Louis: What's Amazin about the Mets, is that the are either very very bad, or very very good; No in-between. Back in June, for instance, they were unable to buy a win, and the Mets were unable to beat the Cubs at all during the regular season. 1969, was the year the O's failed to take the Mets seriously, and they paid for it. Same as 1960, when the Yankees failed to take the Pirates seriously either.

I don't think the Orioles saw 10 pitches over the heart of the plate in all 5 games combined. I doubt the Mets defense made that many great plays all season as they did in those 5 games.

The birds did not underestimate the Mets, the Mets out pitched the best pitching staff in baseball and the defense managed to catch almost any ball that got hit hard. The birds did nearly the same thing to the Dodgers in 66 so I guess what goes around comes around.

How many times has the "best" team in baseball either lost the World Series or watched it from home? The Cardinals will be watching from home this year.

Baseball is a marathon that ends with a sprint. The grand old game is still my favorite!

Good morning guys, we have 46 and cloudy. Looks like it is going to rain.

Worked in the yard some over the weekend and took the train a couple loops around the tracks. Time to mix up the freight on there, I will have to put some of the box cars back in boxes and bring some others out of "hibernation".

Hey LASM, that is one of my favorite things to do! It is fun to pull things out that I have not seen for months. Its almost like having soothing new.

I'll suggest you replace the boxcars with gondolas, they are always good. Or you could go with mixed freight. No matter what you choose you will be happy with it.

Another of my favorites is TOFCs, I love all intermodals. I found a Lionel Christmas TOFC this year I can't wait to set up my pike sized Christmas pig train.

Did I use that phrase correctly Boris?

Disco ball and model railroad in a man cave, I think you may have achieved another first!

When I go, I GO!
WIN_20151019_142153.JPGThat's why I put one outlet above the layout, Disco Power and an RC helicopter re-charging station. (I got 5 that need a 'heliport'!)

Good evening everyone. Welcome back Karl. I have a different problem with windows, an 1987 version Anderson that developed cracks on the inner pane. Can't seem to find anyone interested in replacing the glass. Not lucrative enough for them. I guess. Maybe in February, when things are slow, eh? I suppose that means the local economy is better, I can probably fix it myself, although I'd rather not. BTW, how is the new truck running?

Speaking of basements, I finally started painting the train room. Finished 2½ walls, before I ran out of paint. 1 more gallon should be enough to finish the walls. I also started to repaint the floor, starting in the area where the modules will go. needs to dry at least 72 hours before I can place stuff on it, and a full four weeks to cure. Should have started sooner :rolleyes:.

Curt: That's a great looking station. Nicely weathered too.

Hirailer: That's an interesting Cabin Car there - RailLink? The BC version by chance?

Tony: The TV weather guy claims we actually had some snow falling here in Jersey too. Can't prove it by me, then again I spent most of the day in the basement. Going to be cold again tonight.

Louis: The "Deadskins" stunk it up at the Meadowlands this afternoon, and the Ravens didn't do much better in SF. At least, the Devils finally one this afternoon, 2-1 in OT, and so far the Mets are cruising.

David: A brief definition of an interlocking is an "arrangement of signals and signal appliances so interconnected that their movements must succeed each other in proper sequence. This arrangement also includes connected switches, crossovers and derails located within the limits of the Interlocking". Referring to our previous discussion, concerning the split rail derail, the track centers are closer due to the location being a terminal area. Speed restrictions other than those imposed by signal indication, may or may not be slow speed, depending on the location. I really need to dig out my MW4 (Conrail Track Engineering Standards Manual), to answer some of your questions. :).

Regarding the rail link caboose. Although I see this caboose quite often, I don't know much about it. I always assumed that it came up from the States as nothing like this was used in Canada that I know of. Might be interesting to find out it's heritage.

Your definition of an interlocking is correct. I have "hands on" experience with these in my past life..

Cheers
Mel

Oh no!

I have 2 grandsons and they can generate some work for me, I know how you feel, but thank God for grandkids.
Great looking model Curt!

We missed you Karl! I thought you might be doing something fun, how wrong I was! Good move on the windows and door. At least you can say you did your due diligence and they will pay for themselves in the loooooong run. If nothing else you get a green star!

When it comes to betting you should always bet with your head not your heart. One of the reasons I don't gamble is my heart is convinces my head every time!

I live in a thirty year old two story frame house that had double pane aluminum windows that some of them had lost their seal and got a bit cloudy. Two years ago we went ahead and took the plunge and replaced them all with vinyl, argon low e windows plus one 6 foot patio door. The first thing we noticed was the "silence", no noise from outside. Last year our heating bill dropped 20%, the house stayed a lot cooler last summer. We live next to a CN mainline and the noise from the trains is cut in half. They cost an arm and a leg but they do add value to the house, no doubt I'll get my money back on resale.

Cheers
Mel

Regarding the rail link caboose. Although I see this caboose quite often, I don't know much about it. I always assumed that it came up from the States as nothing like this was used in Canada that I know of. Might be interesting to find out it's heritage.

Your definition of an interlocking is correct. I have "hands on" experience with these in my past life..

Cheers
Mel
Those cabooses were built for BC Hydro in the late 1960s.

Good afternoon rail workers
Hi Flo & Francine things seem to be getting busy down here at Jeffreys' Diner, glad to see you ladies are keeping the place alive along with the customers! Jeffrey was a colorful guy alright.

Lets see WW Wunderground Weather says:
Clear, well there are a considerable number of the large Cumulus Clouds in the sky so I'd say it partly Cloudy as later on it could well become all cloudy. It's 67.5 °F - Feels Like 77 °F;
Winds are from West at 6.3 mph; [I might get blown off the ladder while sanding the fascia? LoL I'm not sure any of you will hear the train whistle? LoL]

Thar Barometer is at 29.89 in Hg;
Hum-i-dity is 52%.

David: There are times when I try to answer a question off the top of my head, but after being away from the industry for seven years now, memory isn't always accurate. The MW4 is a tool I used numerous times to challenge the statements of engineering types during accident investigations. It has everything you need to know about track construction. It's the only Railroad issued publication that actually refers to a switch as a turnout :rolleyes:.

The floor paint is not epoxy based, I'm using a HD branded floor and porch paint that cleans up with soap and water it dries to a tackiness after four hours, but takes a while to cure. I did the other side of the basement with it last summer, and now that the heat's on, it may cure more quickly. I'm going to call a different window repair guy today. Too many vendors want to sell a new replacement window, rather than repairing an older one.

Say Joe: Your statement about being away from the industry for seven years throws me, I thought you were still an Engineer driving loco's to move cars/trains around? No offense if your not, I just thought I understood you still were working as an Engineer?

The MW4 manual sounds like it must contain a lot of information but I'm sure there are times when things don't always match what is stated for one reason or another such as the in the photo Garry posted that I questioned. I'm sure there are always variations of things. I do remember my Engineer friend I knew as Mark telling me if you can dream it up, you'll find it on the Railroad somewhere!

Glad your making progress on getting your layout room going. I still have a fair ways to go with mine and part of my problem
is that I've been building my table work over all the existing junk in one half of my garage. The other half is divided into a work are for the trains and a reloading room which was my old dark room. I'm also nearing the the garage doors and guess it would be best to mount some metal plate on the side frames of the doors as well as too the doors and remove the bulky hinges that protrude into the garage so I have them out of the way? I releived tension on the springs many years back when the two doors were closed.

Back