New layout 5x12...serious problem!

CbarM

HO all the way!
Hey guys, been a loooong time since I was here last, but I have run into a dilema. I decided to build a new layout the other day, got all the supplies for a walk around 5x12'. Today I got busy in my shop building the benchwork, got the plywood all screwed down to the 1x4 framework and was gonna haul it downstairs to glue the styrofoam down. I got to the door n it doesnt fit!!!!! I will post a pic here so you all can see what I have and I guess the best place to cut it so I can make it in the door and strait down the stairs...without compromising framework strenght...not sure what else to do here...

5x12 layout 1.jpg5x12 layout 2.jpg5x12 layout 3.jpg5x12 layout 4.jpg

Doesn't matter where you cut it, just add a 1x4 cross piece and screw the two sections together.

Being serious now. What is the horizontal distance from the top door to the back wall above the stairs? Over 12'? If so by how much?

How much clearance height above that doorway to the ceiling inside the landing?

What is the distance above the stairs (head clearance) @ 90deg to the staircase to the floor above?

What is the distance from that point on the staircase to the foot of the stairs? (floor level)

I would cut it down the center making 2 5'X6' tables add another cross member bolt it back together once downstairs and use a center leg on each side.

Take it apart as carefully as possible and BWAAAAhahahahahahahaha!

Omygodthisisthefunniesthingihaveeverheard!

Hey good to see you posting again!
So it doesn't fit width wise or length wise?
First thing I thought of was removing the stairs seeing it's an unfinished basement.
As has been said if it's not glued (or even if it is) cut it in two and reassemble.
A piece of board can join it together or a sturdy hinge with a removable pin.

That looks like a major Oops. Like Lynn mentioned, Just cut it like he said and it can be spliced back together once it is in the basement. ......

............................ Chet

Darned if I can see a problem "IF" the legs are not attached. Doorways are at least 6 ft high by 30 plus inches so lots of room for two people on the stairs to carry a 12' long by 5' high structure.
Maybe I'm missing something here
Willis

I think the problem is not so much the height or width but the angle needed to get it down (or up) the stairs. It looks as though there is plenty of clearance through the door way, just not enough verticle clearance once he needs to pivot it.

If it were me, I'd cut it flush with one of the cross members so you had one complete solid section, then add another cross member to the cut side. Once you have it were you want it, all you's then have to do is butt the two sections together and glue and screw them.

Luckily I didnt use glue, just #6 screws. I appreciate the replies guys, but I think the best idea here is for me to just take it all apart again and reassemble once downstairs. I cant get it past the wall above the stairs, its to long to tip upwards at the back to aim it down the stairs before it hits the top of the outside door frame. If I was to cut it into 2-5x6' pieces, I guess it wouldnt be any different if I was to screw a 12' 1x6 all the way along the outside afterwards...that actually might be better since I am using 1/2" foam on top and that would box it in nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind you may want to dissassemble this for what ever reason and your going to want to go back up those stairs.

Most times a 4x8 can be 'horsed thru'. My house design dictated that only boards of 12 foot or less could get down the stairs or I'da bought em as long as they sell em! Sorry bout the "bwahaha", just about shot coffee out my nose when I read that post this morning!

Building 'in place' may give you a bit more room to build in, a spur here, a return loop there... FILL IT!

Yea, I did some measuring a bit ago on the stairs, 5' of clearance at a 90* angle to the stairs is gonna be tight, so I dunno if I should cut it in half or ust take it all apart now. Im thinking that if I take it all apart and then reassemble it all, its gonna be pretty loose and not as solid as it is now...or am I worried about nothin...

Only take it down to 'manageable chunks' and muscle the pieces down as best ya can! If it is TOO wobbly move the screws (if you can) a little bit to get a 'fresh' bite, toss a dab of glue in the screw hole and OR use slightly bigger or longer screws and glue to stiffen it up. Just some things I would try to save from building the whole thing again with 'new' material.

Back