Number of wire feeders DCC 3 tracks

idiot

Bachmann DCC. 3 large circles of track 7 feet long. Each circle connected together with turnouts. Will one feeder wire from one circle of track be enough to power the whole thing? Or will I need feeder wires to each circle of track? And if so, feeder wires to connect the 3 tracks or 3 feeder wires directly to the Bachmann controller? Thank you.

Best to have feeders for each loop, can all come off one main feeder from your controller.
Otherwise you’re pretty much relying on power feeding thru the turnouts and rail joiners.
My pre morning coffee thoughts anyway.

I'll assume HO scale and nickel silver track. I would suggest drops from the track to the power bus every six feet of track. That will help alleviate issues with power loss due to track resistance and poorly connected track.

Bachmann DCC. 3 large circles of track 7 feet long. Each circle connected together with turnouts. Will one feeder wire from one circle of track be enough to power the whole thing? Or will I need feeder wires to each circle of track? And if so, feeder wires to connect the 3 tracks or 3 feeder wires directly to the Bachmann controller? Thank you.
One feeder theoretically would work BUT loose railjoiners seem to be common with Bachmann EZ-track. Even had trouble with that on my small 36" loop around the Christmas tree this year, so I would STRONGLY recommend 3 or more. Is this just on the floor or are they mounted?

With the Bachmann system and terminal tracks you could daisy chain the feeder wires track to track. That would work. Three wires directly to the controller would work as well, and it would provide more current capacity. Electricity would have three different choices of how to get to the locos.

Don't know if your turnouts are "power routing" or not, but if they are, you definitely want at least one set of feeders minimum to each loop.

I would do a feeder on each loop plus each side of the loop. Run a heavy 14g or 16g set of wires from the control unit(command station) and feed a multi point connector that bundles them together.
I use Wago connectors with Wirefy T-taps.

Attachments

• 20230407_133050.jpg
    20230407_133050.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 15
My kato Ho I have 3 loops approx 10 ft each side and my feeders are every 5 ft but then have a feeder on the other side of .turnouts . Everything works well .
mike

Back