New DCC layout, command station opinion requested.

ChrisLivesey

Hi all, new to the forum and DCC railroading. Chris from Canada here. I'm setting up a new N scale DCC layout and my objective (unless anyone can persuade me otherwise) is to run with Digitrax and LocoNet. I intend to run 3 locomotives and 15 remote switches (lights and signals later), and at least for the switches, I've settled on four DS74s. Total track length is about 106' including yard, roundhouse and sidings. I think I have all the bus and feeder wiring figured out but I can't settle on a command station. I have a good laptop with JMRI already installed on it so, if my thinking is correct, I can go with either the Zephyr with the controller on board or go to a bigger command station i.e. DCS240+, which seems like overkill. I guess my intentions are to run the system via my iPad Pro or iPhone 14 with a suitably good app. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there is any reason to dissuade you from that objective. Digitrax is a fine product. I believe any of their systems will meet the needs you outlined.

I guess my only question is why do you want to use a $1000+ "phone" to control trains when there is a $100 product made specifically for that purpose?

I don't think there is any reason to dissuade you from that objective. Digitrax is a fine product. I believe any of their systems will meet the needs you outlined.

I guess my only question is why do you want to use a $1000+ "phone" to control trains when there is a $100 product made specifically for that purpose?
I see your point but after I've spent a bajillion dollars on the track, locos, stock, DCC, scenery etc., I'll save that $100 and use the iPad or phone that I already own. It also appeals to me that a friend and a mobile phone can participate (if I have that right).

OP wrote:
"I guess my intentions are to run the system via my iPad Pro or iPhone 14 with a suitably good app."

Well, in that case, you should consider what is absolutely the best "app" out there:
The FREE Roco z21 app.

You can try this right now "in demo mode".
Go to Apple's App Store

Search for "roco z21".
There are actually TWO z21 apps:
a. older one (red engine on a blue background)
b. newer one ("Z21" in white on charcoal background).

Download either or both.
Did I mention above that both are absolutely free?

You can run these "in demo mode" to see how everything works.
Of course, to actually run a train on the layout, you'll need a "hardware box".

Also, since you have an iPad, you can run TWO control cabs side-by-side with the iPad in horizontal orientation. I do this myself (but with an Android tablet). Download the z21 app, and try it in demo mode to see for yourself.

There are a couple of Roco hardware units.
The first is the black Z21. You probably don't want this -- too expensive (although there's currently a used one on ebay for $325).

The second is the white z21. It doesn't have all the ports and pizazz that the black one has, but it's "good enough for the rest of us". I have one myself.

Unfortunately, the white box version is hard to find -- you'll have to buy it from Europe, as I did with mine.

A possible source, for both the z21start (white box) AND the companion wifi modem which gives you wifi with it:

The shipping is a little high, but again, consider it as a package price, this will do what you need.
The only other thing you'll need is a cheap "converter plug" to adapt the Euro-style power block to USA style.
(The power block should work on both voltages)

Again, if you really want to run from the iPhone or iPad, the z21 app is what you're looking for.

It works fine with JMRI, too.
In fact, you can have JMRI up-and-running with the z21 hardware, and use both the iPad AND the iPhone with the z21 app, all at once.

(Also, the z21 app will work with the Digikeijs DR5000 and YaMoRC hardware controllers, but these are unavailable right now.)

Last edited:
OP wrote:
"I guess my intentions are to run the system via my iPad Pro or iPhone 14 with a suitably good app."

Well, in that case, you should consider what is absolutely the best "app" out there:
The FREE Roco z21 app.

You can try this right now "in demo mode".
Go to Apple's App Store

Search for "roco z21".
There are actually TWO z21 apps:
a. older one (red engine on a blue background)
b. newer one ("Z21" in white on charcoal background).

Download either or both.
Did I mention above that both are absolutely free?

You can run these "in demo mode" to see how everything works.
Of course, to actually run a train on the layout, you'll need a "hardware box".

Also, since you have an iPad, you can run TWO control cabs side-by-side with the iPad in horizontal orientation. I do this myself (but with an Android tablet). Download the z21 app, and try it in demo mode to see for yourself.

There are a couple of Roco hardware units.
The first is the black Z21. You probably don't want this -- too expensive (although there's currently a used one on ebay for $325).

The second is the white z21. It doesn't have all the ports and pizazz that the black one has, but it's "good enough for the rest of us". I have one myself.

Unfortunately, the white box version is hard to find -- you'll have to buy it from Europe, as I did with mine.

A possible source, for both the z21start (white box) AND the companion wifi modem which gives you wifi with it:

The shipping is a little high, but again, consider it as a package price, this will do what you need.
The only other thing you'll need is a cheap "converter plug" to adapt the Euro-style power block to USA style.
(The power block should work on both voltages)

Again, if you really want to run from the iPhone or iPad, the z21 app is what you're looking for.

It works fine with JMRI, too.
In fact, you can have JMRI up-and-running with the z21 hardware, and use both the iPad AND the iPhone with the z21 app, all at once.

(Also, the z21 app will work with the Digikeijs DR5000 and YaMoRC hardware controllers, but these are unavailable right now.)
Thanks for this, I'll certainly investigate.

Here's what the z21 app (the older one) looks like on a tablet, with 2 engine controls side-by-side:
z21 main.JPG

Freesco...

I know that the z21 apps (both the new and old ones) support the Roco z21 hardware (of course), and also:
- Digikeijs DR5000 (now out of production, but still show up now and then second-hand)
- YaMoRC "YD7100" (not released yet, delayed in production due to chip shortage)
- ZIMO (I think, not sure)

What is "ECoS"?
Is that ESU?
Not sure about that, my guess is... no. But I could be wrong.
If the hardware DOES support z21, you should see "the pathway" to that in the setup app for your hardware control box.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is about the Z21 app, doesn't appear to do and anything WiThrottle can't do, and it works with just about every system.

Are there circumstances where WiThrottle does not require JMRI? For example, my ESU ECoS connected to the ESU L.net Converter in turn connected to the Digitrax LNWI?

I have used WiThrottle with the LNWI, but can not tell you if it would work with ECoS and the L.net converter. I wish I new where my ESu Cab Control was, I would try it out. If you had a wireless router attached to your ECoS, wouldn't that allow for the use of WiThrottle? I know you can use the Mobile Control 2 with ECoS, and the Mobile Control 2 is just a WiFi throttle.

Back