Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

Who can identify what loco this model is of? Of the prototypes, there were only 2 "A's" and 1 "B" built. (Sorry Terry, you're barred 'cause you know 'em all)

ALCOC-8551_zpsromfeb12.png

I have no clue what it is but I kinda like it. It has an "SD-Alco" kitbash look to it, low and BEASTY!

I have no clue what it is but I kinda like it. It has an "SD-Alco" kitbash look to it, low and BEASTY!

Oooooh!?

I'm off to have shower, so Terry (who obviously DOES know what it is) is quizmaster in case some-one else does. Added clue, they had 32 cylinders each.

The "Dependable Transportation" slogan on the cabs had to be the biggest joke I'd seen...
They were maintenance intensive, or, if you prefer to be not-so-politically-correct, Hangar Queens.
Another locomotive that turned out to be something of a gaffe was the U50C. They also did their part to take unreliability to a new level.

http://www.american-rails.com/alco-c855.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Terry, I'm running Win10 on my machine now (still finding my way around it, the start menu is not as easy to use as Win7's, not yet anyway. Wife's still on 7 and no desire to change). There are claims that Defender doesn't protect all that well, but that could be sales-speak.
I've put 10 on my wife's desktop computer, and it seems to be doing well. It has Defender, and she has never gotten any malware with it.
I got a new laptop with 8.1 on it, to play computer games. I upgraded to 10, and half the games didn't work. I ended up downgrading back to 8.1 on it.

Good morning all. Starting off at 54 this morning, hoping to hit the 70's again today.

Interesting locomotive. The UP had some great locomotives, but in their quest for high horsepower power, also had some of the biggest flops in the industry.

The coffee 57.gif is great this morning.

Terry's trees look fantastic. Thanks for the photos.

Curt - Another fine picture.

Looks like NG is starting to get worn down, but what a great start for a layout. That's some nice work.

Eric - Only a short visit to the layout? That's about all I have been able to do for months. Hopefully in three to four weeks the main projects will be finished and I can get back to work og railroad projects. Gotta have a picture. Here's a crew taking a break after loading ice onto a couple of reefers getting ready to load meat.

IMAG0784.jpg

Ve-e-ry Good E, You're obviously learning the searching game. I found it first on a UP website, went to Google pictures and was going to copy and paste one up in the UP colors, but then saw the bare brass model, much more nondescript. They ere built to compete for UP's request for multi engine locos, won of course by the DDA40X.

I've put 10 on my wife's desktop computer, and it seems to be doing well. It has Defender, and she has never gotten any malware with it.
I got a new laptop with 8.1 on it, to play computer games. I upgraded to 10, and half the games didn't work. I ended up downgrading back to 8.1 on it.

Will give it a try then, at least it's the right price. The Norton that's on both machines now must not be really fully Win10 ready 'cause when I've tried to use the new browser, Edge, Norton pops up a warning that it can't protect my machine because Edge doesn't allow extensions. On my machine the Norton symbol in the taskbar comes up very quickly, on my wife's it takes about a minute and appears last. She can't access anything till it starts. Didn't do that with the previous 360 we had. Got'ta love computers.

Ve-e-ry Good E, You're obviously learning the searching game. I found it first on a UP website, went to Google pictures and was going to copy and paste one up in the UP colors, but then saw the bare brass model, much more nondescript. They ere built to compete for UP's request for multi engine locos, won of course by the DDA40X.

Believe it or not I found it by searching on the truck configuration.
"B+B-B+B locomotive" got it right away.
Also given a high output, short production run could lead one to believe it would have been another UP "sponsored" build.
Sort of like the Big Boys, Challengers and the DDA40X. They built them big and awesome but very few!

Chett, I always imagined the ice to be crushed like what they use in fishing trawler's holds, but I guess block ice melts more slowly than crushed.

Good morning all. Starting off at 54 this morning, hoping to hit the 70's again today.

Interesting locomotive. The UP had some great locomotives, but in their quest for high horsepower power, also had some of the biggest flops in the industry.

The coffee View attachment 52846 is great this morning.

Terry's trees look fantastic. Thanks for the photos.

Curt - Another fine picture.

Looks like NG is starting to get worn down, but what a great start for a layout. That's some nice work.

Eric - Only a short visit to the layout? That's about all I have been able to do for months. Hopefully in three to four weeks the main projects will be finished and I can get back to work og railroad projects. Gotta have a picture. Here's a crew taking a break after loading ice onto a couple of reefers getting ready to load meat.

View attachment 52847

Just at the end of each phase I've been getting discouraged. ("It's YOOOOOGE"!) But then the new activity brings me closer to run time and I get excited again!

Blocks of ice were easier to work with than smaller pieces when it came to getting them from the ice house to the rail car. Once at the rail car, the ice would be beaten into submission with heavy tools of destruction at the ice hatch and then dumped into the ice bunker..

PFE-ice-moving-into-reefer-cars-c1930s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can NOT and WILL not take any more credit for the bench work than thinking of the basic shape! This has been ROB's 'baby' from the first sheet of drywall! ALL I've done is 'help'! For $100 dollars an hour plus room and board he will do the same for YOU! (I think I just became a MRR PIMP!) LOL!

Will give it a try then, at least it's the right price. The Norton that's on both machines now must not be really fully Win10 ready 'cause when I've tried to use the new browser, Edge, Norton pops up a warning that it can't protect my machine because Edge doesn't allow extensions. On my machine the Norton symbol in the taskbar comes up very quickly, on my wife's it takes about a minute and appears last. She can't access anything till it starts. Didn't do that with the previous 360 we had. Got'ta love computers.
10 comes with Defender included, and it is difficult to remove.
Part of the issue I see with all the other ones is they conflict with Defender. 8, 8.1, and 10 all have it.

Blocks of ice were easier to work with than smaller pieces when it came to getting them from the ice house to the rail car. Once at the rail car, the ice would be beaten into submission with heavy tools of destruction at the ice hatch and then dumped into the ice bunker..

View attachment 52848

That's what you call Labor intensive.

10 comes with Defender included, and it is difficult to remove.
Part of the issue I see with all the other ones is they conflict with Defender. 8, 8.1, and 10 all have it.

That would explain all the new notifications I kept getting that both Defender and Norton were switched off and yet I knew Norton was working, didn't matter what I did, the same notifications kept coming back, so I just ignored them. Just checked and the only one there now is telling me to do a backup, even though I have that set for Sunday 7:00PM.

When they showed Ray Bradbury "windows" for the first time he said "That's a lot of HOKUM!" And he was RIGHT! 10. 10! 10???? What was rong with ONE??? LOL!

Back