Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.....Well the mailman should be delivering the Loksound programer today. I have a few engines waiting to get setup run and then head for weathering. In the meantime I'll have coffee and wait.

Good morning.....Well the mailman should be delivering the Loksound programer today. I have a few engines waiting to get setup run and then head for weathering. In the meantime I'll have coffee and wait.
Tom, if you get stuck, I'll see if I can talk you through it.

Tom, if you get stuck, I'll see if I can talk you through it.
Thanks, I have to download the software to my laptop. My friend has JMRI and I got this so between the to we can just about any engine.
One of the Tier 4 Gevo's I got with the V5 chip is missing the the middle step in the speed curve, something that was overlooked when they first came out. It won't run with the other one I have.JMRI hasn't updated to the V5 loksound so this will help. We get together (club members) before a show to program engines that anyone needs and the run them on the layout.

Good Morning Everyone. 36° and clear. Should reach the mid-60's later today, just like yesterday. It will be a bit more windy today than yesterday, although any at all will be more than yesterday. The average over the last 36 hours was just 1.5 mph! Quite unusual. Doctor visit yesterday went well for both my wife and me. Everything is normal, or within range and we'll both live to make the next visit in February. He's happy that I lost ten pounds and I am not on any "real" diet. I have almost eliminated potatoes and halved my bread consumption in the last three months.

How about some sausage patties and two scrambled eggs this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the latest upgrades; Patrick, Johnny, Jerome, Chet, Chad, Phil, Curt, Tom, Ken, Joe, Clint, David. Always appreciated.

I took a slightly different direction in the train shed yesterday. Easily done since I have many unfinished projects or unstarted areas present. Since I had my case of painted figures out while working on the structure rehab, I decided to start populating the industrial district that I built and posted about last summer. I started with City Wide Beverage Company.
11-16-19 003.JPG

I added workers on the roof fixing the cooling equipment.
11-16-19 001.JPG

Another is seen leaving the cold confines in the lower right.
Then we have another heading up to check on the workers already on the roof.
11-16-19 002.JPG

Patrick - While I realized that that post was all inside computer stuff, I do not game on the computer...just no time or interest. Pong was about the most modern game that I played! o_O Trains, music and gardening are my addictions.
Chet -
It's easier to get meat in the grocery store.
Ain't that the truth.
I really like the over all photo showing the majority of that town. I can see a lot of opportunity for detailing there.
Yes to that. My first priority in building this layout was to get trains running, so I got the benchwork plus all 320' of mainline and over 1000' of sidings, yards and spurs built before I got much scenery in. Lots of structures from the old layout were set into probable locations without regard to dusting (which I should have done) or finishing up the details. Likewise many structures built after the train shed was completed were just set in place. This was the plan, now I am going back and re-habbing or completely developing areas.
I like your night scenes but like you I don't run trains in the dark.
James - Hope that you survived the heat wave. We're looking at lower 70's by Monday. I ruled out carpeting for the same reason as Mikey.
Garry
- I hate it when life gets in the way of modeling.
Greg - I like that idea of adding ground foam to the fascia. I could only do it on the upper level since I tend to rub along the bottom fascia. You have mentioned a few times regarding a spreadsheet for your locos. I have one for them and another for all 800 freight cars, but what I need is one to keep track of detail parts and primarily Where did I store that? I spent nearly an hour looking for that Walther's ladder kit that I needed yesterday. Found it only 6' from the workbench after searching many of the boxes and shelves under the layout!:mad:
Alan - Well done. I like kits as well.
David -
Glad to know Monica was revived, did Bill have anything to do with that ??
I cannot answer that any more with the heightened scrutiny on what we post lately. Think of the scene in the Airplane movie.

Right now I have a couple of flies in the train shed that only bother me when I am at the workbench. They fly about and land but not long enough for me to swat them, except for when I am holding two parts together while gluing! It's maddening!:mad:

Where's Louis? Did he overdo it physically again, or did he post one too many political posts? I pray that he is OK.

Today is National Fast Food Day. I attribute my reasonably good health to avoiding most fast foods. I am probably the only American that has never eaten at a McDonald's in my whole life, and I am proud of it!
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Good morning. 30 with clear skies to start off the day with an expected high in the low 50's.

We kicked butt last night bowling. It's nice when all four of us can get our poop in a group. Took four games and now sit on the top of the heap with a tram high score of 1012.

Willie
- Like your beverage distributor. Nicely done.

James
- Seems like you're ready to pull the trigger on your layout. Waiting to see your photos. I would go with a laminate floor. I like vinyl plank because it is waterproof, but I doubt (or hope)_ that you won't have water running on the floor. I have laminate flooring in the room where I have my work bench and if something is dropped on the floor, it is quite easy to find.

Greg - Running for three hours shows the quality of your track work. Sweet. Like the photo.

Patrick
- Ray gave a very good description of MRL. My model railroad club is in the basement of the old Northern Pacific Depot in Livingston, MT which is the home of MRL's shops. They were originally the northern Pacific shops which became the Burlington Northern shops and then BNSF shops. There's almost always something to see when I go to the club, even at night but hard to photograph anything in the dark. I have to drive over Bozeman Pass to get to the club which is a 50 mile trip one way for me. Unfortunately, I now dislike driving at night and dislike going over the pass with winter road conditions.

Alan
- Good luck on the build. Looks like quite an interesting project.

David - Nice to see you back posting. Was wondering what had happened to you.

Tom - Enjoy your programmer. Could be a lot of fun.

Again I will have to go the the Logan Valley archives for a photo. I am hoping to have some time to get down to the train room later today. Here's some freight being loaded onto a truck at the scratch builf freight station that I built probably over 25 years ago.

20181113_081309.jpg

The weather is good and the highways are clear and I was thinking of going over to the club tonight, but we don't get home until after 10 in the evening and with out little four legged alarm clock getting us up at 0430, I am tired. No club tonight.

Later

Good morning all. A great day shaping up here in Houston. 60 degrees and a bright sun.
Well the turkey hunt is over, Shermanhill yours are safe, for this year. Thanks for the offer though.
My son sent me the attached photo of Big Boy 4014 leaving Houston. There is an "iconic" bridge that has the words "Be Someone" painted on it. Every now and then someone will paint over it or add graffiti but it gets Be Someone painted back again. This bridge has been on the news a few times. So, anyway someone snapped a picture of 4014 crossing this iconic bridge. Later
Big Boy -7 Bonus Pic.jpg

Afternoon All,

Finally finished up painting at daughter's house. Afterwards MOH decided that we needed to stop at several grocery stores. I stayed in the car while she shopped. Now I'm watching the Navy game, but they're playing like crap.

Terry- Yes, it should be that!

Greg- Nice layout shot.

Espee- Looks like a great kit to build. Have a great time.

Willie- Nice looking buildings. Are those construction workers on the roof? I ask because they're goofing off.

Chet- Nice looking depot.

Tex- Nice looking 4014 photo. I was wondering what the wording was on the bridge.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I am probably the only American that has never eaten at a McDonald's in my whole life,
Willie: Believe me, you haven't missed anything. Mickey D's is useful, predictable, edible, but tasteless and unimaginable food. There are worse, but...

Now I'm watching the Navy game, but they're playing like crap.
Curt:
38 - 3 with 11:11 in the 3rd, is a bit one sided. Sorry! Army walked over VMI 47 - 6, today, in another lopsided contest.

BS 6 7862 at Little Creek VA.jpg

AnotherPennsy Baldwin at Little Creek,VA, in the 60s

Boris

Alan- I was very impressed with your first two photos when I thought you had completed the the kit. Wonderful buildings!
Then I saw photos 3 & 4 of the components. I suddenly realized I am further along with my little Model Power plastic kit of a market than you are.
( I have painted the walls.) However, by the time you are finished, I am sure you could paint me GREEN with envy! Looking forward to some build pictures.

My wife has been visiting her mother out of town, so I have to clean up before tomorrow. Here are some of the flat car loads I have been building and repairing.

Attachments

• 2b loads.JPG
    2b loads.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 111
HEY ! Will someone please CLOSE the door. The MAIN door. Don't care about the screen door; no skeeters around with the temps into the 40's
Wish all a warm dry night and pleasant dreams
Prayers for all,
Phil

Good morning....Well the loksound programmer came yesterday, got everything programmed and updated one chip. Now I just have to learn more on adjusting some of the sound volumes (bell for example) and figure out the advance consisting.

Good morning....Well the loksound programmer came yesterday, got everything programmed and updated one chip. Now I just have to learn more on adjusting some of the sound volumes (bell for example) and figure out the advance consisting.
Tom, one of the things to do is set cv54 to 0. Put the engine on the track, then push function 1. The engine will take off at full speed, then slow to a stop with the bell ringing. It will then have really god slow speed control.

With the programmer on the first page of the wizard, you can check the functions you want to be active in consist. F8 (engine) F4 (dynamic brake) and F9 (drive hold) should all be active in consist.

Good Morning All. 39° and clear, expecting upper 60's for a couple of days, 70's by Tuesday. Mostly spent the day in the garden yesterday, removing the tomato cages and cleaning up that brush. Added a foot of leaves to the compost pile and topped that with wood ashes. Cut and stacked some more firewood that I might not use until next fall; it's the last of what I cut during the summer and is mostly seasoned right now. Only minor aches this morning.
Sunday it is Flo. How about some of that thick applewood bacon alongside a couple of those sunny side-up brown eggs today. Yeah! Add an apple fritter to follow up.
Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the rooftop scene yesterday; Phil, Tom, Chet, Rick, Hughie, Curt, Jerome, Clint.

Meanwhile out in the train shed, Santa arrived in Maultown for an early visit.
11-17-19 003.JPG

I didn't have a lot of time out there yesterday and I chose to run trains. I reviewed some additional figures that want citizenship on the layout and I will update soon.

Chet - That bowling comment is good proof that the shoulder replacement surgery worked as promised. Keep it up.
Willie - Like your beverage distributor. Nicely done.
Thanks.
Slowly but surely, step by step, inch by inch...I am seeing significant progress.
Curt - They are maintenance workers on the roof. They are waiting for the guy at the bottom of the ladder before proceeding as required by the new OSHA mandated "Lock-out, Tag-out" program. Good program by the way.
Alan - Whoops! I also thought that the first two photos were your finished product!
Mikey - Looking forward to the loads coming together with the flatcars.

I bought a couple of gallons of vinegar last week at Sam's Club and finally noticed the "use by" date on the carton.
11-17-19 001.001.JPG

That sure looks like 04/30/2201. 182 years! Quite a shelf life! Upon looking much more closely, that's a "D", thus 22D1. That's still 2.5 years.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning Everyone....overcast and some moisture to fall later today.

Well drove up to the cabin yesterday and Cathy when to open the rear sliding glass door to enter the cabin and there was a bullet hole in the glass of the sliding deck door. When I looked I found the original bullet hole in the glass panel, one in the frame next to it and one hole in the upper door.
frame. We called the County Sheriff and with the Deputy we found another hole through the exterior of the cabin wall and the bullet travel exactly where I would normally sit at the dining table and the last bullet in the wood overhang above the door. The direction of the bullets' travel made it obvious that the shots were fired from our woods or the neighbors.

The Deputy visited the neighbors who admitted firing a new rifle in their yard. At first the husband said he fired the shots and then said the wife did the firing. They said they would pay for the damages but if we or the DA decides to press charges, it is likely a felony charge. In Wisconsin it means that if found guilty, as a Felon they no longer could process, own or have a firearm in their home along with a fine and/or jail time.

Like or no not, we have no choice but to press charges to be sure that they make restitution that will amount to thousands of dollars for the door alone. We found someone to do the door board up, but they will not be there until some time this week. The glass is tempered and other than a million cracks and the hole the size of a quarter, the glass remained intact.

Anyway, my last newly weathered locomotives and rolling stock arrived yesterday. After the Forum I'll head down to the layout and forgot about Saturday's adventure.

Thanks everyone about your nice comments about the layout photo. I like everyone else's photo that were submitted the last few days.

Not sure what I'll do today in the layout room. Other than remove some rolling stock for the layout and put the cars in storage boxes.

That's all for now..."Keep your head down low when near my cabin."

Greg

###################

Good morning. Starting the day off at 31 degrees with an expected high in the high 40's. Phil, have you herd of FIRE ??? You may need to start one in your back yard.

Flo and Francine made a suprise visit to the Gateway Cafe this morning. Sausage, 2 eggs scrambled, home fries and rye toast please.

thumbnail_20191116_182928.jpg

Sure quiet here.

Joe - Nice shot of the Pennsy Baldwin. You must be attached to them like I am to Alcos.

Tex - Like that photo of 4014.

Willie - I was also wondering why there is a cop with Santa.

Mikey - Those are some good flat car loads. I have a few flats without loads if you get bored. Grin.gif

Greg - You would think that your neighbors would have more sense than to fire in the direction of a dwelling.

Curt - If for some strange reason that I am with the wife in town while she is shopping, I also stay in the car. I am not a shopper at all. If I do need something from town, I keep a list and when I have enough items, I'll head to town and make any stops on the south side on the way in and any on the north side on the way out, done quite quickly.

Last race of she season for NASCAR today. Now I may have a bit more time to spend in the train room. I did get to spend some time in the train room yesterday and did some switching. Enjoy it a lot. Will have to get there more often.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back