New to here ,but not to model railroading

Daxcantrell

My name is Dax, and I have been involved in the hobby since I was about 12. But I have never got the chance to build a layout. I just have several different train sets that I set up and run and then put away. I've built a couple of dioramas in the past( over 20 years ago) but I am now tackling my first layout.
As I said, I have had a lot of different train sets, N, HO, On3, O 3 rail, And G. Two years ago I came across Lionel's" ready to run" battery-powered train sets. I've never liked the idea of battery power for model railroading, so I was skeptical. But they are cheap as hell, so I decided to buy the Pennsylvania flyer set. It was right before Christmas, so I sat it up around my tree( I usually use my LGB or Lionel classic 3 rail, depending on my mood) . I was really impressed with the quality of the whole set, especially for the price ( I believe I paid $79) . While I still don't like the idea of a battery power trains, these work really well and have quite a long run time. I'm still on the first set of batteries , through two christmas'
And I love the look of the track. It's all molded plastic, but the detail is excellent. I began thinking it would work well for a garden layout. I have always dreamed of a garden railroad, but I never had a house of my own, til now.

Over this winter I have decided , after thinking about it for 37 years lol, to build my first layout. And im doing it the only way I know how, the hardest way possible 😇. I will be using the Lionel track which is a little bigger than G, @ 2" between the rails. And I will be kitbashing my rolling stock from Lionel line of "ready to run" sets. I will be modeling in a scale that have ever seen modeled, 1" n2 it will be indoor and outdoor. The basement layout will run outside and around my house. I'm starting inside though. This winter ,ive completed about half of the bench work I will need and have started to lay track. I'm bashing the 2-6-2 "Pennsylvania flyer " into a 0-4-0 Porter, as my first locomotive. Sorry that this was such a long introduction, thank you to all who actually read all of it 🤦 this is what it looks like so far... 1710923346237230203027992196661.jpg17109233752391696065161753899999.jpg

Last edited:
Ahoy Dax!

Welcome aboard and I also recommend frequenting the Coffee Shop (ANPL Clubcar).

An excellent place to get your feet wet by interacting with the group.

I too am a newcomer to these forums, but hardly to model railroading - began with Lionel Toy Trains back in 1947-48 and . . .

Enjoy!

Tom in Missouri

Back