Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

Eric - Looking real nice. A big improvement to the layout.

By the way, have you heard anything at all about Carey ?? I am getting worried about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric - Looking real nice. A big improvement to the layout.

By the way, have you heard anything at all about Carey ?? I am getting worried about him.

No I haven't heard back. I've sent several emails and left a voice mail. It's probably been week since I've done that.

No I haven't heard back. I've sent several emails and left a voice mail. It's probably been week since I've done that.

Well I just tried to call him again. No answer - voice mail again. I didn't leave a message. He's on CDT so might be having supper anyway. Wish I had something to pass along - but nay.
E

Eric ... your efforts to contact Carey are appreciated .... I, too, am concerned

Chet .... Good to talk with you by phone.

That is the only worry I would have with the MDF 'sag factor', I could shore it up with more 'cross ties' under the table but I'd rather not have to. 3/4 would probably not be a problem if I did not need 16 sheets to cover this monster! $$$$$$ That's LOCO and roller money I'm cutting into now! Can't have THAT! LOL!

Say Paratrooper: Your getting things mixed up, I'm well aware of how limber, 'Aactual PARTICAL BOARD' is. But OSB is much more rigid and water proof to my knowledge.

What I'm referring to is made up from chips the size of the palm of your hand or finger or larger all glued together with a water proof glue! That's the reason I mentioned about my table top getting wet which it did and all I did, some time after it occurred was to soak up the water on top of the board. No damage of any kind occurred and no sagging like Partical board would have done!

Here's the Comparson link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=MDF+board&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=osb+vs+particle+board

The OSB 'Oriented Strand Board' is the second image from the Left, and what you want, as it's very much like Plywood and probably just about as strong. I use it for my sub-road bed to often span about two feet with no sag at all!

I've taken some pictures to show what I've done with the 7/16" OSB, but the images haven't yet been sent to my computer so I can up load them to PB so I can post them.

As soon as I can I will, it took most of the day. LoL

er%20section%20behind%20Five%20Oaksjpg_zpsg4vrtdfy.jpg

-upper%20Right%20Amalgamate%20curvejpg_zps3daaplt1.jpg

Good morning everybody!

62 with 89% humidity under partly clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

Terry I am sorry to hear about your bad luck with eBay. I have bought hundreds of things and I have only opened 2 cases against the sellers. I am very happy with eBay.

I have never bought anything other than train things so maybe that is part of the reason for my good luck.

My Son has bought several PCs and laptops on eBay and he has had good luck as well.

The best part about eBay is the buyer protection. Its one of the safest ways to buy online. The worst that can happen is your money is held up until the case is resolved.

That said I still don't like to buy used locomotives on eBay or anywhere else for that matter. Unless of course it is from "Terry's Train Emporium" There I can buy with confidence knowing the locomotive will be even better then new.

Speaking of eBay I have a Lionel bicentennial boxcar to pack and ship this morning, I better get to it. "Nothing gets done sitting on my donkey!"

Have a great day everybody!

Say Paratrooper: Your getting things mixed up, I'm well aware of how limber, 'Aactual PARTICAL BOARD' is. But OSB is much more rigid and water proof to my knowledge.

What I'm referring to is made up from chips the size of the palm of your hand or finger or larger all glued together with a water proof glue! That's the reason I mentioned about my table top getting wet which it did and all I did, some time after it occurred was to soak up the water on top of the board. No damage of any kind occurred and no sagging like Partical board would have done!

Here's the Comparson link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=MDF+board&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=osb+vs+particle+board

The OSB 'Oriented Strand Board' is the second image from the Left, and what you want, as it's very much like Plywood and probably just about as strong. I use it for my sub-road bed to often span about two feet with no sag at all!

I've taken some pictures to show what I've done with the 7/16" OSB, but the images haven't yet been sent to my computer so I can up load them to PB so I can post them.

As soon as I can I will, it took most of the day. LoL

er%20section%20behind%20Five%20Oaksjpg_zpsg4vrtdfy.jpg

-upper%20Right%20Amalgamate%20curvejpg_zps3daaplt1.jpg

LOL! Finding a product that will provide a good running surface in a 'single layer' is proving to be very difficult.

Warm and 'still' this morning here in the mitten. A "Korean" morning, they call their country, "The Land of the Morning Calm." and it IS!

Good morning to all. In serious need of coffee. 57.gif Much better.

Garry - Did enjoy the conversation last evening.

Karl - I'll agree with you completely. I used plywood and if I had to do things over again, I would still use plywood. On th elasr yard in my layout I did spike track and turnouts directly to the plywood and even that was a bear. I was lucky that I had some heavy duty spikes stashed away. Probably bent a quarter of them in the process. Plywood is a lot easier to work with the OSB of MDF.

Eric - Appreciate the effort of trying to find out if Carey. Sure hope he is recovering.

Good morning again,

I witnessed a strange occurrence this morning. We have mostly clear skies and had a beautiful, colorful sunrise. Then seemingly out nowhere came a burst of moderate to heavy rain. The skies were mostly clear except for the dark rain cloud right over my home. I guess that is what it feels like to be Terry. True to my luck as soon as my daughter and grandson stepped on to the front porch to leave for school the rain stopped. Shortly after they had driven away the rain began again for another few minutes.

Now for something completely different. I found this beauty this morning and she was just so majestic looking I had to share her with everyone.
1fc5290be1dd5acbe4d6af64ed1f4844.jpg

Well now I am off to the post office and to run some errands.

Have a great day everybody.

Warning,
OSB is a b**ch to get track nail into. Plywood will be easier.

Well, I'm not going with the ply cause of the 'noise factor' OSB is out cause the guy that is basically building this thing for me will NOT even consider it, the price of 'double topping' with foam over ply is out due to budget considerations, so a single layer of MDF is what will go down beginning today! Good , bad or a disaster it IS what I'll be running on till it catastrophically FAILS! A day , a year it will be more 'train time' than I ever thought I would get!

Good morning again,

I witnessed a strange occurrence this morning. We have mostly clear skies and had a beautiful, colorful sunrise. Then seemingly out nowhere came a burst of moderate to heavy rain. The skies were mostly clear except for the dark rain cloud right over my home. I guess that is what it feels like to be Terry. True to my luck as soon as my daughter and grandson stepped on to the front porch to leave for school the rain stopped. Shortly after they had driven away the rain began again for another few minutes.

Now for something completely different. I found this beauty this morning and she was just so majestic looking I had to share her with everyone.

Louis, I saw this, and thought of you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lionel-GM-5...-Locomotive-/111786039931?hash=item1a06f79a7b

GOTTA get to the store get some top and get running! Was really getting into talking smack with the Brothers on the Korea/ D.M.Z. pages on the face thingy but 'they' kicked it up a notch and are trying to make me sign in EVERY time now! Got to swap some stories and pictures with guys that were stationed at the same base before, DURING and after 'my time'! It WAS really fun.
I highly recommend to any vets that want to re-connect with the old unit try to find them on the facething, maybe you will have better luck.

FIE on em, a POX and all the rest!

LOL! Somebody post a cool train or something, I'm bumming out.

Good morning again,

Oooo, THAT'S what I'm talkin bout!

What basic loco should I get to TRY to model this. Or is this even based on a 'real' locomotive?
hqdefaultTHUNDERCHIEF.jpgIs there anything close?

Terry, I used Homabed roadbed over plywood and really have no major noise problem. In the first video in my signature, the switching video, the noise from the locomotive drowns out any rail noise. At the very end when the locomotive finally goes into the tunnel and hidden siding, I do hear the clickity clack of the wheels. Nothing wrong with that . A lot less noise than standing next to the real thing and rather pleasant to me. When operating non sound locomotives I still don't have any real noise problems. Maybe I'm just getting old and going deaf. Old.gif

Louis - Another great photo, thanks for posting.

Good morning.

Louis ..... I like the photo B&0 51 ! .... It's pilot looks like one from an F-unit instead of its original pilot. .... I wonder if B&O shops made the change while the engine was in service or if the B&O Museum did that while restoring the locomotive.

Yesterday, I worked on scenery for my rural scene which will include the grin elevators, sheds, small office building, and stock yards.

Happy Model Railroading.

Back