Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness can you come take my MRI!

Even with medication ( lorazepam) to calm me I hate hate that tunnel. Even the open MRI’s scare me. My anxiety has kicked up so much worrying about that machine I have put off scheduling it since the doctor told me she needed another scan to see if anything has spread… that was in January.

Then after the MRI confirms what we already know. Surgery then they need me on the low sodium diet for a few weeks prior to the radiation start. Then another MRi while radiated! I need to get over the fear and do it, but…
I hate the damn machine as well. However I bring my own Pink Floyd CD with me for them to play through the headphones and I just close my eyes and get lost in the music.

Anyone need this sign for their train-room?

1714426166729.png

I'm up...
Posted the following to the wrong thread yesterday. Let's try again...

Sooooo... just realized that the game company I demo for is partnered up with Hornby (and might be combined in a few years).

Looks like Hornby does OO (corrected from previous) scale and HO scale. (I model N)...what's the good and bad and in between of Hornby railway models? Locos, etc?

Last edited:
I'm up...
Posted the following to the wrong thread yesterday. Let's try again...

Sooooo... just realized that the game company I demo for is partnered up with Hornby (and might be combined in a few years).

Looks like Hornby does O scale and HO scale. (I model N)...what's the good and bad and in between of Hornby railway models? Locos, etc?
Hornby stopped making O scale in the 60's. (and I think that was clockwork).
Their last HO was the Lima Deltic, which I think was sometime in the 70's and they've never made N scale under their own name, think that was Rivarossi. Hornby now only produce OO and TT scale and if they have plans afoot to make other scales, they're keeping quiet about it.

The new tooling for locos like the Scotsman for example looks to be much improved, and they're finally understanding that they have to up their game, the new model includes TXS sound, flickering firebox, die cast footplate and a steam generator for £293, (but still no classification lights which would make any UK steamer really stand out IMHO).

Motors are much improved using can motors with a single flywheel on their steamers, pickups are usually on the center drive wheels, but may have tender pickups as well depending on the model.

Diesels seem to be a mixed bag depending on which model it is, some still have the single bogey or truck drive, whereas others have the same setup as US locos with "center drive" with twin flywheels.

Last edited:
Ahhhh.... Hornby's US site is wonky. Found the brands drop down menu.

How's the quality of their locos and rolling stock?

The only items listed under Rivarossi on the Hornby site are HO scale. Sounds like they didn't purchase the entire line, just some products.

Good morning from a bright morning in Wisconsin.

The movers arrived at 6:30 and they are moving through the house.

One of the Hunks with a Truck (it’s the name of the moving company) was downstairs in the cave and asked me while I was standing 10’ from the layout, r u a model railroader? (Fraternity kid supremely intelligent) I said yes and his said his dad is also but in Ohio!

It’s 44f degrees now heading to a nice 76. No rain today but severe storms are supposed to arrive around midnight.

I did run the local utility company off the property yesterday. Told them they can come back when the new owner takes possession 5/1 at 2pm. Totally unexpected yesterday and the work orders had OUR name on them! We are off grid with electric being provided by solar and wind. We did run a line from the road during construction to a drop box about 160’ from the house. It cost a bundle on the last house to do that as part of the counter offers. But I was not yesterday going to allow anything that I could be held liable for payment, especially as I was unaware. Then yesterday afternoon a local electric company knocked on the door, he was going to install the junction box in the garage, told him the same…

I am getting out of here for maybe 30 minutes. I will be driving to McDonalds for a Sausage Egg McMuffin and bringing my own Diet Dr Pepper. I will eat it over at the Community Athletic complex picnic area! I will head to Lake Geneva for dinner and over night around 5. We will be back for the closing at 2 on Wednesday. We should be completely in the new place by then! I need to stop at the no fee ATM and get some tipping cash for these guys!

The movers say we’ll be out of here by 10, the cleaning company is over at the new place and will arrive here around 11. I will be around all day but staying out of the way of the people who know what they are doing

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 64°, no wind and humidity of 99%, making it quite muggy out there. Still the same old forecast, except that they have moved the rain chances up to Wednesday now. I can almost guarantee that it will be raining when I get home with the groceries on Thursday. The forecast calls for 5 days in a row of potential thunderstorms, the heaviest being overnight Wednesday.

No real plans for today until I see how soon the dew dries and maybe I can resume mowing some of the higher ground around the train shed. I do intend to use the weedeater around the pool and the rear of the house but that will take less than 30 minutes. I did pick some of the second planting of Lettuce from the garden yesterday. We feasted on it and some of the first planting last night. I also prepared some fresh from the garden Broccoli to go with the Chuck Roast. I'm guesstimating that I will be harvesting the first of the Green Peas this Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. I'll have to look for a break in the rain.

Another day of train running out in the train shed yesterday. I also did some minor cleanup, mainly under the workbench where grass clippings and mud remnants gather. It still won't be any easier to find dropped parts there though!
Here are a few random shots from the archive today.
IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG

11-13-17 012.JPG

Tom O - That tornado in Marietta OK was just 36 miles north of me. Just another reminder that we do live in "Tornado Alley" here. That one was more severe than the one 2 years ago that was visible from our back yard, that passed about 1.25 miles west of us. We saw it because we heard it first and went out to look. Ours was just an EF1, Marietta's was an EF4. I recall at least 5 tornadoes in the 43 years that I have lived here that came within 5 miles. Most did very little damage as they mainly went over pastureland.
I have read that it seems that a majority of the arrested protesters recently are not students. And someone is paying for all of the food that is distributed! I read what I call a conspiracy theory yesterday, stating that the protests are being intentionally staged to redirect American citizens attention away from higher gas and grocery prices, immigration problems, and other domestic issues
Louis - It will be interesting to see how the city of Chicago handles the situation this summer during the convention. Various groups have already announced that they will be protesting, hopefully peacefully; and the current influx of illegal immigrants means that the authorities hands will be full. Add to that the usual spree of shootings there along with their shortage of police officers.
Grizzled - There' a huge model railroad club in the basement of that Livingston Station. That's where Chet started hanging out once he found out it was there.

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back