New Layout bench work is up, need help w/track plan & scenery

malletman

Alcohaulic
This was going to be a Marklin German theme layout, but I discovered a shortline in Michigan that has changed the course of things. The benchwork and table top is up, so I have to adapted to that. The width is 8 foot, with a 4 foot width but its narrowed in the middle to allow me access to the shelves on the rear wall. Also a 4x8 is only accessable on 1 side in my little room. An around the room set up isnt an option for me. On the right side is an 2 foot extension up to the entry door where I can put another industry to serve or an engine facility. The chosen prototype is the Lake State Railway with the power wearing the newest paint scheme. While thier std power is 6 axle SD40's rebuilt to -2 standards, the tight curves needed to get a complete loop(a personal requirement), will restrict me to their GP40-3 and MP15AC motive power. Control will be old school MRC throttle and block control. While I can fine tune brass engines to run like a fine swiss watch, I find DCC confusing and frustrating and sound in my small room is overwhelming, even on the lowest settings. I wear my headset hearing protection enough in life(I am autistic). My other short fall is in track planning and scenery/industry choosing. Here is a pic that shows most of the layout table. Mike the Aspie
Resized-20181230-164640-1192.jpg

Resized-20181230-164505-6255.jpg

Not sure what you are asking help on. Looking at the table top you have in place, not a whole lot of room for different choices in layout. You can move a track a couple inches one way or another but that's about it. Your restriction to the smaller GP locomotives is only natural due to the tight radius you will be confined to. This will certainly be an industrial switching layout with sidings shoe horned in where ever you can squeeze them without having rolling stock side swipe each other.
As for the power, DCC isn't all that tough. Don't let the myriad of CV options discourage you. You would really only need to be concerned with three of them to get you loco running with the number on the cab as the address. The added benefit is that you can watch and control your trains and all their functions from anyplace in the room using the handheld remote.

I have to adapted to that. The width is 8 foot, with a 4 foot width but its narrowed in the middle to allow me access to the shelves on the rear wall. Also a 4x8 is only accessable on 1 side in my little room. On the right side is an 2 foot extension up to the entry door. ... needed to get a complete loop
I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the pictures, but I think for a continuous loop that maximizes the "run", the best fit layout would be a variation of a water-wings type.

maybe something of this ilk.
malletman.jpg

Back