Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

So you can get to the 4' width from either side. Good planning. I run 22" radii on my 4' tables.

So you can get to the 4' width from either side. Good planning. I run 22" radii on my 4' tables.

Yup, with JUST enough to squeeze a 24" turn in there at each 'end' is what I ended up with. ALMOST left it three feet but thanks to the FORUM I saw that I was going to need a bit more turning room than 3' for some of these larger locos and rollers.

I dedicate my LARGE radius turns to TONY aka 'Wombat' THANK YOU SIR! By sharing your difficulties, you SAVED me from SERIOUS frustration!

Good morning. Clear and on the way to 80f today. Supposedly.

BigE: I use toule for fencing. You can get it in the ribbon sections of wallyworld or craft stores.I use the 3/4 width. I use florist wire and glue it all together with CA gel.
First I made a jig because I needed alot of fencing:

IMG_0448.jpg

You can see the spool of toule to the upper right.

Thanks Terry. That sure sounds mighty affordable!
What is the framing made from in the first pic?
Did you do any gates?

CA gel glue..... sigh.... I can't find that stuff anywhere around here. Every time I find some online, they want to eat me up on shipping. I'm sick of that!
I think CA anything has a special something against me. I got a brand new bottle of it several months ago. It won't stick ANYTHING together - except my fingers.

What would be a good height for fencing around the yard lines and flood loader? 10'? 12'?
Thanks for the tips!
Might make for a good article for newbs in one of the mags.

Thank you Terry!!!! Wish I would have had that link 6 months ago! Soon as I can get some money on my card again I'll order some.
E

MAJOR props, E! You are my 'scenery hero' and that ain't no 'shine' neither, you inspire me to al least TRY to do some of that 'cool' stuff as reluctant as I am, and I AM very reluctant. That mountain went up QUICK and it looks GOOD!

You take a chainsaw to that Oak yet? It OWES you a drone! Cut it into a stack and sell it for another one!

Thank you Terry!!!! Wish I would have had that link 6 months ago! Soon as I can get some money on my card again I'll order some.
E
I've bought from those people before. Shipping is reasonable, though they are a tad slow, prices are good.

Terry ... Your fences look terrific ....

My chain link fence is more simple. The vertical fence posts are just wire brads driven into the wood base. Then I cut common fiberglass window screen diagonally, I spray painted the screen silver and then weathered it. I glued it to the fence posts. I added enough scenery to make it look like the fence was deep in the weeds. ..... Being in the background, the fence did not need to be too detailed.

scrapyardD.jpg

Flip .... I'll send an email. Today will be a full day again here.

David ... WHat you called the B&O car was a 1930's boxcab diesel locomotive.

Louis ... Glad you like the photos.

Yesterday we spent afternoon and part of the evening with the Ham Festival .... Lots of fund stuff, lots of good food, lots of bad food too (carnival stuff), and plenty of activity. ... Weather was ideal. Sunny and mid 70's. .... They begin early Friday baking "The World's Largest Biscuit" in a giant oven mounted on a special "Wide Load" trailer. A fork lift is required to remove the biscuit from the oven. THen they sell country ham sandwiches using slices of the biscuit. In previous years their biscuit has been listed in the Guinness Book of Records. .... Car fans are always interested in the car collection which is on display in a parking lot. ..... Live Country and Western music attracts large audiences. ..... Lots of activities for children. Carnival rides. Our little town is packed with people who come hundreds of miles.

http://festivalnet.com/13047/Cadiz-Kentucky/Festivals/Trigg-County-Country-Ham-Festival

It is in Face Book under Trigg County Ham Festival.

We have a full day ahead starting with church very soon. .... Have a great Sunday!

Last edited by a moderator:
By golly I'm going to do something productive on the trains today.
I've got a small Details West trackside instrument shed to build.
I've got 6 small rock molds I made to try out and see how they cast.
It's my first time messing with liquid latex rubber so I don't have a clue what to expect.
The instructions say to wait 20-30 minutes between latex coats but I found that time needed to be more like several hours.
Maybe I was going too heavy on the coatings.

I do need to make a minor grocery run but will wait until after 12:30 when the beer section opens. Might as well make it worth my while since I'm "on the hoof".
E.

Big E by all means wait until after 12:30pm:p.
Big E any chance you can do a topic on your experience with the liquid latex rubber?

...Louis- Wish I was one of the fantastic modelers here that share their expertise . All I can offer is my admiration and thanks for sharing...

Phil you are talented and modest a great combination.

Garry the Ham festival sounded great, then I hear about country biscuits! I would do my best to eat 2 of those sandwiches and surely take a few with me! I would not eat any of the carnival food, not that I don't like the other foods. I would save room for ham and biscuits!

If I traveled better I would make that a top priority of places to visit.

Terry in Wisconsin they are some great photos, thank you for sharing.

New guy your layout is looking great!

Terry how does krazy glue/super glue gels compare to that Zap adhesive gel?

I have really come to like Krazy glue's liquid with an applicator brush. If you keep it free from contaminants it should last a very long time. I say should because my son can't keep contaminants out of it so I don't know for sure!

How are you feeling Big?

Phil you are talented and modest a great combination.

Garry the Ham festival sounded great, then I hear about country biscuits! I would do my best to eat 2 of those sandwiches and surely take a few with me! I would not eat any of the carnival food, not that I don't like the other foods. I would save room for ham and biscuits!

If I traveled better I would make that a top priority of places to visit.

Terry in Wisconsin they are some great photos, thank you for sharing.

New guy your layout is looking great!

Terry how does krazy glue/super glue gels compare to that Zap adhesive gel?

I have really come to like Krazy glue's liquid with an applicator brush. If you keep it free from contaminants it should last a very long time. I say should because my son can't keep contaminants out of it so I don't know for sure!

How are you feeling Big?
Louis, all I use is Zap A Gap CA+. I got a small bottle from my LHS before they went out of business--5 years ago. I keep the bottle in the fridge when not in use, and keep the top/tip clean, so it doesn't clog.

MAJOR props, E! You are my 'scenery hero' and that ain't no 'shine' neither, you inspire me to al least TRY to do some of that 'cool' stuff as reluctant as I am, and I AM very reluctant. That mountain went up QUICK and it looks GOOD!

You take a chainsaw to that Oak yet? It OWES you a drone! Cut it into a stack and sell it for another one!

Aw shucks. I'm flattered Sir. Keep in mind when you say that mountain went up quick how much time and planning in my head went on before I did anything - including ordering the tunnel portals and placing them on the table. One could arguable say I've been 'working' on it off and on for the better part of 10 months. Physical work only took a fat week if you ran it all together.
But now that the "super structure" is in place, I'm back to regular ground cover work, tree planting and detail work, etc.
I think I'll try the technique of shredding one of those green scouring pads from the grocery store for some hanging foliage instead of the clump foliage/lichen stuff. Given the price differential, it's certainly worth having a look at.

As for that copter-eating big red oak, I would never take a saw to that monster. 3 reasons: 1) it ain't my tree; 2) it's about 6' across meaning #3) it's got be nearly 2-300, or better, years old. It was probably just an acorn when my 7th or 8th (I'm not sure) great-grandpa was fighting "for the cause" against the red-coats as a Colonel in the American Revolution of the 1700s.
I'll buy another copter before I'd lay a finger with ill intent on that tree.
E.

By golly I'm going to do something productive on the trains today.
I've got a small Details West trackside instrument shed to build.
I've got 6 small rock molds I made to try out and see how they cast.
It's my first time messing with liquid latex rubber so I don't have a clue what to expect.
The instructions say to wait 20-30 minutes between latex coats but I found that time needed to be more like several hours.
Maybe I was going too heavy on the coatings.

I do need to make a minor grocery run but will wait until after 12:30 when the beer section opens. Might as well make it worth my while since I'm "on the hoof".
E.

LOL! You might motivate me to start drinkin TOO, just for the exercise! I yousta be a 'walker' all over town but I ain't hardly left the house since May when I started this project!

Big E by all means wait until after 12:30pm:p.
Big E any chance you can do a topic on your experience with the liquid latex rubber?

Well.... yeah I suppose so. What sort of "topic" and content are you looking for?
I've only peeled one mold off and noticed your post/request. I suppose some pics would be in order before I proceed?
E.

Well.... yeah I suppose so. What sort of "topic" and content are you looking for?
I've only peeled one mold off and noticed your post/request. I suppose some pics would be in order before I proceed?
E.
Yes even pics would be great and your experience of what way worked and which worked even better, as you go of course. I had bought some this summer to try but stuff is so darn expensive was hoping to research first but your experience would be a good research.:eek:

Yes even pics would be great and your experience of what way worked and which worked even better, as you go of course. I had bought some this summer to try but stuff is so darn expensive was hoping to research first but your experience would be a good research.:eek:
"darn expensive" ?? really? You think so? My 16oz bottle of WS #C1204 was 13.49 from MB Klein. Seemed plenty cheap enough to experiment with if nothing else.

Well.... here's my 1st installment. That's a 4" architect's scale for reference. The brush is just some old 1/2" thing I had laying around.
That's a sheet of waxed paper it's all laying on. I figured it would make it easier to peel off of. A big glass baking dish would probably be better now that I think about it.
The one mold (left of the brush) I peeled off yesterday was only 3 (maybe 4) coats but I wanted to see how thin that would be. The directions say 3 coats is fine if you aren't going to re-use the mold for lots of casting. The other 5 rocks have 5 (maybe 6) coats. Granted these are small rocks but I needed some variety.
The 2 on each side of the brush feral are somewhat flat and I plan on trying to make use of those for overhangs and ledges - somehow, somewhere. The bigger one by the bottle's corner is a little smaller than a racquetball ball. It and the other 3 I'll use for random outcroppings - pro re nata.

This would be great stuff if you find something in the field you want casted.

This is mostly just an experiment to see how well it works - or not. The true test will come later this afternoon/evening when I actually do some castings with them.

Don't worry about the price of this stuff. It seems to not take much. These 6 rocks with 5 or so coats only brought the bottle level down to about the top of the black on the label which is barely a dent.

The directions say it's water cleanup. Nary a truer word was spoken! The stuff washes right out of the brush in mere seconds.
That's about all I can say about it for now.
Whether it's worth the time and hassle compared to buying molds, I suppose that's up to you. In my case I needed variety.
E.
PA110029.jpg~

Attachments

• PA110028_1.jpg
    PA110028_1.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 165

Back