Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Good morning .... Coffee and a donut please.

Louis is streaking !.... Yikes !

I B Ken .... Great to see you here. ... The GP30's look great so far.

WIllie .... Looking forward to 2019..... The crap loads look great in your gons. Are they commercially made loads or did you make them yourself ?

Johnny ... Glad you did not have a tornado at your home. Also glad you are back to running trains and working on scenery. I am not familiar with Granby, MO.

Curt ... Good to know you had a safe trip and your SIL is improving.

-----

I have modified some BLI Budd passenger cars lately to solve derailing problems. .... So far, results are successful.

Below is the "Heartland Zephyr ". Four of the five cars are BLI cars I worked on.

30279127858_b78cb00c13_b.jpg

The crap loads look great in your gons. Are they commercially made loads or did you make them yourself ?
The loads in the RailGon and Cotton Belt cars came from Chooch Industries, the load in the UP gon and the one on the extreme right are homemade. I collect odd-shaped pieces of sprue, horn-hook couplers, crumpled metal foil from the tops of wine bottles, odd pieces of wire and wire insulation, cut-up pieces of unused covered hopper roof hatches and other debris; I then hit them with brown, rust or gray primer (or a combination) whenever I use one of those colors and mix 'em all up for loads.

Good morning . Already 86* Back up to 94 again later/with T/S . Nearby strike shook house and took out our a/c. TV also acting funny. Staying off the puter so not to have the heat screw it up also.
Glad to hear from CURT .And all others.
Peace-Prayers and Blessings to all.
Phil

Good morning. Starting the day off at 56 degrees with an expected high only in the mid 60's. The smoke is really thick from the forest fires. They have even put out an air quality warning. None are close to us, but the winds can carry the smoke for hundreds of miles.

Taken in mid June --------------------------------------- Taken Yesterday

20180517_060434.jpg 20180819_185038.jpg

Ken - Like the GP-30's. Nice photo. I have always liked the looks of them, but too modern for the era I'm modeling.

Toot - Interesting photos. The Dodge Dart could really be a sleeper, until around 1971 when the government mandates castrated muscle cars.

Terry - Like the switcher. Nice to see you posting photos.

Garry - Awesome photo. Thumb up.gif

Willie - Another nice photo. So far as taking photos of sun bathers, I haven't got the confidence yet to get high enough to try anything like that. Need more practice.

Too windy today to fly the drone so it's on to model railroad projects.

Here's my rail picture for today from Merritt Island, FL.

Railroad_Tracks_-_Merritt_Island,_Florida.jpg

Later

Good Morning -- looking out the window I imagine that I am partaking of the infield RV parking lot of a NASCAR racetrack. Four Hundred and Twenty Nine RV's so close together that you can spit on your neighbor. Lord help me! I think some of them even brought their house with them!
Cloudy/overcast and 69 degrees -- sun will be out maybe in another hour. Ocean to our right - Bay to our left with an under highway walkway to the bay. G-Kids love it, wife and daughters love it, but I prefer the woodsy mountain/lake type places away from the crowds.
It was so smokey from the campfires that made my eyes burn last evening. I don't understand the need to have a fire -- fires are to warm you when it's cold!

KEN - Garry - Terry - Willie - Gene: Great photos! Hope that I did not miss anyone?

LOUIS, streaking? I can only imagine - EEK!

I can tell you from personal experience, shipping one of those is $$$.
I paid $42 us in shipping to return the SW1200 I posted the photo of.

Terry...I have no idea what shipping from Canada would cost you ....I can tell you the cost of the model would be Canadian$ Msrp based on the msrp from years ago when they were first shipped.

The loads in the RailGon and Cotton Belt cars came from Chooch Industries, the load in the UP gon and the one on the extreme right are homemade. I collect odd-shaped pieces of sprue, horn-hook couplers, crumpled metal foil from the tops of wine bottles, odd pieces of wire and wire insulation, cut-up pieces of unused covered hopper roof hatches and other debris; I then hit them with brown, rust or gray primer (or a combination) whenever I use one of those colors and mix 'em all up for loads.

I have lots of odds and ends for scrap loads. Pieces from old sprinkler heads and backflow preventers, wire scraps, not to mention all of the potential scraps from the cars themselves as I swap out plastic detail parts for brass. And that whole load of Citations I mentioned earlier. My grandfather was once a salvage yard owner and never really got out of it. I learned the art of scrap metal from him. Lol. Drives my wife nuts and would have the HOA police on my doorstep on a regular basis if we had em. I'm going to experiment with the making things for the yard soon. Old appliances, cars, random metal crap. It's going to be fun.:D

Good Afternoon everyone....Cloudy in Wisconsin and heavy rain later with Flash Flood Warnings for the evening and Tuesday early morning hours. Could use the the rain, but not the flooding. Just starting to rain.

Getting the cabin ready for visitors on Labor Weekend. We're have neigbors come to dinner that are within walking distance of our cabin and in 12 years we never entertained them other than meeting by accident in local bar and grills. The funny part is we met them years ago in a restaurant in Brookfield, Wisconsin that's near our main home and found out they were our up north neighbors! Across the road from our driveway is their woods.

Everyone...great rail photographs and I been catching up on the recent posts.

Willie and Jesse: Willie has a lot of good suggestions for scrap load items...but I'll add even painted and weathered sprue pieces, door and windows, under body details, oil tanks, just plain dirt, broken ties and gravel on the bottom of a gondola (just the remains of a load) and or I even have a BB motor blacked black and weathered on a flat car.

Chet: Here in Wisconsin several weeks ago, we had the most beautiful red sunsets that were caused by the upper atmosphere smoke from the California and perhaps Montana wildfires.

Congrats on your maiden flight with your new drone.

Garry: I like the detail of the piles of ties and rails in your photograph. Overall a great scene!

Sherrel:
We have campgrounds in Wisconsin that are like what you are experiencing with wall to wall RV's and campers. Not sure if that is getting away from it all. Give me my cabin in the woods where I can't see a neighbor.

Drove home this afternoon on a different route that took us through Berlin, Wisconsin. The downtown streets look like the buildings were modeled after DPM structures, very ornate with ginger bread trim and brick and stone details and the buildings were painted numerous muted colors and with informational signage. So many small town shops. The same for sections of other Wisconsin small towns with vintage downtown areas.

Tomorrow layout time and I have lots of plans for projects and lets see if I follow them!

That's all for now.

Greg

#################################

How's that song go? Rainy days & Mondays always get me down. Took a trip to a Mennonite fabric store with MOH, about an hour away, passing our fair share of buggies on the way(Clark County is in the heart of Amish country). Planning to work on a ADM elevator kit while she goes to a craft night at the library in town with MIL.

Here's my railway picture for the day, from the now-wife's first NASCAR raceweek, in Martinsville, VA.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 127
How's that song go? Rainy days & Mondays always get me down. Took a trip to a Mennonite fabric store with MOH, about an hour away, passing our fair share of buggies on the way(Clark County is in the heart of Amish country). Planning to work on a ADM elevator kit while she goes to a craft night at the library in town with MIL.

Here's my railway picture for the day, from the now-wife's first NASCAR raceweek, in Martinsville, VA.

Add a toothache to that song and you've got my day in a nutshell. Got some antibiotics for the infection now, so I should be ok in a week. Got no jobs finished today. Spent more than I made. And been walking around looking like I had a baseball under my right eye all day. Yay Monday.

Willie/Karl/Garry/Chet/Sherrell - thanks for the kind words about my GP30's! (Hope I didn't miss anybody...)

Karl, I believe the first item in your list, #190-400, bears the closest resemblance to what I need - thanks for finding it! Here is a photo I got of one with a hand-me-down, totally-manual 35mm camera in 1971 - the only GP30 shot in my entire proto-photo collection where the horn is plainly visible. (Any of you Marylanders recognize the location?)

6941_GP30_sm.jpg

Now I have to order one of those horns for each GP30 on my roster. I can't count the number of times I tried to fashion something like that out of plastic only to have them break off a short while later...

Good evening .... We're in a heavy rain storm at the moment.

Chet, Sherrel, Greg, and others.... Thanks for remarks about my photo. ... Teh stack of rail is left-over brass rail.

Truck Dad ..... Those loads are impressive. ... I heard Thomas the Tank Engine is hauled on a flat bed truck going to various locations to entertain children. That would be an impressive sight too .

Willie .... I used small pieces of stuff like you did to make scrap piles in the junk yard. I have used "scrap sheet steel" in gondolas made from residue in a paper shredder.

I B Ken ..... Nice photo of B&O GP30's .... I'm guessing the photo was in Baltimore.

Is that the one Clint Eastwood stole?
He stole a plane too?? No, this one was at the Mojave, CA "boneyard" (Sherrell will know where that is) and I hauled it to Santa Maria, CA. A fellow who was a importer/exporter with Russia bought it.
Dave

Back