New layout 5x12...serious problem!

I think Im gonna cut it in half and try that...if that dont work then I can take it all apart and then redo it using glue in the screw holes...good idea, thanks!!

Also, here is what Im projecting sort of. I will be laying down 1/2" foam over the plywood and Im curious if the foam should stay on with the raised part or should it be just plywood...or does it matter? Projected layout.jpg

5x12 layout5.jpg5x12 layout6.jpg I got it in!! (thats what she said lol) I sliced er in half n it fit, but barely, so now off to HD I go to pick up some 1x6 to make a nice box frame around it that will cover the edge of the foam once its on there also!

Most people have the opposite problem, getting one out of the basement!
Sure makes me appreciate my walk out basement, I've hauled a lot of stuff in and out of it.
I like the trackplan, fits lots of running in the given space for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty sure that once I start the scenery, this will become a designated permenant fixture of the house. That might be a selling feature to some old timer who wants a ready made hobby!

Im pretty sure that once I start the scenery, this will become a designated permenant fixture of the house. That might be a selling feature to some old timer who wants a ready made hobby!

That's what I did to my house, built the ENTIRE basement into a layout!
WIN_20151011_185447.JPG a run down a 30 foot wall.
WIN_20151012_184445.JPGand another...
WIN_20151012_184454.JPGAND the 'end'! The future home of "Rock Ridge"! (real AND fake!) 499 sq feet! Took six months to wall the basement and build this monster! The M.C.U.!

Wow....am I ever envious!! I have a 14x28' room downstairs that I made an attempt to build an around the walls layout, but never even got half way...so I decided that it ight be better to start smaller...

5x12 layout7.jpg Got the foam down and both halves rejoined with a strip of 3/4 plywood on each side. Got the legs and all the bracing cut, just waiting for the glue to dry under the foam and then I can get it off the ground...

Old layout 1.jpgOld layout 2.jpg Here are a couple pics of my old layout that I started, but never finished. It was a total of 2x32' a 16' yard and dual mainline all wired in and I had my NCE powercab running it. I lost interest cause the benchwork was gettin to be a real PITA...so maybe this time with the 5x12' table, things will actually progress...

Wow....am I ever envious!! I have a 14x28' room downstairs that I made an attempt to build an around the walls layout, but never even got half way...so I decided that it ight be better to start smaller...

PERFECT! I cleaned and remodeled and built for six months before I ever ran a train but it's going to be worth it in the long run, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon! My motto is, "Build the BIGGEST table space (and spouse) will allow and 'grow' the track into it!"

Back