Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe - Nice shot of the Pennsy Baldwin. You must be attached to them like I am to Alcos.

Chet: I am attatched to Baldwins. My grandfather worked at Baldwin, retireing after 30+ years of service at Eddystone, and Baldwins were the dominant diesel on the Chesapeake Region through mid Penn Central, so I had a lot of throttle time with them.

Alcos switchers, and RS3s and RS11s were also common, and my HO roster reflects that also. Both Alcos and Baldwins were able to handle heavy trains.

Good afternoon all. A beautiful day here in Houston, 65 and partly sunny.
Thanks for the likes on the Big Boy leaving Houston photo. Getting to see it up close and personal was great especially since I got to share the experience with my son.
Santa dropped by early, without the armed guard, and left a GG-1. While it would not be prototypical for the Boston and Maine, it is one of my favorite locomotives. So the Deerfield and Apple Ridge has a Pennsylvania passenger train occasionally using their trackage. I must say it runs very quiet, pulls. I am in the process of running it in, so I'll let you know more at a later date.
Early Christmas.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone....overcast and some moisture to fall later today.

Well drove up to the cabin yesterday and Cathy when to open the rear sliding glass door to enter the cabin and there was a bullet hole in the glass of the sliding deck door. When I looked I found the original bullet hole in the glass panel, one in the frame next to it and one hole in the upper door.
frame. We called the County Sheriff and with the Deputy we found another hole through the exterior of the cabin wall and the bullet travel exactly where I would normally sit at the dining table and the last bullet in the wood overhang above the door. The direction of the bullets' travel made it obvious that the shots were fired from our woods or the neighbors.

The Deputy visited the neighbors who admitted firing a new rifle in their yard. At first the husband said he fired the shots and then said the wife did the firing. They said they would pay for the damages but if we or the DA decides to press charges, it is likely a felony charge. In Wisconsin it means that if found guilty, as a Felon they no longer could process, own or have a firearm in their home along with a fine and/or jail time.

Like or no not, we have no choice but to press charges to be sure that they make restitution that will amount to thousands of dollars for the door alone. We found someone to do the door board up, but they will not be there until some time this week. The glass is tempered and other than a million cracks and the hole the size of a quarter, the glass remained intact.

Anyway, my last newly weathered locomotives and rolling stock arrived yesterday. After the Forum I'll head down to the layout and forgot about Saturday's adventure.

Thanks everyone about your nice comments about the layout photo. I like everyone else's photo that were submitted the last few days.

Not sure what I'll do today in the layout room. Other than remove some rolling stock for the layout and put the cars in storage boxes.

That's all for now..."Keep your head down low when near my cabin."

Greg

###################
Persons that fire guns as uncaring and unsafely as this, should not be allowed to have them.

On a foggy morning, 10/13/19, at MRL's western end (doesn't exactly say where, but it's running by some water) SD70ACe #4406, which identifies it as Mexican built, and SD45 # 346, head the morning Gas local. An interesting observation on 346, is that it carried the -2XR after the 45 up till the repaint with the new Logo scheme on the front end of the sill (can't see it here) but was changed back to just SD45, then.
1574048765279.png

1574048443901.png

1574048570064.png

Hey Everybody!

All is well here in cool southeast Baltimore.

I just stopped by to let you know I have not been banned or suspended, at least at far as I know.

As far as I knew the rules were to keep all the posts respectful and civil. I doubt I have ever broken that rule.

I'm not interested in an arbitrary enforcement of the rules Bob stated so I have decided to take Bob up on his advice and take my posts elsewhere.

I doubt I will be signing into the forum anytime soon so if you are interested in contacting me you can email me at lbruette@hotmail.com or contact me Louis Bruette on facebook.

Have a great day Everybody

God Bless You All!

Morning all,

Nice railroad weekend. Saturday I spent 8 hours going to see 4014. That is a massive locomotive, and I think even more that we lost something when we moved away from steam.

I've posted a front view in my "A Tease" thread. I've got to go through and do some cropping to get some of the better pictures posted.

I also got some railroad time yesterday afternoon.
20191117_162009.jpg

The cork underlay for the rail yard is set. Should be dry as I'm posting this. I have 6" between the first rail and the edge and I'm thinking of adding a 5th rain in that area. I have the material to do it with. The rail Thomas and the silver Amtrak car are sitting on is the current 6th rail in the yard.

Toot: Thanks for the info. It's nice to be able to get to some information when the grandson asks.

Willie: I don't spend as much time on games as I used to either.

I have this on a board above my trains:

20191117_161937.jpg

The original was part of the layout I bought in 2012. It was so smoke stained, I made a copy and tossed the original. Turns out they're still in business.

Last edited:
I grew up in Pepperell MA, just south of Nashua NH, and later spent 5 years in Merrimack. So, more in the "civilization" part and less in the nice, outdoorsy part, though where I lived in Merrimack was nice, on the edge of Bedford and Milford, and in the middle of no where.

Where do you live now, chad? If you're anywhere in the NH area, maybe we can all get together, Clint, you, and me next time I get up that way.

Good Morning All. Clear and 40° in this part of the world. Forecast is for a a few days in the 70's before a minor cool front Friday. Another beautiful day yesterday that I spent in the yard/garden. My daughter and two grandsons came by for a few hours and dropped off the granddog for a 16 day sleepover in the country while they deal with their Thanksgiving trip to South Jersey. Left the leash home accidentally, but we don't usually have a need for it out here.

Waffles and bacon this morning Flo. A little extra bacon for my granddog.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding Santa and his helper yesterday; Tom, Phil, Beady, Mikey, Jerome, Patrick.

Just a little bit of time in the train shed yesterday. I resumed my cleaning and upgrading of structures. The next three along the block were all assembled after the train shed was built and not moved from the old train room. They require a lot less work.
Buck's Book Shop is a Smalltown kit that I did not rename, the unoccupied structure in the center is a DPM kit that used to have a different name that I don't remember, and the kit on the right is Walther's Flowers by Terry, another kit that I don't remember the original name of.
11-18-19 001.JPG
What I am mainly after here is to add space between them, occupy the center structure and add figures and details.
11-18-19 004.JPG

I have to quit taking pictures on the workbench in front of the window as they look really bad here.
More to come as soon as I re-take some of them.

Greg - Bad situation there, but only you know the best course of action to take.
Mikey -
Think she would give me a little kiss on the cheek?
It would be a very little one.

Gotta go now, I'll be back shortly.
Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back