Railroad Lines

How many lines do you guys run? I have two: ATSF & Union Pacific. I chose them because I live a stone's throw from Cajon Pass, and BNSF & UP are the two lines using the three sets of tracks there. In fact, I have been seeing lots of UP consists, the most frequent was today, that have rolling stock not too often seen. The one I saw today had hoppers, tank cars, and boxcars. I saw one about a month ago that was nearly all boxcars. It's been over a year since I was out in the Palm Sprigs area, but I seem to recall that Cotton Belt runs through that area.

BTW, I have my eyes open for a couple BNSF CW Dash 8's, but I am trying to get them in Atlas. Hopefully Genesis will come out with a run of them.

Happy railroading,

Tom

The sunset route was Southern Pacific, UP owns it now.

Athearn still have the RPP C32-8, C40-8W, Dash 8-40B, C30-7, SD7/9 and SD90MAC, unreleased from the Rail Power Products line, but that's off topic a bit.

I too plan to model Cajon, BNSF/UP, Amtrak and Metrolink.

I have mostly C&NW with a touch of the CN and CP at this time and I would also like to have the occasional other line make an appearance so I plan to acquire one or two BNSF and/or UP. My problem is that I like all of them and settling on one to be "the line I model" is easier said than done. Lately I have been tossing around the idea of having my own freelanced regional railroad so I have been looking at color/paint schemes and such to possibly pursue that. I also like the looks of the Alaska RR so who knows. :)

I run UP so I can (and do) run almost anything: Katy, MP, SP, SSW.....and then of course the house road which can lease everything else along with its own small fleet: KL&W.

Southern, GM&O, L&N, N&W...Home road, (BC&W)Blue Creek and Warrior. (Oh yeah, a leased Challenger from the UP.) At present, I don't use separate trackage, Interchange, etc...we'll say there is an agreement between roads.:D

I run the Texas and Gulf Coast and the Virginia and Alleghenny, both freelanced roads

Hmmm...well, my layout is the home of my fictional shortline, the Prattville and Northern. Depending on my mood, it interchanges with the UP, SP, Southern, GM&O, Nickle Plate, CSX, N&W, and the Santa Fe. So I guess I don't qualify as very prototypical but I have fun. :D

UP2CSX,

As I delve more deeply into this hobby I find that I give myself fits trying to become prototypical. I think I need to take a step back and follow your lead. If I focus on having fun I'll be more apt to enjoy model railroading. Should I really give myself a stroke trying to get the right cars behind the right locomotive?

I like UP because I am sure to see the real thing every time I go "down the hill" to 138 @ the 15 FWY, the heart of Cajon Pass. But if I put a Great Northern stock car behind a UP locomotive, who cares?

I still buy locomotives and rolling stock because they look cool. As far as diesels go, I love the design on F-7's. As far as steam goes, I love the look of early Hudsons and Northerns. BTW, I still have my eye out for a pair BNSF Dash 8 CW locomotives. I'd love to get them in red warbonnet with two closely matched road numbers.

Finally, I had thought I would have found NYC to be popular among model railroaders. Maybe the release of Paragon2's Hudson might ignite passion for a new line. I am going to buy the unlettered Paragon2 Hudson and maybe have "ATSF" decals applied. That and a dozen Super Chief passenger cars and I'll be good to go.

Take care,

Tom

Tom, when I was in my early 20's, I belonged to a railroad club that met at the LA County Fairgrounds. It was a large club, with about 60 members, and the layout was 100'x 40'. It was fairly accurate, if compressed, model of Cajon from Devore to Victorville. We ran it like the current time (1970) SP and UP and all our equipment had to strictly meet standards for operational quality and being correct for the era. It was a very interesting and enjoyable few years and I still have a lot of respect for people who try to model the prototype as accurately as possible.

As I've gotten older, I've found I enjoy running trains I like more than worrying about if an F-3 ever ran with an SD-45. Obviously, the Union Pacific never really interchanged with the Nickle Plate but I like both roads, so they do interchange in my little world. Since my shortline is complete fiction, I figure that gives me literary license to do pretty much do what I want to. A lot less stress and a lot more fun.

I run CN,BN and MRL but I tend to run what I want pulling whatever I want.When I run with my club I run my Big Boy pulling morden centerbeams:D Looks great LMAO:D:rolleyes::cool: I also have engines painted in morden roads that they don't have 'OH MY" I better watch out for the rivit police :D
Remind it's a hobby have some fun

My layout is Burlington Northern with two interchanges. One is the SP&S which survived the merger in my wee world, the other toggles between CN, CP, and BCR depending on the mood. I'm planning to model a border crossing at the later with a full out swat team beside a stripped down truck assaulting an orange or corned beaf sandwich with weapons drawn. (those who travel will get the joke)

Back