Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all. Well it's April 56th here in Quarintinaville. We did get out yesterday for a 40 minute ride. I hope people don't just rush out as there seems to be a loosing of some restrictions. Did see gasoline at $1.39. I had hoped to post a photo and video but I lost them somewhere in the cloud.
Hope everyone safe and well, and Apart. LATER

Gas around here (Salt Lake Valley in Utah) has fallen a little. A couple weeks ago it was all $2.2x and today I saw $1.99. Though most places are still around $2.09.

Of course, no one is driving much so cheap gas doesn't really help. I only use my wife's Costco Visa card for gasoline purchase -- nothing else -- and this past month just closed a day or two ago and we got the new email statement. The total was $39.xx. That is a month's worth of gasoline. Usually it is like $150--$200 or something like that (my car is PHEV so I mostly run on electricty and the wife's car is averaging 37mpg suburban driving anyway). I guess when you avoid 50+ miles a day for kids' school, 20-50 miles a day in round trips for swim team, 75 miles a week for music lessons (once a week down to Orem and back), it all adds up and saves you real money for staying home.

This bit with not much driving is really playing havoc with the WTI oil markets... (and all oil markets but the West Texas Intermediate and other Texas grades especially).

Last edited:
Many thanks for "likes" and supportive comments - B.Bob, Patrick, Louis, Garry, Jerome, Tom, Chad, Karl, Sherrell, Guy, Curt and anyone else I might have missed!

Yesterday I mentioned that I was about to embark on assembling and installing some Walthers Chain Link Fencing. I went out to the trainroom a short while later to open one of the kit boxes and check the contents and instructions; looks like I'm missing some of the required "sold separately" materials & tools!:rolleyes: I need a number of questions answered before I get too deep into this project, so I'm going to start a separate thread on it.

Photograph of Baltimore Transit car number 6020 on Belair Road at Pelham Avenue in Baltimore, Maryland. Car line 15 runs on these tracks. Circa 1950's.
1587604059793.png

A three unit Chessie System helper set, GP30-6929, GP35-3500 & GP30-3018, are shoving an E/B coal train through the Howard Street tunnel. Above, from L to R, is the B&O Warehouse (now part of Oriole Park at Camden Yards), the Bromo-Seltzer Clock Tower, Camden Station, the Holiday Inn with its revolving roof-top restaurant, the Baltimore Civic Center and, still under construction, what is now known as the Pandora Building. 10:35AM on 5-5-85 in Baltimore, MD.
1587604300073.png

Here's a photo of trains at rest, which is a very recent photo from through my lens, that may help to redirect some thought patterns.
View attachment 47143
Yu'all have a good night now!
I don't think I've ever seen a number board brow like that. Is there a flange sticking up above the roof at the front of the cab? I found a photo of 5386 in 2011 and it had the normal round bump on the bottom of the number board. Wreck/rebuild repair?

I don't think I've ever seen a number board brow like that. Is there a flange sticking up above the roof at the front of the cab? I found a photo of 5386 in 2011 and it had the normal round bump on the bottom of the number board. Wreck/rebuild repair?
Sadly, if you are asking me, you are asking a fella who has only been interested in the train business for the past four months. I don't know the answers to you're difficult questions any more than a potato does. - I did see that the number boards were weird, but, I have no idea if that is significant.
Perhaps this profile photo will help you, where I cannot:
SD40-2_04-20-2020.jpg

Howdy

B Bob .... I had to stand on my head to look at your pictures.

GarryCBQ: I know that rail line from La Crosse to Prairie du chien, Wisconsin very well since we used ride the Gold Wing down the River Road and watch trains at the lock and dams along the Mississippi. Beautiful county with the bluffs and river along sides of the road and rail right of way. A day trip from eastern Wisconsin to Iowa and back home was common for us especially in the fall of the year. A friend of ours would call in morning ask if wanted to go for lunch in Iowa or La Crosse and away we would go. We would ride on day trips for 300 plus miles which were easy rides in the fall when temperatures were mild.

One trip we were in Door County, a hot tourist spot that resembles New England located between the waters of Green Bay and Lake Michigan. That evening the fog rolled in and it was so heavy you couldn't see our bikes from the motel, window. The next day Cathy and I rode across Wisconsin on a bright, beautiful fall day with temperatures in the low 70's and we stopped along the Mississippi for the evening.

Greg

###############

Greg .... I grew up in Chicago area, and I spent much of my summer time in Wisconsin. The Dairy State is beautiful. The Burlington tracks along the Mississippi River were very scenic. The original two dome cars were made in CB&Q's car shops in Aurora, IL from Budd coaches. I recall riding in one of them on one of my trips on the Twin City Zephyr. I also recall a trip on the TCZ with an E5 locomotive pulling the train.

Below are photos along the Burlington tracks next to the Mississippi River in north west Illinois and southwest Wisconsin. One is the North Coast Limited. The other is a freight train with F-units owned by CB&Q and NP.

36631286302_fb4f0b60a8_z.jpg

36816866225_b694a4f98f_n.jpg

Sadly, if you are asking me, you are asking a fella who has only been interested in the train business for the past four months. I don't know the answers to you're difficult questions any more than a potato does. - I did see that the number boards were weird, but, I have no idea if that is significant.
Perhaps this profile photo will help you, where I cannot:
View attachment 47152
Being CN, and EMD having a plant at London, Ontario, I wonder if that is where it was built. The extension of the cab's roof onto the long hood is unusual too. This pic of the other side shows the same treatment. The front number board panel is definitely above the roofline.
1587628743043.png

Oh! and that is not a splotch on the side where someone has thrown a can of paint at it.

Good morning Everybody!

No sooner than I go to bed and then out come all the cool pictures!

As soon as my old body loosens up I'll be playing with my EM-1 I can't wait to see the red glowing fire box again!

I worked and cut the grass yesterday, front and back. It might be a while before I get moving.

I think somebody asked how big my EM-1 is. 32.5", sorry I took so long to answer.

Have a great day Everybody!

1587633821364.png

Good morning...Between the wind and 40 degree temps I had to bundle up to mow grass as if I was going shovel snow. Spent most of the day prepping the last 4 grain cars for paint and 2 of the 4 are done. After that the weathering them all after a test run at the club.

I found out where that ballast train was heading for. There was a heads up on another facebook MRL page, "MRL's Western End-Sandpoint, ID to Missoula, MT" about 14 hrs ago. "Heads up, Westbound ballast train with 346 leading and 262 in consist is departing Missoula shortly headed for Woodlin siding (East of Thompson Falls)".

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear skies and 58° with a new moon overnight. The severe thunderstorms in yesterdays forecast went from 85% chance at 10:00 am, to 20% chance at 2:00 pm, to "I wonder where they went?" I did get a few sprinkles early in the day, but it wasn't even enough to register in the rain gauge. It barely got my weather rock wet. It eventually got up to 87° here yesterday and we're looking at upper-70's to mid-80's for the next ten days.
Looks like I will be irrigating the garden this morning after I pick some green leafy stuff. I did get all of my tomato cages installed yesterday. I spent part of the morning yesterday rebuilding the shelving above the newly installed tankless water heater. Since I had used some existing electrical wiring, I had to mount it higher on the wall than I wanted and had to move the bottom shelf up by 2".

I'll take a stack of blueberry pancakes and a stack of sausage patties this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the layout tour; Jerome, Joe, Patrick, Karl, Sherrel, Guy, Louis, James, Chad, Garry, Bob, Mikey, Curt, Paul, Chet, Hughie, Tom, Ricky, Ken.

The train shed is surviving the self-quarantine situation rather well. No Covid-19 cases yet recorded out there. Here's a shot of the base of the U at the end of the aisle. Please ignore the invisible backdrop.
04-23-20 003.001.JPG

The cannery in the center is a Walther's kit, the large storage tank is from Rix. My long range plan is to make a corrugated metal pickling plant from Pikestuff walls, and place it behind that Railbox boxcar.
The bicycle repair shop posted yesterday is on the right. Next to it is the Clipper Mill Plumbing Supply, an older LifeLike kit.
04-23-20 001.JPG

04-23-20 002.JPG

Headed south layout-wise, we next come to McSoreley's Old Ale House. Pictures are all staged elsewhere for this tour.
04-22-20 012.JPG

04-22-20 013.JPG

I spent a couple of days detailing an interior scene for this establishment, sadly it cannot be seen especially since it is on the lower level.
04-22-20 011.JPG

Sorry for the blurry picture. I'll try to get a better one.
Out back, Patches the cat lounges on top of an old barrel.
04-22-20 014.JPG

On the roof, McSoreley's daughter and a friend are taking in some sun.
04-22-20 015.JPG

Here is how it fits in with the area that I just completed recently. That's the tannery along the backdrop and Dolly's Confectionery across the tracks. The unfinished scrapyard is across the road.
04-22-20 017.JPG

Joe -
I did spend some time down in the train room yesterday, primarily looking for stuff lost in plain sight.
I know the feeling. I looked for a package of forklifts for almost thirty minutes yesterday. Just bought them in January and haven't found them yet.
Bob - I see that you are posting pictures for Ray down under!;)
Hughie - That's surprising that gas is $1.39/gal in the Houston area, amongst all of those refineries. Our supply comes through a pipeline from Midland. $0.99/gal isn't everywhere around here, some name brand stations, especially Shell are quite a bit more.

Across the pond, today is St. George's Day, a national holiday in England. I don't know whether or not it is celebrated in the rest of the Commonwealth. Guy, Ray?

Everybody here in the colony have a great day.

Across the pond, today is St. George's Day, a national holiday in England. I don't know whether or not it is celebrated in the rest of the Commonwealth.
You made me look. It is on the calendar, but never would have known if you hadn't told me. 'course we do raise a cup to King George 3 on his birthday. If it hadn't been for him, who could tell what we'd do without our "cuppa". Mightn't have been enough to go around.

You made me look. It is on the calendar, but never would have known if you hadn't told me. 'course we do raise a cup to King George 3 on his birthday. If it hadn't been for him, who could tell what we'd do without our "cuppa". Mightn't have been enough to go around.

There is a great program on the Smithsonian channel (I think), it's called, George III: The Genius of the Mad King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back