Plywood + Foam, just plywood, or just foam?

...another couple of quotes...

Did you gap the track when you installed it? A business card to credit card space should be left between any segments of track longer than about a foot. This allows for the expansion and contraction of the metal rails.

Also, Your benchwork is an excellent example of why going with the cheapest materials available is not always the best idea. 2x4's can and do twist, warp, stretch and shrink. Likewise OSB loves moisture and will develop sags over time. Now this is somewhat fixable with additional bracing and possibly an extra set of legs in the middle of the table if you don't already have a set there but realistically If you are going to use dimensional lumber pay the couple extra bucks and get Clear pine or if it's available popular. That said it is just as affordable to purchase one sheet of 3/4 birch plywood and build your benchwork frame with that. (FYI plywood works out to about 50 cents a foot for 3.5 inch wide strips) As for a plywood surface, any actual plywood will do the trick but the better quality it is the easier it is to work with. Stay away from MDF and OSB due to long term sagging issues.
OnDrew

The real problem is the OSB. It’s cheap and not very strong. My last layout had Homosote and I never had issues. I used 3/4 plywood (a little over kill) ripped to 3" wide stripes. Than I assembled it into modules using Gorilla Glue and brad nails to hold it until the glue dried. The 1/2" Homosote was glued and screwed to the 3/4" top. After the glue was dry I removed the screws and filled in all of the holes and seams with sheetrock mud. Sanded it when dry and then painted it with latex paint. All of the bench work was painted flat black. The layout was in a basement that had poured concrete walls. No issues with any moisture in all seasons.

My track was spiked down. I trimmed the spike heads off every 5th tie on the outside of the flex track. Then drilled holes for the spikes. When it was laid I would spike every 10th tie leaving room for any adjustments. No gaps between ends of rails. Soldered feeders every other section to flex. Also I let the movable rail keep moving and adjusted my rail joiners as needed. Just trimmed of the tie plate and spike. So all rail joints ended up being staggered.

I ended up tearing it down and moving. I would build it the same way but with 1/2" cabinet grade (7 ply Baltic Birch) plywood and Homosote spline for the roadbed cut to 2" wide strips and screwed together. Will paint benchwork and roadbed as I go.
Randy Doman

Walt's original posting...
Last summer/fall I built the basic framework for my layout in my basement. The frame is 2X4's and the road bed is a sandwich made of 5/8" strandboard and 1/2" homosote. The entire structure is a 32' long dogbone with the ends about 7' wide and the center about 4 1/2' wide. I glued 1/4" cork road bed on top of the homosote and nailed the flextrack in place using #19 X 7/8" brads. I've installed numerous turnouts in the mainline and ran trains in both directions at various speeds without any derailments

However, now, December 24, I have numerous kinks developing in both the straight and curved tracks. Also, the track is out of level at many places around the layout. Needless to say, it's almost impossible to run trains at all.

Have any of the forum members had this type of problem? I can't decide if the track expanded, or did the road bed shrink? Whichever it is, what can be done to fix it and what can be done to eliminate the problem?
Thanks, Walt
Walt's review...
There seems to be some pretty compelling evidence that the wooden framework is not the culprit. The strand board doesn't have a grain so it too should not be causing this problem. That seems to leave the Homosote or the track. Sealing the Homosote and cork doesn't seem to be a daunting task. And if it's the track expanding, then a few gaps cut into the rails should fix the problems.

Someone asked what the temperature differential is in my basement. I'd estimate that it is less than 20 degrees summer versus winter. Also, I keep 3 fans circulating the air in the basement all year.

Again, thank you all for your input - it's enlightening and greatly appreciated.
Walt

Huminity !

this was interesting..
No, I think the strand board is very much the culprit as far as sagging goes, and sagging was mentioned as one of your problems in the initial post. Strand board does have grain, it just isn’t all going the same way. However, it is grain that gives wood its strength. When you cut through that grain and randomize it in any of the chip board products, it no longer exhibits the same strength that the original wood had. I have enough experience with strand board to know that it doesn’t have the kind of sag resistance needed for model railroading. It is plenty strong on edge, but laid flat, it takes a lot of support to keep it from sagging in the small amounts that give model railroaders fits. Unsupported Homasote will definitely sag. In fact, I suspect the extra weight of it will cause the OSB to sag even more.

Having fans in your basement will not change the humidity in the air unless it is exhausting it. Fans may distribute it more evenly and may make you feel cooler and dryer through evaporation from your body, but unless the moisture has somewhere to go, it does not leave the the room. In fact, the very notion that you have three fans blowing in your basement at all implies to me that there is a moisture problem. I also think 20 degrees F is a fairly big temperature swing, although people without climate controlled basements may think it is small.

Regarding rail expansion, the thermal expansion index of nickel silver 0.000009”/degree F. That means that 30 feet of rail would expand or contract about .065” over a 20 degree range. How much of a gap to leave may be debatable, but there needs to be some IMHO. I know I said credit card, but I really meant business card. It isn’t much, but it is some. I suspect insulated rail joiners compress a little and provide enough give for most situations and if the rail is laid when it is at the warm end of the range, it will contract over time, not expand. I still think best practice is to leave a tiny gap between sections of rail.

Regardless, you have reported kinking rails and a sagging platform. Something is moving. Leaving a tiny gap between rail sections that are not soldered together will alleviate the kinking. Plenty of cross support will help with the sagging for any material.

For what it’s worth, I feel your pain. My own railroad is mostly Homasote on 1/2” plywood. This worked fine for about 25 years in my former house. Then my wife had a pet snake or turtle or something that I now don’t remember that was having a problem requiring increased humidity. She chose my basement darkroom as a treatment room since I wasn’t using it much any more. She ran a humidifier that made the room dripping wet. Besides ruining a couple of enlargers, this increased the humidity dramatically in the entire basement. Although changes along in the length of the surface grain of the plywood weren’t noticeable, the cross grain dimension sagged. Then we moved and in five years of storage things moved around some more. All though the cookie cutter sections survived in great shape, the table top areas (yards) are requiring much remedial work as I am finally getting around to re-errecting it.
Jim Marlett

...hope I didn't double post this one...

As a long time woodworker, my advice is, and has always been, use
cabinet grade plywood instead of lumber and seal all 4 sides and the
ends with either dewaxed shellac or polyurethane. They're roughly
equivalent in preventing moisture exchange. Shellac (Zinssers SealCoat
is the best) is the easiest to apply, the quickest to dry, and has
little fumes when applied. Polyurethane (NOT the water based) is better
if you plan on having standing water on the layout (yes, there have been
rivers and lakes modeled with real water) but takes longer to dry and
has fumes.

Or, if the layout is to be mostly flat, skip the wood and use 2" foam.
I do put a sheet of 1/4" plywood on the bottom to have something to
screw stuff to.

BTW, I can get 11 4" wide plywood beams out of one sheet of 3/4"
plywood. If I'm lucky enough to visit Home Depot when they've got some
of their low cost void-free hardwood plywood (unknown species and stinks
during cutting) available, each beam costs me less than $3.75.
Comparable to a good grade 1x4 and has little or no expansion/contraction.

I hand lay a lot of track so I use 3/16" basswood for roadbed. I coat
it with Zinssers on all sides before I fasten it down, with construction
adhesive on foam or screws on open grid..

I have been watching this post since it started. Opinions are just opinions.

Personally, I can't see foam board for a base for a layout, except for modular layouts. In my area, there are a number of N scalers who have a modular layout which they put on display at various locations such as malls. I can see foam for this type of layout mainly for the weight factor.

For a permanent layout, I can't see it for a base. As I posted, I used the old cookie cutter method which has been up now for over 30 years. What I was looking for is something that was strong and would last for a long time. It has survived for over 30 years so far. I used plywood with a product call Homabed. Homabed is a homasote product that has been cut to about the same profile as cork roadbed. I started my layout hand laying code 70 track and turnouts but ended up completing it with Shinohara flex track and turnouts.

IMAG0325_BURST002.jpg IMAG0326.jpg

I prefer to spike my track down rather than trying to glue it. If needed, it is extremely easy to remove manufactured track and turnouts without any damage. The homasote holds spikes very well and also is great for gluing down ballast. Unfortunately, I had one area where I didn't plan properly and had to tear out a few hand laid turnouts and track.

Mounting turnout motors using plywood is pretty cut and dry, but not so when using foam. It's easy to screw into the bottom of the plywood to mount a switch machine. No so with foam. Yes, plywood is expensive, a lot more than when I built my layout, but even with the higher prices we have today, I would still build my layout the same way. I haven't had any sagging or warping at all over the years.

I guess I am just old school, but for a permanent layout I just can't understand how foam board would be of any advantage. I can see it for use in scenery as a base for forming mountains and such. I used the old styrofoam as a base for scenery, but it was removed as soon as the hydrocal I used for hard shell had dried.

That's the two cents from an old fart, but an old fart with a layout that has stook up great over the years.

Some of it is 5/8" amd some 1/2". I used what I happened to have on have at the time as I had other building projects going on at the time. The half inch is more than strong enough.

Using the cookie cutter method, I have risers coming up from the 1x4 open grid bench work spaced 16" on center. Some areas have been up for over 30 years and there is no warping at all.

Is your layout in a somewhat temp/humidity controlled enviro?
Has it ever experienced temp/humid 'extremes' (outdoor conditions)??

The reason I ask is I am planing on building my new layout in a outdoor shed. I am planning on insulating the shed to a certain degree, and it is parked under my existing carport here in northern FL. BUT there will be times I will be away for extended periods, and doing those times there may very well be no 'air conditioning' of any kind supplied to that shed.

....another forum reply..
Most likely the homosote is the culprit. Unless it is sealed completely, humidity and water will ruin it.
I am just using cork roadbed on ½ ply in my basement with no problem

Couldn't disagree more. Most telling example was Kodiak, Alaska - a place not known for low humidity. When many homes were destroyed by flooding from the tsunami created by the 1964 Anchorage earthquake, the "temporary" replacements used Homasote sheathing. Thirty-five years later the sheathing is still in pretty good shape despite being exposed to 80" annual driving rainfall, snow, sleet, and ice.

My personal experience in my homes in Colorado is equally telling. In both cases, some sheet Homasote I bought for my layout end up with the bottom edged being immersed in standing water for a few days. At that point the immersed edge did swell some. After being allowed to dry, the Homasote returned to normal with nothing to see but a water stain. I've used those edges just like the rest of the sheet for roadbed with no ill effects.

I've had negative experiences with cork roadbed drying out and crumbling (from the inside out) over a 10 year period. Didn't matter whether it was Virginia (with no air conditioning), Alaska, California, or Colorado. Surface looked good until I went to use - then it crumbled in my hands. My guess is that those who use cork early in its life, and seal it with glue, paint, or whatever get a much longer life than I did.

As for the OP, I believe the benchwork sag is inadequate support of the 5/8" OSB. Linn Westcott's research showed that 1/2" plywood needed support about every 12" to keep sag to less than 0.004". More than 1/250" of sag is enough to cause problems with HO trackwork. 3/4" plywood cannot make 24" without sag, it needs to be supported at 18" intervals or less. On my modules I use 3/4" high quality plywood for the subroadbed, with supports averaging around 12" spacing. Other module builders support the subroadbed with a vertical of 5mm plywood to ensure the subroadbed stays flat.

We just did a setup for the Christmas season in Denver. One 4ft long module, which was mostly trestle, had the trestle rails visibly bow after a cold night after 2 weeks of being set up. We didn't have time to figure out why. The owner had to cut a gap in the rails at the end of the trestle and spike the rail on the trestle every 3-4 ties. It happens to the best of us.
Fred W

Is your layout in a somewhat temp/humidity controlled enviro?
Has it ever experienced temp/humid 'extremes' (outdoor conditions)??

The reason I ask is I am planing on building my new layout in a outdoor shed. I am planning on insulating the shed to a certain degree, and it is parked under my existing carport here in northern FL. BUT there will be times I will be away for extended periods, and doing those times there may very well be no 'air conditioning' of any kind supplied to that shed.

My layout is in my basement. Montana does have a dry climate unlike northern Florida. I was stationed in northern Florida in the Navy and I know it can get humid there. The train room is heated, but there were years when I didn't do anything to the layout because I have no hobby shops at all near me and the room was not heated. Temps did not go below freezing, but were probably down into the 40's. The homasote I used was a brand called Homabed. It is quarter inch homasote that has been cut and milled to roughly the same contour as cork road bed. It is glued to the plywood which won't warp.

I really don't think you would see any warping with the relative humidity you have there. It's not like having water directly on it. Plywood does have less of a tendency to warp compared to OSB or particle board. If you support it similar to the way I did at 16" on center, I really don't think you'll have a problem. When I join two pieces of the plywood sub roadbed, I use a scrap piece of plywood around 6" long, glued and screwed underneath the sub road bed. This needless to say adds more strength.

My train shed has 2x4 studs for walls at 24 inch centers. I had (have) hopes of providing brackets off of each of these studs to support the subroadbed 'shelfs'. Those brackets might be 'traditional metal shelf brackets' or plywood cut brackets attached to the 2x4 studs around the wall. I would think that even with just flat sub-roadbed made of 3/4" plywood, the 24" spacing would be OK?.

Of course I don't want to have just plain flat roadbed.

Attachments

• DSCF0608.jpg
    DSCF0608.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCF0609.jpg
    DSCF0609.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCF0607.jpg
    DSCF0607.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCF0074.jpg
    DSCF0074.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 147
I had been thinking along this line of shelf bracket. I think they are stronger in their support than the angle brackets you mentioned.

Attachments

• Benchwork-05.jpg
    Benchwork-05.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 164
  • s-l1600c.jpg
    s-l1600c.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 169
  • s-l1600d.jpg
    s-l1600d.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 191
I would also think that these stamped steel brackets should be strong enough as well?

Attachments

• 25564.jpg
    25564.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 147
  • SL1400.jpg
    SL1400.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 161
Rakks' aluminum brackets:

I have a bunch of those first brackets you showed, and they work pretty well. I would think they're stronger than the stamped-metal brackets. Most important is the bracket's length, I would think. But the benefit of the flat corner-bracket application I referenced is that you can attach a fairly long piece of dimensional lumber horizontally, and the lumber itself provides most of the support. For one part of my layout I use these super-strong tig-welded aluminum counter-support brackets:

rakksnew-1.jpg

They hold up to 250 lbs. per pair, and come in lengths as long as 24" (18" in-wall model shown above), long enough to support a 30" countertop. They come in both a surface-mount, and an inside flush-mount which you attach to the interior of a wall stud, then cover with drywall for a really slick install. As you'd expect they're fairly expensive, but make for a near-100% clearance support with a zero-footprint. For the ultimate in strength, these can't be beat. Find them at Rakks.com. Their counter-support brackets are located here.

Last edited by a moderator:
My layout is 3/8" plywood deck on a 1x4 framework. I have 2" pink foam over the plywood and 1/2" Homasote over that. It's nice and solid, I have 2-1/2" I can cut for surface features, and the Homasote does a fantastic job of holding track nails. I have Woodland Scenics foam roadbed, and the yard and industrial areas are going to be on 3/16" hardboard to bring them up to roadbed level.

Back