Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 31 and clear here.

Clint, Flip, Patrick, Chad, Lee, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes, comments, and replies.

Nice weekend just passed. But, since Saturday was so nice, MOH wanted to do some Christmas shopping in the morning. Then we did yard work in the afternoon before finally getting some down time. Did some work on the BaitAndTackle shop, bust stopped because I need to get the interior window scene done.

BaitAndTackle5.jpg

Got one or two possible interior scenes, and have to right-size them. Still looking for exterior wall advertisements.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning. 38 degrees with clear skies. Hope Phil isn't frozen as hard as a carp down in the sunshine state.

Louis - I was starting to worry about you. Haven't seen you post for a while. Hope you're not leaving the forum.

Johnny - The bait shop is coming along nicely.

Joe - Now I can understand your feelings towards Baldwins.

Tex - Like that GG-1. You probably aren't aware that O am a big fan of electric locomotives. When I was a kid I had the opportunity to have spent countless hours with my relatives who were engineers on the Milwaukee Road. The part of Montana I live in was in the Mountain Division of the Milwaukee Road electrified line.

Patrick - That yard is starting to come together.

Beady - Like that photo, but thought that cabooses were supposed to be ion the end of the train. Grin.gif

Willie - Another great group of buildings I'm jealous because I have no more room for any structures.

I did not go to the club Saturday unfortunately. By the time we got home from bowling Friday night, we didn't hit the sack until well after 10. With out little four legged alarm clock we are usually up shortly after 4 AM. Saturday evening I was fast asleep in my recliner at 8 PM. I did run trains though and enjoyed the time spent switching. Here are a couple more photos of the freight station. The 45 ton switcher is now assigned to th town and sets out any outbound cars for the local freight and delivers and dropped off.

thumbnail_20191116_144903.jpg

thumbnail_20191116_143744.jpg

Later

................................ Chet

Last edited:
Not only suggest using plywood, but don’t skimp on it. Get a decent grade and I like 3/4 inch so it won’t sag or bend when you climb on it. It’s the foundation of your railroad and nearly impossible to upgrade later. Not the place to go cheap.
I second that! A good foundation will go a long ways and you will never regret doing it right the 1st time! :)

Good afternoon all. Great day in Houston, really need to be outside in this weather.

Thanks to all for the likes on the new GG-1. So far it seems to be pretty darn good.

Montanan - I grew up in NYC, my first full time job was down near the Staten Island ferry. To get to work I rode the El which turned into a subway before entering tunnel to Manhattan. As the el came down it went through a large yard and many GG-1's were kept there. There is just something about the look of locomotive that appeals to me. There was a LIRR freight yard, mostly transfer yard, not far from the house. One day while playing in the yard an engineer invited me and my friend to see inside the cab. As I remember it was a SW-900 or 1500. He let each of us move the locomotive a few feet. We thought we were hot stuff, I mean telling everyone we drove a train. Our parents were not pleased.

Willie - Like Montanan I just don't have any more room for buildings. I may replace a few though.

As the el came down it went through a large yard and many GG-1's were kept there. There is just something about the look of locomotive that appeals to me.

Tex: That had to be Sunnyside. The Subway (El), was the means we used to get back and forth to Penn Station. Unfortunately,I forget the train #.

Boris

Tex - I had very little first hand experience with the east coast electric locomotives. I loved the looks of the GG-1 but there were so many different ones run by many different railroads in the east. Having ridden in the Milwaukee Road box cabs and Little Joes, I really got to appreciate how powerful they were and loved that hum they had when they were running. I actually had more first hand experience with electric locomotives in Europe when I was in the service. Any time I had a change to ride on a train over there, I did.

Good Afternoon Everyone....again overcast.

Spent most of the morning dealing the bullet damage to the cabin talking with insurance carriers and the guy who did the shooting (originally it was the wife.) Then add in the visits by the RN and the blood draw lady most of my day is spoken for before any model railroading happens. Still waiting for a call from the County DA.

Hopefully, I'll get downstairs to the train room later, but tomorrow the carpet cleaners are coming and basically cleaning carpets through out the house. The Mrs. moved out most of the furniture for the carpet cleaners. Its amazing the minor wear and tear a house has after over 40 years of living it. Mostly minor nicks in woodwork that goes unseen until you start looking for the problems once most furniture has been moved. Guess before the Holidays, I'll be on my hands and knees and work my way around the house touching up the minor nics and scratches in the wood. I have a great touch up stain that covers up most damages to woodwork.

Now that I have two Bachmann 70 Tonners, I plan on speed matching the two to be able to consist them and that way have more power to pull and push strings of cars. The "cheap" limited function decoders in the Bachmanns may not allow me to do a consist with CV's but have to change the motor lead wiring in one locomotive so forward now becomes reverse to do consisting and give both locomotives the same address.

Now much else to chat about......

Later Modelers.

Greg

###################################

Bachmann 70 Tonner - Lettered.jpg
These Bachmann 70 Tonners are nice looking locomotives, but they run with a lot of drive train noise and their decoders have limited functions. Funny without the shell on the frame the locomotives run very smooth and quiet. I added the numbers and the CM&N to the cab for my railroad. I just couldn't pass up on purchasing a $59 locomotive that has a DCC decoder.-Greg

Afternoon All,

Did some chores today, then got daughter from work since she was feeling bad, took her to Centra Care, then to drug store, then home. She has a bad sinus infection. Chores continue tomorrow for Thanksgiving. I'm feeling a little better today.

I wonder what the heck happened with Louis?

Chet- Nice layout scenes.

Toot- Nice MRL shots.

Joe- Nice looking Pennsy Baldwin loco.

Mikey- Those loads look good.

Willie- Interesting scene. Another couple of weeks and it will be seasonally correct.

Tex- Really nice present.

Greg- Sorry to hear about your neighbors. That could of ended tragically. Nice looking 70 tonner.

Beady- Neat photo.

Patrick- It looks like you're making good progress.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Louis - I was starting to worry about you. Haven't seen you post for a while. Hope you're not leaving the forum.
Sorry about Louis leaving. I'm not sure what he's referring to by "arbitrary rule enforcement."
I wonder what the heck happened with Louis?

I have had a conversation with Louis. It appears that at least two or maybe three of his posts were deleted about the time Bob gave the recent ultimatum. So he chose to leave us. Let's see how long that lasts when he gets his first Lionel commemorative boxcar this season. I did not see the posts involved, or at least they didn't make any impression on me; and I do admit that I respond to some of them. Not no more!

Toot: Thanks for the info. It's nice to be able to get to some information when the grandson asks.
There was a couple of other bits of info. MRL came into being in 1986, but I believe operations didn't start till '87. A lot of 'second hand' units made up the roster from other railroads, patched, and using their numbers. According to the first article on MRL that I read in Trains magazine, the mainline lease expires in 2047. It's just over 900 miles long. A couple of years ago BNSF rated MRL the best Regional RR'd in America for service. About the same time, another RR'd was also operated, the I&MRL (IMRL reporting mark), the I standing for Illinois, I believe. Got sold to, or became the Illinois Central (CI) Some, at least of the locos went to the SRY.
Good Afternoon Everyone....again overcast.

Spent most of the morning dealing the bullet damage to the cabin talking with insurance carriers and the guy who did the shooting (originally it was the wife.) Then add in the visits by the RN and the blood draw lady most of my day is spoken for before any model railroading happens. Still waiting for a call from the County DA.

Hopefully, I'll get downstairs to the train room later, but tomorrow the carpet cleaners are coming and basically cleaning carpets through out the house. The Mrs. moved out most of the furniture for the carpet cleaners. Its amazing the minor wear and tear a house has after over 40 years of living it. Mostly minor nicks in woodwork that goes unseen until you start looking for the problems once most furniture has been moved. Guess before the Holidays, I'll be on my hands and knees and work my way around the house touching up the minor nics and scratches in the wood. I have a great touch up stain that covers up most damages to woodwork.

Now that I have two Bachmann 70 Tonners, I plan on speed matching the two to be able to consist them and that way have more power to pull and push strings of cars. The "cheap" limited function decoders in the Bachmanns may not allow me to do a consist with CV's but have to change the motor lead wiring in one locomotive so forward now becomes reverse to do consisting and give both locomotives the same address.

Now much else to chat about......

Later Modelers.

Greg

###################################

View attachment 41621
These Bachmann 70 Tonners are nice looking locomotives, but they run with a lot of drive train noise and their decoders have limited functions. Funny without the shell on the frame the locomotives run very smooth and quiet. I added the numbers and the CM&N to the cab for my railroad. I just couldn't pass up on purchasing a $59 locomotive that has a DCC decoder.-Greg
If you can pick up another shell, and do a kit bash on one of them, you could create a cabless calf, which are always used in tandem. If the DCC decoder doesn't allow consisting of any kind, then just give both the same address, Seeing you have numbered it with 3, that is the default short address that all decoders have from the factory. You can give them an extended address of 003, if it allows for extended, in order to differentiate it.

Last edited:
When you son says to your HomePod

"Hey Siri, play Take it Easy" and you get this:

(Take it easy, altes Haus -- by Truck Stop)

As a Deutschsprecher myself, I found this an awesome reply. German country music. A lot better than the Eagles anyway :)

Howdy

We're still extremely busy, and I will probably not have much time to contribute for the rest of the month.

My wife's elderly Mom has been in the nursing home in Nashville all year. Family members are taking care of her affairs in the meantime, and it is a lot of work for all. Meanwhile, other obligations keep us very busy too.

Saturday a couple of days ago, we made an emergency trip tp Nashville. Shelley's Mom had multiple strokes and was in the ER. We spent the afternoon and evening at the hospital with her. We went to Shelley's sister's house for the night. Next, her husband (our broth in law) was very sick. He went to ER also. He has a serious infection which is dangerous because he recently had open heart surgery to replace two heart valves. ... Each one is now in a different hospital. .... Shelley's Mom is being treated with blood thinner, feeding tube, etc.. Looks like she will survive. .... Brother-in-law is still undergoing tests. He might need more surgery to replace the same heart valves again .......

I hope each of you is doing well. I may not be able to contribute for a long time. I hope you understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back