Rivarossi & IHC passenger cars

lmackattack

old school
Are these the same but in diffrent packaging? they look simmilar

Also are there truck replacements for the Rivarossi? The 4 cars set i just got have those soft plastic trucks, the metal wheels sit in them very sloppy. is it a better idea to add body mount couplers to these?

I tried adding body mount couplers to passenger cars & that was a bad idea. If you have any short curves they will derail. Passeger car wheels are usually larger than freight cars & if you try to use those(freight wheels) they are too narrow for the Talgo Frames. You need to buy wheel sets for passenger cars.
Someone on here may have a diff. idea than me, but thats what I have encountered over the years.
IHC is different from Rivarrosi like day & nite. IHC is the cheap brand & Rivarrosi is the expensive brand.
Larry

The only thing to watch out for the trucks to wear out. Rivarrosi uses a cheap plastic and if you run them too long, the wheels will fall right through. There might be a replacement truck but I prefer Rivarrosi.

IHC offers rather good and inexpensive metal trucks for those who wish to upgrade their passenger cars. I would expect that they'd work on almost any manufacturer's passenger cars with a bit of adjustment.

Josh,
I wonder if they would work on my CSX articulated Auto rack? I've tried everything else.

larry

thanks for the tips guys.

The cars run ok for now but the trucks look very cheap and I have already had one car derail 3 times from the wheels binding up thru a switch. I fixed it but not 100% sure if its caused from the couplers or just the soft plastic trucks?

At one time IHC offered replacement trucks that were of very high quality, solid metal and sprung. However their price left a lot to be desired. When I was working with a Vendor that did a lot of GATS shows, even discounted they were $20.00 a pair.

Using a truck tuner and replacing the wheels with a non-metal axle like the KD or Proto 36" wheelsets, do a lot to improve their tracking ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these the same but in diffrent packaging? they look simmilar

Yes, no, maybe.

Rivarossi made in Italy was imported by a company called AHM in the 1960s and 70s. AHM went out of business. The same guy came back to life as IHC at some point, and I'd say between 1980 and 1995, Rivarossi stuff showed up in IHC boxes, plain red Rivarossi boxes, and even ConCor label. At some point in the early 90s, there was a huge run of Rivarossi cars in the red IHC boxes. Basically from the Rivarossi molds, with a wild assortment of paint schemes, everything other the sun, dirt cheap.

About 1995, Rivarossi seemed to completely split from IHC. Rivarossi was imported under its own name by a company called Model Expo. Expo eventually went under. Then Walthers got involved, and the first new Rivarossi label tooling in decades happened circa 2003 - a set of four shorty heavyweights, a UP ACF coach, a UP dome lounge obs, and retooled improvements of the UP dome coach and diner. These cars are often referred to as "Waltherossi" cars - they are recognizably Rivarossi but have Walthers style trucks and coupler mounts.

Then this deal fell apart, and Rivarossi apparently went out of business before being acquired by Hornby, and their stuff is once again beginning to appear.

In the mean time around 1999 IHC introduced a bunch of new tooling passenger cars. At first glance they appear to be the Rivarossi cars, but they are not. The Rivarossi cars are state of the art for about 1970; the IHC cars are of similar construction but they really are a mess in terms of prototype and even basic things like body shape. The 8 fluted streamline cars all have prototypes - 5 are Southern, 3 are Santa Fe. They are just poorly executed with generic underframes, the generic lifeless Rivarossi-copy trucks, and for some reason - although all represent Pullman Standard prototypes, they all have Budd ends, obviously copied from Rivarossi's four Budd cars done in the late 1980s. The roof contour is wrong on all of them. IHC then came out with the same 8 cars in smooth side versions, which are 100% bogus. Some of them are reasonable looking and close to existing prototypes, but basically they are just the fluted cars without the fluting.

Lastly, IHC released a group of heavyweight cars which are just bloody awful. The windows don't even match from one car to the next - they are caricatures at best. If you're looking for a passenger train in a certain paint scheme, and don't care if the individual cars represent the railroad, the IHC cars are cheap and will look ok if you don't put them next to anything better... like even a Rivarossi. Definitely don't put them next to a Walthers car! Except for the IHC heavyweights... they are just abominations and I can't in good conscience recommend them for anything.

As to how to tell what you have... if it came in a Rivarossi box, or says Rivarossi on it anywhere - in a Walthers, Expo, Riv, AHM, or IHC box - then it's Rivarossi. If it came in an IHC box and doesn't say Rivarossi on it anywhere, it's probably one of the new IHC cars. If you're not sure, post a picture of the car - I can tell you what it is if I can see it.

Andy

Wow welth of info Andy! Thanks

this is the best shot I have of a car

This was sold in a red Rivarossi box as a 4 car set
Trent

Definitely Rivarossi. Looks like the one in the left edge of the pic is a dome - that is a UP prototype dome coach. Then the coach in the pic has never been tied to a specific prototype, although it's similar to a CN coach. Then the UP diner, and UP baggage car.

Andy

Did anybody other than IHC offer a Monon heavyweight set in the cream and crimsion red colors? I know of an IHC set for sale that is brand new. I know they are quite awfull, but for Monon modeling, the pickins are a bit slim most times. Mike

As Andy said, most IHC cars run OK but don't match any kind of prototype. If it's just the paint scheme you want and you aren't subject to rivet counting freaks, it will serve fine as Monon train.

Back