Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy and 69°, humidity at 69% as well. Going up to 85° later today, a muggy day for sure. Forecast is for "strong storms" starting about 10:00, but right now the radar shows that they skirted north from us and are moving eastward through Arkansas right now. Never know, this time of year they can pop up anytime, anywhere and bring tornados, hail and heavy rain.
We had to make an unscheduled earlier than usual trip to the grocery store yesterday, wife was really low on iced coffee. The Kroger that we go to seemed to be returning to normal. While they were low on TP, they weren't out and they had a huge display of hand sanitizer, probably over 400 quart bottles. Picked up an Rx at Walgreens and visited the Vitamin Store since they are all on the same intersection. While folks were social distancing and wearing face masks everywhere, it otherwise seemed that life was returning to normal judging from the traffic. Or else they were all just cruising while taking advantage of the $0.99/gal gas.

Two eggs over easy and a handful of bacon today Francine. No toast but a big glass of OJ. Louis seems to have Flo's attention over there this morning.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the ongoing trip around the layout; Joe, Sherrel, Patrick, George, Louis, Karl, Guy, Jerome, Bob, Curt, Garry, Tom, Ken, Paul, James.

Onward we go out in the train shed. Moving south after Seebold's, we come upon a trailer and shop.
04-22-20 001.JPG

Just visible in the left corner is the grain dryer for the Valley Grower's grain elevator.
04-22-20 002.JPG

And the grain elevator itself, the third one since leaving the North end staging yard. This is another Walther's kit with a Rix grain silo. I don't remember whether the grain drying shed came with this kit or from another one.
04-22-20 003.JPG

To the left of the cows is another trailer, with part of the family washing their dogs.
04-20-20 014.JPG

04-20-20 015.JPG

That's it for today. Tomorrow I'll make the U-turn at the end of the aisle and come back up the other side to the end of this particular section.

Sherrel - What is this "jeni's ice cream" stuff? Is it a CA thing? I Never heard of it, but I don't normally eat ice cream either. I guess that I shouldn't make fun of Nancy, as I have a fridge full of nothing but Heineken and Sam Adams!
Curt - Nice progress.
Ken - The new foliage looks good. Waiting for the finished scene.
Louis - Had enough coffee yet? ;)

Today is Earth Day. It is also something that used to be called National Secretaries Day in a bygone era.

Everybody have a great day.

I thought I had everything I needed to do my front brakes, now I need brake fluid! :)

Thanks Terry

It's 5 years old, I think I'll look again into trading it in. I was already to buy the Mercedes Metris, but I just don't want to pay extra for all those "bells and whistles" I don't want or need!

I'm looking at a 4 door Colorado now, still too much extras, but it's cheaper and its a Chevy!

Anybody need front brake parts for a 2015 Chevy City Express/Nissan NV 200? No brake fluid.

Good morning y'all. happy Earth Day. I managed to get the lawn cut yesterday, before the storms passed through.

I did spend some time down in the train room yesterday, primarily looking for stuff lost in plain sight. :rolleyes: I also started tossing out some junk, I kept for about a year, in case I needed it. Right now, clutter is my enemy. As most of y'all have noticed, there is no plan to my railroad, it just sort of evolves, based on a prototype I have been familiar with since i was a dirtbag kid hanging out with my buddies, back in grade school days. I have now positioned two more modules to connect and complete. As usual, I sort of know what I want to do, but am not sure I have sufficient space to pull it off.

Willie: Like the trailer scenes.
Patrick: Great GN photo.
Louis: Nice photos. Especially the view from Orleans St, and the E33sand E44s on the pit at Potomac Yard. Actually, I preferred the E33s to the E44s, as they were strictly short end lead, single pantograph, and 24 brake. Downside, was they were drafty with weak heat in the winter. Not as noisy as the E44 either.

Lake Shore Limited #48 at Spuyten Duyvil, 04-20-2020.jpg

Lake Shore Limited #48 at Spuyten Duyvil on April 20 2020. A New York State of Mind, on the Hudson River Line. I have had the opportunity of riding the head end on both sides of the Hudson, and the scenery is fantastic. First time running a Ruhr Turbo Train Westbound right along here, back in the early 80s.

Good morning -- 71 high yesterday - estimating 84 today, and into the 90's after that! Looks as if winter/spring is coming to an end!
Willie: Never heard of that ice cream? Appears to be a Yuppie thing as I see that it is up and down the coast in all the high rent cities skipping Oceanside -- none close around here within 40 miles!
I think Nancy has eaten too much and it has given her "brain freeze".
I have given up on ice cream not because I don't like it, but if I bring some home, MOH devours it before I can get a bowl from the cabinet!

More action from the Montana Rail Link Railfan Society face book page. Ready for another MRL sensory overload? Got'ta keep up.
More from Saturday, afternoon. First it's the L/M (Laurel/Missoula) showing up at Bozeman to drop off a couple of cars

Photo credits to The Montana Rail Link Railfan Society face book page.
1587558928529.png

Then it's back to Logan. (A little more guess work to judge what has gone on before this pic was taken) It appears the empty ballast train has arrived from the 2nd sub, passed through the yard and onto the main out the other end which turns to the right abruptly past where you can see. Out there there is a siding which allows selection of a track that brings that train back into the yard and aligned for the 5th sub, but in reverse. The next pic shows that the locos have run around their train and coupled back on, in order to lead it up the 5th. It has also pulled out onto the 5th to allow the Fred to be attached to the rear
1587559908089.png

With the Fred attached, #'s 346 & 262 are about to move off, when the L/M enters the yard on the outer track, aiming for the 2nd sub
1587560171203.png

Neck and neck (almost) they race for each one's target
1587560457834.png

Our cameraman regrets the lack of bright sunlight, as he's been trying for this shot for a long time
1587560588561.png

With that excitement over, #346 & Co, head down the 5th sub
1587560948785.png

Here, we cross the Madison River. A commenter asks if the walking track on the left is the old Milwaukee Rd grade, but that is further west (left) of this.
1587561196680.png

We proceed towards Sappington and the Milwaukee grade is to the left and an desire to see a Little Joe again is expressed
1587561493226.png

CONTINUED

Attachments

• 1587560383001.png
    1587560383001.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 235
  • 1587560858932.png
    1587560858932.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
CONTINUATION

Entering the Jefferson Canyon, with the river of the same name on the right

Photo credits to The Montana Rail Link Railfan Society facebook page.
1587562709142.png

Winding along the riverbank
1587562786378.png

And into the canyon proper
1587562859470.png

Road and rail hemmed in between rock and river
1587562971788.png

Spectacular rock formations
1587563135378.png

Leaving the canyon near La Hood
1587563245440.png

Passing rolls of Hay at Cardwell
1587563358324.png

Finally arriving at Whitehall, where the train will tie down for the night, before loading ballast in the morning (Sunday) and returning east later in the week.
1587563696869.png

CONTINUED

Last edited:
FINAL SEQUENCE from today.
It seems no photos are able to be taken of the loading operation, probably from being on private property. A pity. So we finish this story with the now loaded ballast train on close approach to Logan but with #262 in the lead position.

Photo credits to The Montana Rail Link Railfan Society face book page.
1587564357524.png

Entering the yard once more, and the sun is out.
1587564454930.png

After parking their train, the locos have decoupled and run out to the end of the runaround track so they can resume the return journey back to where the load is required. A beautiful background.
1587564734886.png

1587564777495.png

Completing the runaround and backing up to their train,
1587564945392.png

And on the way over the Gallatin river, northwards.
1587565125024.png

Last edited:

Thanks Terry,

My cousin works for Koons Chevy. She gets a referral bonus for every purchase my family and I make regardless of which location we buy from. Koons has a Mercedes dealership, but no Nissan.

One I omitted from the story line, but worth inserting here, is this pic of folks practicing their social distancing on the river in kayaks. Maybe they just braved the raging rapids under the bridge?

Photo credit to The Montana Rail Link Railfan Society facebook page
1587566015104.png

Last edited:
OK. Since it sprinkled outside a bit ago, that cancelled my outdoor plans for a little while, so here's the next update in the layout tour.
Next to the last trailer is another rail-served industry, Consolidated Paper Products.
04-20-20 017.JPG

A view of the back.
04-20-20 016.JPG

I do not remember the manufacturer of this structure, the laser-cut outbuilding is from American Model Builders. That home on the other side of the tracks is one from Model Power.
Farther south is a bicycle repair shop.
04-22-20 010.JPG

This was assembled from DPM modular walls. I believe that all of these figures are from Preiser. The doggie was pre-painted, I did the bike, Timmy and Joe the owner.
Nestled back in an unfinished corner are some storage tracks for now.
04-20-20 018.001.JPG

I included a turnout here to eventually put some sort of rail served industry back in there, but it's still on the "round tuit" list. Not all of these tracks are currently connected to the passing siding, only the center two, so the future arrangement is still up in the air. Looks like I still need to ballast that passing siding. In the left upper corner, you can see that I still haven't installed the plywood backdrop yet. Sadly, I had it cut out but mistakenly cut something else out of it. Sigh! Need to remeasure and cut another one...it's also on the "round tuit" list. In my haste to complete the benchwork and trackwork, I have left some stuff for later.

Good bye again.

Morning all,

Saw lightning in the distance as I drove in to work this morning. They say possibility of some hit and miss storms all morning and then just rain the remainder of the day. High of 64*, currently 57*.

Weird the way the relief bill was written. Turns out that you are eligible for some unemployment if your company reduces your hours, and that because your getting even a partial unemployment check, you're then eligible for the additional $600 each week. That said I filled out the form the HR department sent out and pending approval will be working 8 hours less for the next 4-8 weeks. During that time, I'll be getting 2/3rd my normal pay from unemployment and then the additional $600 each week. If I'm out 4 weeks I give up about $1000 in direct pay from the city, to gain $3000 from the state and federal money. We'll see exactly how that pans out.

View attachment 47065

Wish I had models of both of these....

TOOT: I've seen a lot of Ferromex engines running in the BNSF Emporia sub through Kansas over past couple of years and you're correct that they're usually not the lead loco. Occasionally I'll see some silver engines that are indicative that they are\were commuter pullers. Getting them out to work them over longer distance?
I know cars that aren't run much tend to have issues if they're not occasionally used for long trips.

I drive by this every so often on my way to or from work....

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny here in Wisconsin.

Yesterday was a bust since I when to the hospital for a blood test and then lunch followed by rail fanning at DuPlainville, Wisconsin. No trains and only one Ran Fan. There was a string of open hoppers, well weathered and beat up on a siding south of Sussex, Wisconsin and a string of empty ore cars on another siding.

The CN makes almost daily runs moving crushed limestone from a limestone quarry in Sussex to the steel mills in Indiana. This operation was featured on MR Video Plus by Drew's Trackside Adventures and I happen to know the owner of the quarry and I just may call him and ask if I could watch them load the ore cars with limestone this summer.

I made another order to All Electrics for the mini wire cutters that I need and I add a few items, but found red flashing LED's for .45 cents each. I mounted red flashing warning light in a SOO Line caboose and the flasher unit alone was around $25 along. I ordered four of the LED's. It pays to stop around.

Espeefan: I sure like that Crossfire and wanted to purchase one when they first arrived on the market, but Mrs. said no since I had my Gold Wing motorcycle to keep me happy.

GarryCBQ: I know that rail line from La Crosse to Prairie du chien, Wisconsin very well since we used ride the Gold Wing down the River Road and watch trains at the lock and dams along the Mississippi. Beautiful county with the bluffs and river along sides of the road and rail right of way. A day trip from eastern Wisconsin to Iowa and back home was common for us especially in the fall of the year. A friend of ours would call in morning ask if wanted to go for lunch in Iowa or La Crosse and away we would go. We would ride on day trips for 300 plus miles which were easy rides in the fall when temperatures were mild.

One trip we were in Door County, a hot tourist spot that resembles New England located between the waters of Green Bay and Lake Michigan. That evening the fog rolled in and it was so heavy you couldn't see our bikes from the motel, window. The next day Cathy and I rode across Wisconsin on a bright, beautiful fall day with temperatures in the low 70's and we stopped along the Mississippi for the evening.

Willie and Sherrel: We too have .99/gallon gasoline and with a coupon from points awarded at a grocery store the price for gasoline drops to .50/gallon.

On Sunday I decided to install DCC in a Proto 2K GP38-2 thats been in storage and never out of the box since I purchased it 10 plus years ago. The directions on getting the shell off seemed straight forward about removing the couplers and then two black screws under the frame. Great except there's six black screws. Once the last two black screws were removed, the shell slipped out.

The directions also cautioned about exchanging the lamps for 12 -14 volt lamps if you converted from DC ot DCC. Well the locomotive already has 12 volt lamps that burn really bright. Today, I'll solder all the wires to the board for security and test reassemble. A light weathering job is planned for the future.

The model has nice details and ran well under DC, but there's too much grease on the gears and that will have to be removed.

I'm using a Digitrax decoder that I had in stock that out dated but will work fine.

Great prototype rail photo everyone.

Once this "Stay at Home" order been lifted I plan on purchasing a ring binder or two and sort all of my modeling information, instruction sheets and prototype photos so they are organized.

Here’s the real reason Warren Buffett is sitting on a record $128 billion in cash, according to one strategist - wish I had his money problems!

And with that....."That's all for now."

Greg

###############

Last edited:
Good morning America, how are ya? Planning on going for a drive today, the wife is going stir crazy! I did get a little done on my trains yesterday and will do some more, probably tomorrow. I cut pieces of clear plastic that I saved from some packaging and used it to make glass for 4 of my waycars. That would be cabooses to you non-CB&Q fans.;) It's hard to get a picture that shows what I've done with a camera, but it does reflect when the light hits it just right. A lot of work cutting and gluing the plastic in place, but I think it is worth it. Of course, it can't just be as simple as cutting one strip and gluing it in place, some of them on the sides are three separate strips. Four done and four more to go!

IMG_1753.JPG
index.php

IMG_1756.JPG
IMG_1753.JPGIMG_1755.JPGIMG_1756.JPG

I don't know what's going on here! Looks like I've fallen victim to the upside down pictures, too!

Good Afternoon All,

Spent about 4 hours at the workbench today split into 2 sessions. I put the footers on all the upright posts then installed the center walkway under the floor of the lower tipple. After lunch I added all the bracing on the lower tipple and touched up edges that needed it. The real hassle today was adding the Tichy (I assume) NBW's. On the positive side B.T.S. predrilled where to place them. :) Tomorrow I'm taking a break from the bracing and I'll work on the metal details since the Blacken-It chemical came in today.

Thank you for the likes on yesterdays photos.

Garry- I guess that shows that "stuff happens".

Ken- That looks nice.

Patrick- Good luck with your plan. Nice looking locos.

Louis- I've had a Colorado for 12 years (low mileage) and have been happy with it. The only thing beyond routine maintenance issues was I had to replace the fuel line because it developed a crack. I have a stripped down work truck version with the mini rear doors.

Willie- Nice scenes and buildings.

Tom- Nice looking sunset.

Bob- I think that proves the flat earth theory. My photo issues disappeared when I resized them before posting. I keep them below 1mb.

Karl- Interesting switcher. Very nice modeling on the MM locos.

20200422_145624.jpg

20200422_145046.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

FINAL SEQUENCE from today.
It seems no photos are able to be taken of the loading operation, probably from being on private property. A pity. So we finish this story with the now loaded ballast train on close approach to Logan but with #262 in the lead position.
View attachment 47096

Entering the yard once more, and the sun is out.
View attachment 47097

After parking their train, the locos have decoupled and run out to the end of the runaround track so they can resume the return journey back to where the load is required. A beautiful background.
View attachment 47098
View attachment 47099

Completing the runaround and backing up to their train,
View attachment 47100

And on the way over the Gallatin river, northwards.
View attachment 47101
Do you know who the photographer is for these great photos?

Good Afternoon. Just a quick check in this afternoon.

Spent a few hours this morning taking my winter tires off and purchasing a new set for the summer. Sure don't miss the droning of the winter tires going down the road Silence again. While I was out refilled the propane bottle also. The wife bought some steaks so the dog can have a bone to chew on.

Louis - Always enjoy your vintage photos. I do happen to still have a tube tested hidden away down in the basement.

Willie - Is the trailer park trash moving in????

Joe
- Don't really care for AmTrak, but that is a nice photo.

Ray - Excellent photos. Looks like old home week. Quite familiar with the locations of all of the photos.

Bob
- Wassup with the down side up photos. Nice herd of cabeese.

Curt
- Nice to see that you found some time to work on model railroad projects.

Paul - like that video. A coincidence, but I just happened to see the same on yesterday exploring railroad videos on YpuTube.

chadbag - Also watched a number from Japan also.

Karl -
Sure do like that 65 tonner, but I have only found it in brass which is out of my pay grade.

Time to get out of here and get on the exercise bike. Spent a bit too much time sitting around lately.

Abandoned roundhouse in Karkow, Poland
krakow-abandoned-railway-track-1024x576.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back