photobucket vs. flickr

I use Flickr for my truck photos, I have had a few small problems but I like it. it does cost me about $25 a year for my 2700 photos, you can post 200 shots for free

I use Flickr for my truck photos, I have had a few small problems but I like it. it does cost me about $25 a year for my 2700 photos, you can post 200 shots for free
200 shots free? $25 is a lot of money to a poor country boy like me. I'm currently storing 1,102 'shots' and 44 videos on one Photobucket account and it's not costing me anything. I have close to a dozen accounts with them and am paying exactly $0.

Well I have just made the jump from the old to the new, and as a barely literate computer user I feel like someone cut holes in my parachute.

After having another look at PB and puzzling about why they would take a site that was so easy to use and make it complicated and laborious, I wonder at the motives, what would possess them to do this, especially in the face of all the complaints and disatisfaction that has been expressed and have come to an opinion. Being of a cynical and suspicious mind when organisations do something which is glaringly obnoxious to it's members and dress it up as a great beneficial advance, it always seems to be about money and how they (govt's do it all the time, doesn't matter of which political persuasion) can squeeze more out of it's members (populace). At the moment PB hosts a massive amount of free storage (take note J-W) which must be a financial burden.

In any commercial enterprise this would be considered "dead wood", and what do you do with "dead wood". So don't be surprised if in order for those who seem to be calling the shots at PB to modify their position (it doesn't appear to be the sites founder 'cause he seemed to have been sidelined into trying to deal with and pacify the complainants, something he didn't sound too happy about) free storage may become a thing of the past if a return to easy usage is to occur.

But then I'm of a somewhat "jaundiced" disposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have just made the jump from the old to the new, and as a barely literate computer user I feel like someone cut holes in my parachute.
You're not alone! I felt the same way but after playing around with it and seeing what this does and what that does I've gotten fairly comfortable with it.

Well the slideshow worked for about week and now it says "Coming Soon" for that link. Unreal.

Every tech place I ever worked at would have a bushel-basket full of heads by now for behavior like this. I guess this is the new standard now. :(

New-ish guy around here, but had to chime in on this discussion. I don't use any of the mentioned sites, never have. Have any of you tried PicasaWeb.com? Not real sure how it compares to Flikr or Photobook, or any others, but I have used it for years and have never had any issues. All you need is to establish a Gmail email address and that's it. Also, with Picasa you can download and install a desktop uploader for PC and Mac, so you can skip having to log onto your web browser at all if you want to.

Just providing an alternative, since there seems to be some unhappy campers in PB land. :)

Happy modeling.
Chuck

Thanks Chuck, will have a look at that one. I think one of the greatest concerns present PB users have is, if you close the a/cc or tranferred all your pics elsewhere, you would break the links to all the sites that you have pics posted and they would disappear. I haven't seen any mention of deleting inactive a/cc's (i.e. ones that aren't being added to) by PB, so as far as I can see there's no reason to panic in that regard, just leave them there. Certainly I will be looking at alternatives for storing and posting any future pics and videos, just going to be a damn inconvenience having to use PB's now convoluted and step-backward methods to use the ones stored there.

I wonder who it was considered PB needed a stake driven through it's heart.

In most places I've worked, with a mix of hardware and software development, it goes like this. The bad ideas come from the Marketing Dept. - you know the guys that couldn't make the grades in engineering classes. :D

Next, comes massively bad supervision of the loosley-wrapped (but fun)software guys -- for about 6 months. And viola! A train wreck. :eek:

Oh! And while engineering is still developing the new Wiz-Bang 4000, Marketing guys tell all the potential customers about it and the sales figures crash selling the old Wiz-Bang 3000 model. THey will wait for the new model. So, now all the pressure is on the engineers (whips come out) to hurry up and release something before it really works. Retirement is gooood. :cool:

With the free version of Flickr your uploads are limited to 300MB of photos(up to 30MB per photo) and 2 videos per month. You can post more than 200 photos, but they will only show the most recent 200. The older ones will still be there just not shown. I guess when I hit 200 I'll have to decide if I want to pay the $25 or not. With my current internet speed I won't be uploading much anytime soon anyway.

Haven't tried Photobucket but I may look into it.

With the free version of Flickr your uploads are limited to 300MB of photos(up to 30MB per photo) and 2 videos per month. You can post more than 200 photos, but they will only show the most recent 200. The older ones will still be there just not shown. I guess when I hit 200 I'll have to decide if I want to pay the $25 or not. With my current internet speed I won't be uploading much anytime soon anyway.

My speed is pretty slow by cable broadband standards. 3.21 mbps download and 0.51 mbps upload. I could spend a bit more to triple that but on my nearly invisible income I can't really afford it on a month to month basis. I have enough speed for my phone to work and that's what is important. At least the phone bill won't break me. It's only $30 a year. It takes me about thirty seconds to upload a photo and thirty to forty-five minutes for a short video.

Alternative Photo Hosting Sites

Interesting forum discussion, particularly since I was just contemplating setting up a photo hosting site (something I've resisted for a long time). Considering this posting;
Not only the problem of reloading the pictures onto a new server, but you will lose all that are posted every where, on forums, blogs etc, due to the address of the picture changing. I don't want to go back and try to find even my most recent posts that contains pictures and reload them.
....I may wait for a little while until I hear more about other Alternatives....keep them coming.
Brian

After having another look at PB and puzzling about why they would take a site that was so easy to use and make it complicated and laborious, I wonder at the motives, what would possess them to do this, especially in the face of all the complaints and disatisfaction that has been expressed and have come to an opinion. Being of a cynical and suspicious mind when organisations do something which is glaringly obnoxious to it's members and dress it up as a great beneficial advance, it always seems to be about money and how they (govt's do it all the time, doesn't matter of which political persuasion) can squeeze more out of it's members (populace). At the moment PB hosts a massive amount of free storage (take note J-W) which must be a financial burden.
I wonder also about this modern computer aided designing world. I work part time in the limousine world, so I get a chance to experience a variety of new vehicles. I really have to scratch my head and ask what were these young designers thinking of when they become possessed with changing all the buttons and displays in these vehicles EVERY year....and many of these changes are NOT fully proofed out, and I'm sure it is an extra economic issue, both present and future parts inventory wise.

(ie, why would you continue to make the speedometer more difficult to read....smaller and more shadowed....when the population is growing older? Why should one have to put on their reading glasses to read their speed?)
That is just one grip, I have quite a number more.

Back to computers. Why are we allowing Microsoft to dictate the software that most new computers are sold with. Who wants their crappy Vista operating system, or some of their newer stuff that comes out before it is even perfected. How about their IE9 that I understand is not well received. I've even had problems with their IE8 to navigate this forum. I now have to use Firefox to get a decent speed on this forum site.

Recently I joined FACEBOOK that I also resisted for years. I really wanted to continue to see some travel photos that a good friend continues to post on her site. Boy, I have yet to understand how to navigate that site :rolleyes::confused:

Enough of my morning rant. These damn computers and this internet thing are a WONDERFUL and enriching technology. :D:cool:

Picasa site

New-ish guy around here, but had to chime in on this discussion. I don't use any of the mentioned sites, never have. Have any of you tried PicasaWeb.com? Not real sure how it compares to Flikr or Photobook, or any others, but I have used it for years and have never had any issues. All you need is to establish a Gmail email address and that's it. Also, with Picasa you can download and install a desktop uploader for PC and Mac, so you can skip having to log onto your web browser at all if you want to.

Just providing an alternative, since there seems to be some unhappy campers in PB land. :)

Happy modeling.
Chuck
Isn't this Picasa site owned by Google?

I'd like to hear some more personnal experiences with this site.

QUOTE: "I wonder also about this modern computer aided designing world."

The tools are OK. It's the judgment of the tool users that is the potential problem.

Modern drafting tools like Solid Works allow you to create 3D parts and test-fit them and assemble them before sending the drawings out of tooling and catch many embarrassing problems.

Embarrassing like impossible to assemble designs -- unless someone volunteers to crawl inside (and never return) because he has to hold the nuts inside when it’s put together. :D

QUOTE: "ie, why would you continue to make the speedometer more difficult to read....smaller and more shadowed....when the population is growing older? "

Beiland that is the truth.

I recently saw a business card at my printer shop that was for people with age-related eye problems. The phone number and address was like 8-point font!

There was still lots of unused space on that card - use a bold and larger font size! I'm sure the 20-something guy making the graphics for this card didn't think much about the people needing this service.

@beiland - Yes, Picasa is a Google product, which is why you need a Gmail account in order to log in. I don't know how well Picasa works in relation to other Photo sharing sites, as I have not used anything else. All I know is that Picasa is very simple to use and easy to understand, for me.

This is an image that is posted in one of my Picasa Albums, and then a link to that web album... just to give you an idea of it's structure. :)

Sorry - can't figure out how to input the code to re-size the image. :rolleyes:
IMG_0778.JPG

Picasa Album Link: https://plus.google.com/photos/102700810654735985344/albums/5855671069321659233

@beiland - Yes, Picasa is a Google product, which is why you need a Gmail account in order to log in. I don't know how well Picasa works in relation to other Photo sharing sites, as I have not used anything else. All I know is that Picasa is very simple to use and easy to understand, for me.

This is an image that is posted in one of my Picasa Albums, and then a link to that web album... just to give you an idea of it's structure. :)

Sorry - can't figure out how to input the code to re-size the image. :rolleyes:
I would think that Picasa has some photo editing tools themselves, that is if I read a few things correctly about them, a smaller edited image can be made, while Picasa retains the original photo in a 'hidden file'

One photo editing software I discovered, and like to use, ...and its free, is Irfanview

Amazing! They have "released" their new software but the Slideshow is still tagged as "coming soon".

And their Photbucket user forum thread of mostly complaints has been removed in the most underhanded fashion. :mad:

Back