Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning folks

30F and a couple inches of new white. I'm uncertain if that is going to have an adverse effect on a antique tractor (1939 Oliver 80 Row Crop) extraction from a shed where it has slumbered for the last 3 plus decades. A friend is coming out after lunch to help with that. My brother is going to pick the tractor up next week.

I received my package from Precision Scale yesterday which included some parts to detail Rayonier No 45 but doubt I will have any time to spend on that today.

Good Morning!
32F to start the day, with the weather guesser threatening snow. I think he's full of it!

Saw scenes of extensive tornado damage on the 6:00 news. Wow, if those photos are true, it looks really bad. Hope my American friends survive that horrific onslaught. - Makes me wonder if building in those areas, is just hoping for a chance that you'll get lucky.

It seems the wife isn't going to give me the recommended healing time after the surgery. She wants a new garden archway for her climbing roses.
Lucky for me, I'm strong and heal quickly. I'll start that project as soon as I figure-out how to build an arch.

I've been looking at the station platform on my layout, thinking it looks too grey and shiny.
3rdClass_04-04-2024.JPG

I have many photos that describe old wood as being grey:
Heritage_02-22-2024 (1).JPG

Still, I believe I'll tone the platform down with more washes and some MM flat lacquer. It's more important to look good to the eye, than be absolutely true.

Here's a photo of some kind of track laying machine that I took yesterday:
CN 20019_04-29-2024.JPG

I also got some really good locomotive photos, without pole interference. I'll post those later.

Willie - I love that 3rd photo you posted today. Looks like a very real, natural street scene from the air. It does seem necessary to upgrade the room lighting to more modern 5600k LED.

Anyway, the doggy is bothering me. So, I gotta go! - 30yrs of walking dogs over hill and through forest twice a day has kept me healthy.
Have a wonderful day!

Good Morning!
32F to start the day, with the weather guesser threatening snow. I think he's full of it!

Saw scenes of extensive tornado damage on the 6:00 news. Wow, if those photos are true, it looks really bad. Hope my American friends survive that horrific onslaught. - Makes me wonder if building in those areas, is just hoping for a chance that you'll get lucky.

It seems the wife isn't going to give me the recommended healing time after the surgery. She wants a new garden archway for her climbing roses.
Lucky for me, I'm strong and heal quickly. I'll start that project as soon as I figure-out how to build an arch.

I've been looking at the station platform on my layout, thinking it looks too grey and shiny.
View attachment 186785

I have many photos that describe old wood as being grey:
View attachment 186786
Still, I believe I'll tone the platform down with more washes and some MM flat lacquer. It's more important to look good to the eye, than be absolutely true.

Here's a photo of some kind of track laying machine that I took yesterday:
View attachment 186787
I also got some really good locomotive photos, without pole interference. I'll post those later.

Willie - I love that 3rd photo you posted today. Looks like a very real, natural street scene from the air. It does seem necessary to upgrade the room lighting to more modern 5600k LED.

Anyway, the doggy is bothering me. So, I gotta go! - 30yrs of walking dogs over hill and through forest twice a day has kept me healthy.
Have a wonderful day!
Nice station there!!

Ahhhh.... Hornby's US site is wonky. Found the brands drop down menu.

How's the quality of their locos and rolling stock?

The only items listed under Rivarossi on the Hornby site are HO scale. Sounds like they didn't purchase the entire line, just some products.
They only kept what they thought would sell in Europe, the rest were all shelved.

Last edited:
Good morning, all! Well, the sun is out. With all the rain from Sunday's storms, 3.25 inches, and the sunshine and humidity, it's going to be one muggy day. Not a lot happening here. I purchased a new kitchen faucet for installation later this week. Rain forecasted for Fri. so that maybe the day to install.
I'm looking at a couple of Downtown Deco kits that I might try. I would like to replace some of the old plastic buildings in downtown Apple Ridge.

Guy - the only dog I have on the layout currently is this one down at the pier checking out the catch of the day.
1714493558812.jpeg

Jefferies Point ( a Bar Mills kit)
1714493717715.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 68F and clear skies. Humidity is growing and 70% currently. After the normal morning chores, I headed to the train room and hooked the tower up electrically. After that I built a small set of stairs (3 step) for either side of the track in front of the tower and a wood insert between the rails to allow tower workers to get there. I'll take a photo tonight when it's dark.

Patrick- Unfortunately it's always something at our age.

Mike- Great sign.

Terry- Wow. That would be some pucker factor.

Smudge- Very cool videos.

Bill- Neat photo.

TomO- I hope the move went smoothly and with low stress.

Guy- Nice photos.

Hughie- Great layout shots.

Willie- Great city scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 68F and clear skies. Humidity is growing and 70% currently. After the normal morning chores, I headed to the train room and hooked the tower up electrically. After that I built a small set of stairs (3 step) for either side of the track in front of the tower and a wood insert between the rails to allow tower workers to get there. I'll take a photo tonight when it's dark.

Patrick- Unfortunately it's always something at our age.

Mike- Great sign.

Terry- Wow. That would be some pucker factor.

Smudge- Very cool videos.

Bill- Neat photo.

TomO- I hope the move went smoothly and with low stress.

Guy- Nice photos.

Hughie- Great layout shots.

Willie- Great city scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt, I don't know if you could make out in the audio when the engineer matter-of-factly asks if they should move away from the windows...

Afternoon all,

Currently 85° and windy, possibility of storms later this evening and into tomorrow.

On of our IT techs lost her younger brother over the weekend, so she's out for the remainder of the week. I scrubbed the remaining scheduled vacation days as I think I'd be needed at the office. Forms to allow me to carry over the remaining hours are filled out and signed by all involved. I'll take a couple of days when it's more convenient. Wife accused me of not wanting too take my vacation and the HR reps said she was probably right when I told hem what she said.

TomO: Good luck on the move. As per the conversation of a few days ago, house will only get paid off early if I need to do so. Right now that money is earning me more than I'm paying in interest on the house (5.25% earning vs. 3% paying). Either way, the last payment at this point will have the house paid off in 11 years on a 15 year note.

Good afternoon.

One house is empty and the other one is full. All beds are set up, the furniture in the positions I think I was told where to put them! House cleaners are coming back here at 4 to just give the house another good vacuuming and rinse the hardwood floors.

I will be heading over again to the old place and do a run through with our realtor and the buyer’s realtor at 4:30. I did let our realtor know yesterday that I ran off the utility company in the morning and the electrical in the afternoon. He agreed that we weren’t told about any of that and he informed the buyers realtor. Said it was a strange conversation and when informed the work orders were in our name he said the conversation changed to full understanding. Our realtor thinks the buyer’s realtor was not in the know. If there is an issue with this the Attorney and realtor both know to get up and walk away…

We are not going to attend the closing at 2pm as really we are not needed as both our realtor and attorney will be there. We don’t care how the buyer is buying it. Real simple, a bank transfer is handed over to the Attorney, he confirms the transfers, signs the papers and a check already cut but not signed handed to our realtor after the Attorney signs it. Last week I reviewed the surveys of the property and checked that our surveyors had staked out the property boundaries. Real easy standing there with the coordinates and flying the drone to each spot.

got the new Jabra hearing aids

Compared to the Phonak KS-10 from Costco, they're different... some good, some different...

Not sure if I like them as well as the old ones... but they're different. The calls in, and bluetooth streaming sound tinny.

And - the old phonaks are going in for warranty replacement. So I may end up with 2 pair if Phonak actually sends new ones out.

The Jabras are going to take some getting used to. And perhaps a trip in to get them adjusted. We'll have to see.

I have Phonak Naida P30-UP....for severe impairment for both ears. I love these and this is my 2nd set of this model. I get a new pair every 3 years which is when the warranty runs out on them. I have used Phonak for 9 years now and have not looked back. I had just about every manufacturer ever made in my 51 years of wearing hearing aids. I started wearing them at the age of 4. These are by far the best I have ever had. I have had the bluetooth technology before ya'll had those Apple Air Pods. I have had this capability since 2005.

Dinner is done. Wife made corn bread and heated up a can of green beans. I had the chuck roast brisket style ready to go. We had a nice dinner on the patio. I'm inside, on the recliner with soft jazz on the youtube.

Just realized I didn't take my evening pills. BRB

Going to a doctor's appointment this morning traveling on a route that I use to go work on
for the past 18 years. Traveling in the left lane doing 43mph in a 40mph posted speed limit area.
Cops don't bother you if you don't exceed 5mph over the speed limit. The right lane soon ends
and merges into left lane. A VW minivan in the right lane blasts past me and abruptly pulls in
front of me. Not slowing down at all, it passes a state police cruiser parked in a pull off area.
Blue lights and it gets pulled over as I continue my journey with a smile on my face. For once,
nice to have the cop at the right place at the right time. Made my day.

Going to a doctor's appointment this morning traveling on a route that I use to go work on
for the past 18 years. Traveling in the left lane doing 43mph in a 40mph posted speed limit area.
Cops don't bother you if you don't exceed 5mph over the speed limit. The right lane soon ends
and merges into left lane. A VW minivan in the right lane blasts past me and abruptly pulls in
front of me. Not slowing down at all, it passes a state police cruiser parked in a pull off area.
Blue lights and it gets pulled over as I continue my journey with a smile on my face. For once,
nice to have the cop at the right place at the right time. Made my day.
got to love karma! It doesn't happen near enough!

The situation you describe really annoys me as well. Especially in construction zones where its posted several miles before that the lanes merge up ahead. There is always at least one entailed PR-CK that cant be bothered to just move over and go with the flow. While driving on our vacation a few weeks ago the semis were blocking both lanes and not letting cars jump to the front. It was hilarious watching some drivers spitting nails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back