New to the forum

Ok, here is some learning that takes a while to sink in. G is a gauge of track, 45mm specifically, not a scale of trains. Manufacturers have used G-gauge track for scales of 1:20.4 all the way to 1:32nd. Track stays the same but the equipment gets smaller. Personally I use g-gauge track for the 1:20.5 which makes it approximately 3 feet wide narrow gauge. NMRA calls this Fn3 scale. A lot of the Bachmann equipment is this size. I cheat and also use LGB stuff which is mostly 1:22 scale.

The Aristo-Craft company was a family (Polk's) run business started in 1935. The G gauge line was started in 1988 and they did 1:29th scale and called it #1 Gauge. That is the g-gauge track is considered to be standard gauge (which makes it just narrower than the original "2 gauge" would have been). They were one of the few manufacturers that used that scale. They were one of the largest G gauge manufacturers (behind LGB) for a few decades. They went out of business in 2013, I believe because none of the children were interested in taking it over. That seems to happen a lot in this industry. Someone picked up the track line, but I don't know anyone has begun using the other tooling at this time.

The locomotive you have there will was produced from at least 1994 through 2022 and probably longer but I can't prove it. It will probably retail between $240 and $290 depending on how the buyer values the specific paint scheme. I don't know how popular Louisville and Nashville is.

Edit - just saw the other posting. It is not rare!
I truly appreciate your response and helping me out with this. When you look up the items on eBay and other sites the prices are all over the place. Of course you got the people that completely over charge or jack their prices up to ridiculous amounts. I always try to research as much as possible to get all the information I can to include in a listing and also to price items correctly. I am not in the business of ripping people off....lol
That is for sure. I also don't want to be taken advantage of either. Thank you so much for your reply.

Dina

Ok, here is some learning that takes a while to sink in. G is a gauge of track, 45mm specifically, not a scale of trains. Manufacturers have used G-gauge track for scales of 1:20.4 all the way to 1:32nd. Track stays the same but the equipment gets smaller. Personally I use g-gauge track for the 1:20.5 which makes it approximately 3 feet wide narrow gauge. NMRA calls this Fn3 scale. A lot of the Bachmann equipment is this size. I cheat and also use LGB stuff which is mostly 1:22 scale.

The Aristo-Craft company was a family (Polk's) run business started in 1935. The G gauge line was started in 1988 and they did 1:29th scale and called it #1 Gauge. That is the g-gauge track is considered to be standard gauge (which makes it just narrower than the original "2 gauge" would have been). They were one of the few manufacturers that used that scale. They were one of the largest G gauge manufacturers (behind LGB) for a few decades. They went out of business in 2013, I believe because none of the children were interested in taking it over. That seems to happen a lot in this industry. Someone picked up the track line, but I don't know anyone has begun using the other tooling at this time.

The locomotive you have there will was produced from at least 1994 through 2022 and probably longer but I can't prove it. It will probably retail between $240 and $290 depending on how the buyer values the specific paint scheme. I don't know how popular Louisville and Nashville is.

Edit - just saw the other posting. It is not rare!
Thank you. Yea I was told it was "rare" and you know everyone online on many platforms selling trains think the ones they have are RARE..lol

Here are some pictures of some of the stuff I got in my last purchase. It was a Uhaul full. Just is some samples of what I got before I started to pack it all up to move it home. This is just a small amount of photos, there is so much stuff. As I unpack it I will be posting more pictures. Still figuring out how to use this forum and where to post this stuff. I haven't figured out how to post the pictures in "conversations" yet.

Dina

Attachments

• IMG-0499.jpg
    IMG-0499.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-0500.jpg
    IMG-0500.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-0501.jpg
    IMG-0501.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-0502.jpg
    IMG-0502.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-0503.jpg
    IMG-0503.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-0504.jpg
    IMG-0504.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-0505.jpg
    IMG-0505.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-0506.jpg
    IMG-0506.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-0507.jpg
    IMG-0507.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-0508.jpg
    IMG-0508.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 61
Looks like a fantastic collection! Was the haul buy from an estate sale type thing I assume?
It was a gentleman that my husband knows. Unfortunately, he is sick and no longer mobile so him and his daughter were going to have an estate sale soon and asked us if we wanted to make a deal for everything "train" basically and we did. He had so much stuff. He had 1000's of spoons and all this jewelry he made out of a lot of it, other jewelry making supplies and items, massive amount of diecast, list goes on. I figured how often does a deal come along to get this amount of stuff & the quality? So I said yes, lets do it..lol.

We only had one other major haul even larger than this one, but it had models of planes, automobiles, military vehicles, etc, model train, dollhouse hobby shop accessories, many more buildings, various scales, anything you can think of that goes with trains and is sold a hobby shop..lol. I liked that haul is (still have a a trailer and half I haven't even unpacked yet) there is so many various items with various manufacturers & toy / hobby companies that are out of business or items that are not made any more at all, plus so many unique items. Anyways, these two have and are my favorite for sure. :)😊

And yes, I also , well I should say my husband does the estate thing and he knows what I want or I am looking for or just knows I would be interested in so he goes to those mostly. Besides, I work at a diner part time and the days they are held are Saturday and Sunday which are my busiest days at work so I can't attend. Last one I went to I was appauled, honestly.. to see two elderly women having a physical fight and all the rudeness, shoving & pushing, etc.. ughhhh... NOT for me. My anxiety is thru the roof! I don't mind the online auctions, that I can deal with..lol

Welcome to what some members consider to be the best railroad forum around.
Stop in to the ANPL Cafe and maybe give Mel a few pointers on his cooking.
A lot of very good info here in the different subjects from N scale to garden railways, engines and rolling stock to structures and scenery.
There are some very good modelers here and some, like me, who learn by osmosis, just by being exposed to the pictures and words shared here.
Thanks!! I am definitely looking forward to getting to know everyone better and sharing some stuff. Everyone has been so kind so far. Thanks again!!

Here are some pictures of some of the stuff I got in my last purchase. It was a Uhaul full. Just is some samples of what I got before I started to pack it all up to move it home. This is just a small amount of photos, there is so much stuff. As I unpack it I will be posting more pictures. Still figuring out how to use this forum and where to post this stuff. I haven't figured out how to post the pictures in "conversations" yet.

Dina
WOW! What a haul. Looks like mostly mid-grade to high quality items.

Welcome to our friendly forum. Lots of info here and it's all free. If you just want to BS about stuff railroad related or not, come visit the Coffee Shop if you have time.
Hey!! How are you? Been few weeks since I have been back on here.. work, life, etc. something always going on...lol
I am wondering if you could give me some references for Price guide books. Basically on prewar items all the way to modern/current models. Looking for the most recent price guide for O gauge Lionel / Marx, etc. Also looking for a good book on not just prices but also a couple good books with back story & information on the cars, engines, etc. Since I have a lot of O gauge right now, I do also have a ton of N scale & HO scales as well. Wondering if you could direct me?? Any help greatly appreciated.
I have so much inventory that my garage is full, my attic, office in my house, & trailers I have full also. My husband just bought me a "tiny Home" basically to be my new office and start moving it out of the house & also have work space now that is bigger than my current office. I am also looking to branch off on my own & not just sell on eBay or other platforms. I am going to be setting up my own website & online store. Business has grown so much in past few years I had to have more room.... hence "tiny Home" ..lol

Thanks!!

Dina

Welcome traingirl!

The question is............. Rare? Or Common?🤔
And the answer is: It all depends................. are you buying, or are you selling? :D👍
I have been buying a lot, now it is time to start selling...lol. I have been doing that all along since I have a online business. But I am now going to be setting up my own store & my own website. Trying to get away from ebay or at least not use them as much. I have grown quite a bit since I first started all of this & I do have many of my own customers from all over including eBay. A few of them pretty much only buy from me in the past year. I hate social media but I think I may need to have a page for my business to drum up new customers. I will list some on here too. I really like this forum and everyone is so helpful and friendly. I also recently decided to start my own collection & layout. Well once I start to dig my way out of cataloging & listing my inventory.
Oh, and about that previous question you answered Rare or Common?? LOL.... yea I have definitely learned alot over the past several years.. RARE seems to be everyone's favorite word to put in a listing title even though these "RARE" items seem to have hundreds of that RARE car..🤣
So I really do my research for sure.. Now, I consider something rare if it only had a small amount manufactured, or if I can only find one online or none. That is seems to be what the meaning actually means..lol

I am looking for the best current price guides for Lionel & many other companies, Prewar, Postwar, Modern, O gauge, N & HO scales also. There are so many out there I am not sure what to get. I am NOT going to pay for one of these sites online just to show me what a particular item sold for. I want to know the actual value. I also know that the condition of item matters, with box or without box, and so on. You get the drift..

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Dina

I am wondering if you could give me some references for Price guide books. Basically on prewar items all the way to modern/current models. Looking for the most recent price guide for O gauge Lionel / Marx, etc.
The Greensburg guides are the defacto standard for pricing and condition rating. Below is a link to the Lionel pocket version one. They make a full sized one that has a lot more pictures than the pocket one. They also make Flyer and Marx maybe others. Looks like they upped a new version this year. Even old ones are useful if you manually apply the cost of living / inflation to the given prices.
https://www.amazon.com/Lionel-Trains-Pocket-Price-1901-2023/dp/1627009353

The Greensburg guides are the defacto standard for pricing and condition rating. Below is a link to the Lionel pocket version one. They make a full sized one that has a lot more pictures than the pocket one. They also make Flyer and Marx maybe others. Looks like they upped a new version this year. Even old ones are useful if you manually apply the cost of living / inflation to the given prices.
https://www.amazon.com/Lionel-Trains-Pocket-Price-1901-2023/dp/1627009353
Yes, it's a good guide for pricing information. Everybody seems to understand the pricing portion.

Unfortunately, a LOT of folks don't seem to understand the "condition rating". These folks, when trying to sell stuff, frequently think that their items are 2 or 3 steps better than what they actually are. And therefore, have a tough time selling their items, if they sell them at all. I have to laugh at one online e-tailer, who rates some pre-war and postwar stuff as "good" and "very good", when in fact the items can be about half garbage and barely good enough for parts. But, I still buy things from them, as the prices can occasionally be commensurate with the REAL condition and not necessarily what they overstate it as in their descriptions.

None the less, the Greenberg price guides are still a good reference to have for O-gauge trains. Try and get the newest one available, or at least not more than a few year's old. I'd shudder the thought of getting a guide from the 1990's, and except for maybe the rarest of items, thinking that anyone would still get those kind of prices even at today's inflated dollars! :eek:

Back