New Locomotive

I just bought a brand new Mehano Canadian National Steam Engine "Gold Bell" on ebay. Any comments?
[h=2][/h]
I believe that is a 2-6-0 camel back locomotive. Mehano makes a good line of value products. A bit short on details but it should run well and be reliable. I don't know any of the specifics of that exact model but I'll guess it picks up power from all 6 drive wheels. I've recommended Mehano before.

It's an 0-8-0.

182417664771_1.jpg

It's an 0-8-0.
182417664771_1.jpg
They must have multiple locomotives that they call "gold bell". I wonder if it is an upgrade line of their products?

Regardless, while I don't have a Mehano 0-8-0, I believe my comments on the 2-6-0 will still stand. Thinking about it a bit more the only complaints I would have against it is that it comes with horn hook couplers (easy enough to change) and RP .039 pizza cutter type wheels. Once again no big deal. I think it will serve you well.

What sort of observations would you like from us now that you have it in hand?

I don't have it in hand yet. I posted the question to get some opinions yay or nay on whether it was a decent loco or not and possibly hear from owners who have experience with the brand. I am also curious how old it might be. It looked like a fair price @$60.

Do you know who made the loco? This would be helpful in giving an opinion. It is a big switcher engine and looks like an IHC product to me; however, not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done some research and think you probably bought an IHC product, made by Mehano, a Slovenian Company. I have one of these locomotives and it is a really good runner. It pulls good and is quiet. I have converted mine to DCC and it was a fairly easy conversion. I also have a Heritage Proto 2000 0-8-0 which is all out scale specific in Northern Pacific livery with DCC and Sound. Comparing the two, side by side, there is a lack of detail on the Mehano loco and the Mehano has larger diameter drivers than the Proto 2K. There is a world of difference price wise, too. The P2K, at around $300.00 and I think I paid around $$90.00 for the IHC Mehano locomotive, new. I think you paid an O.K. price for what I consider to be a good looking and operating locomotive!

I don't have the loco yet but when it arrives, I would like to remove the Canadian National decals and replace them with New York Central. I have looked at various sites for model railroad decals but can't seem to find any for NY.

[FONT=&amp]Microscale's [/FONT][FONT=&amp]HO 87-0049 New York Central Lightning Stripe Scheme for NYC's Diesels also has "New York Central" in white lettering, likely in the size you want.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

I found This at [/FONT]
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Microscale-HO-NYC-Lightning-Stripe-Scheme-Diesels-p/msi-87-0049.htm There used to be a company called Champian Decals in Minot North Dakota; however, I don't think they are still in business. You can also find railroad specific decals at many of the RR historical societies, try the NYC>

Champ has been out of business for about 6 years now. They sometimes come up on eBay, but there is a debate over "fresh" decals. Sometimes, older decals are hard to use, the carrier has become brittle and fractures when you try to apply them. But others (I have used some that are 30 years old) apply with no problems at all.

My new loco came today! Beautiful engine. The box was stamped 2002, but was brand new, still in the wrappings. It went right to work. The only thing I had to do was change the tender's rear coupler from horn hook to knuckle. It is so smooth and quiet and pulls the train around with authority. I like the fact that the tender trucks are hot, so powering over switches and crossings is painless. It has plenty of detail and really looks good. I am very pleased. It was made in Slovenia 15 years ago.

This is the source:

http://theweebsite.com/trains/pctrain_09.html

I've done some research and think you probably bought an IHC product, made by Mehano, a Slovenian Company. I have one of these locomotives and it is a really good runner. It pulls good and is quiet. I have converted mine to DCC and it was a fairly easy conversion. I also have a Heritage Proto 2000 0-8-0 which is all out scale specific in Northern Pacific livery with DCC and Sound. Comparing the two, side by side, there is a lack of detail on the Mehano loco and the Mehano has larger diameter drivers than the Proto 2K. There is a world of difference price wise, too. The P2K, at around $300.00 and I think I paid around $$90.00 for the IHC Mehano locomotive, new. I think you paid an O.K. price for what I consider to be a good looking and operating locomotive!

Is your loco a smoker?

Nightwing, I don't know if mine smokes or not, I've never tried it. I don't like how model smoke looks; so, have no need.

Back