photobucket vs. flickr

Charles Smiley

cspmovies
photobucket (PB) has had this miserable "beta" version out for months of excuses - the slide show feature was disabled about 2-1/2 months ago. Lots of people are very unhappy with PB.

How many here use either or both photo sites and how do they compare by your experience? If you use a similar site besides these two I would like to see those comments too.

Flicker looks nicer but their introduction pages seem clutttered and unorganized compared to getting started on the older PB setup.

I agree that the new photobucket is crap compared to the way it used to be but I too will stay with it. To lazy to reload all my pictures to another.

Steve

Not only the problem of reloading the pictures onto a new server, but you will lose all that are posted every where, on forums, blogs etc, due to the address of the picture changing. I don't want to go back and try to find even my most recent posts that contains pictures and reload them.

The beta for Photobucket was awful but the new version actually isn't that bad. I don't like that you have to load the image editor just to resize but at least it doesn't take forever to load anymore. Never tried Flickr but my dad uses it without much trouble.

There was an option to use the old format but all the support such as the editor, etc has already been moved and won't work on the old one. The link for the old format WAS in the top right hand corner of the home screen. I don't see it there now.

As for whether I will continue to use Photobucket, I have thousands of photos spread over nearly a dozen accounts and I have no intention of closing any of them. As for Flicker, I tried them years ago and didn't like it. I wouldn't give it the time of day.

They first disabled the slideshow back in the Fall of 2012 IIRC. I found the “old-way” option. Then, around December they switched it over to the “Beta” version until this week.

A few days ago I left a comment on PB's web blog and it started a renewed burst of anger about the capricious manipulation of the features. My comments are below.

This morning I discovered that they restored my slideshow :D and my comments were deleted from the blog. Here’s a link to the slideshow

http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/Charles-Smiley/MODEL-RR/?albumview=slideshow

My comments…

The slide show function has been in "beta" for many months. Why can't you develop your new software with an offline copy of these client accounts and leave existing functions intact until you have finished your work? As a retired designer of computer systems for 43 years I can't think of anyplace that wouldn't have rolled a few heads by now over this level of lackadaisical ineptitude.

Enjoyed your slideshow. Wish I was a computer systems expert, then I wouldn't have to waste loads of time trying to work out how to use these "new and improved" websites.

At the moment the message I am getting on PB (as I opted to remain with the old one) is that I've got 12 days to do the change (with a carrot of extra storage being dangled).

After reading your comment I'm looking forward to the experience with even more trepidation.

Your comments on whether you think the new version is an actual improvement (when you are forced to use it) would be appreciated.

Thanks tootnkumin.

Well I'm no longer an expert after retiring 5 years ago from electronics design. I'm so happy to jump off the technology-treadmill. It was barrels of fun while it lasted but I'm into other things now - like model RR-ing.

Here's a link to PBs support blog. You can see from the recent entries that they have not made many new friends from their reasons listed. Hopefully they will figure out how to fix their marketing policies.

http://support.photobucket.com/entr...ng-Here-s-whats-coming-?page=12#post_21343304

You have to scroll down a bit on this page to see the comments. This indexes to the 12th page - which is the most recent flurry.

I use both railimages and photobucket for redundancy. PB has the larger images when you link to them. I have no complaints, particularly since they allowed me gazillions of unpaid (AKA 'free') storage space. I have at least 50 photos loaded, maybe more, and the counter shows I have less than 1% usage. What's not to like? You still get the handy link option in the menu at right, although I have to admit to liking the old format better....run the cursor through the thumb image toward the bottom and find the ghosted menu that worked just as well. Now it seems I must enlarge the image first.

Thanks tootnkumin.

http://support.photobucket.com/entr...ng-Here-s-whats-coming-?page=12#post_21343304

You have to scroll down a bit on this page to see the comments. This indexes to the 12th page - which is the most recent flurry.

There are an awful lot of peed off people, especially the paid up ones, the most disturbing reply from Danny (yesterday)was this,

[I only remove threads that are not being responded to, and are getting out of control with questions (and angry users that aren't having them answered). This is the only thread I've been responding to, and I'm the only one on the support team that is taking the time to reply and answer questions as best as I can.]

Doesn't inspire confidence. Sort of makes you wonder who is actually in charge (considering that Danny seems to be the site's creator).

I have loved photobucket for almost a decade now. The new version is too complicated. Thank goodness my cell app is untouched as of yet.

Flickr for free limits how many pjcs I could have too much. Or at least did last time I paid attention to it.

Hopefully PB comes around and realizes Facebook beat Myspace because it was more simple.

I've spent some time over at the PB forums today and I don't think I've ever seen as much negativity expressed about a software upgrade, as it is there.

I haven't switched to the "new" version yet, and I'm gonna make them do the switch for me. But I have decided, that if even half the bad things complained about are true, then I will switch to somewhere else. I've only got 148 pics out there, but they are all linked to different topics on various forums. The most recent topics that I feel are very important to what was said in the forum(s), I think that I will re-do. The others will be a no-go.

Funny thing. A day after I posted my gripe on their PB forum (which re-ignited the complaining from others) they magically restored my slide show and they deleted my gripe.

They seem to do that once they think they have 'addressed" an issue as I have noticed it before. I guess it saves space on the server? But it kind of reminds me of the "minders" that would follow westerners around in the old Soviet Union that were there on business. :D

Well they switched the slideshow function back off again and put the little message up "coming soon".

What are these guys, a bunch of inept, clumsy bozos?

on their website forum it says the slideshow function "topic is closed for discussion". This has been going on since November 2012! Then I read some blurb to the effect that their engineers were working diligently yada yada....

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Flickr for my truck photos, I have had a few small problems but I like it. it does cost me about $25 a year for my 2700 photos, you can post 200 shots for free

Back