My "retro" HO-scale layout!

Well, I modified the track plan and added another switch to connect one of the spurs!

file-94.jpg

file-95.jpg

file-99.jpg

file-101.jpg

file-102.jpg

file-103.jpg

I also decided to experiment with ballasting on the "permanent" sections of track on my layout.

file-114.jpg

file-115.jpg

Here's another decent use for ballast that will eventually be used on tracks...

file-106.jpg

Relocated used car lot.

file-107.jpg

Truck preparing to drop off a trailer for when a train with the piggyback flat car pulls in again.

file-108.jpg

The reason for that extra crossing signal is that it's facing a side road, for people that are about to turn right onto the crossing. I've seen some real-life railroad crossings set up like this.

Been a while, but here's some new pics!

file-168.jpg

file-169.jpg

The layout is set up so the outer loop is Block "A" and that inner siding near the supply house and truck terminal is Block "B." This way it is wired for two-train operation (one train at a time, as demonstrated in the Tyco Layout Expander System Manual.)

file-170.jpg

file-171.jpg

Note that some of the track has had the plastic roadbed removed, and is now nailed onto ballast. There is also a Life-Like coal tipple on the connected siding.

file-172.jpg

Tyco unloading box car set and pipe loader.

file-173.jpg

My control panel so far. On the left of the MRC power pack is a Tyco blocking controller switch to go between the A and B blocks, and on the right of the power pack is a Tyco Prestomatic button for the unloading box car.

file-174.jpg

file-175.jpg

Life-Like operating switchman and log-dump station.

file-176.jpg

On the left is a Life-Like Downtown Business Center building kit (Life-Like originally released it in the '70s and '80s as a bank.) On the right is a Tyco Lowe's movie theater with a custom marquee.

file-177.jpg

Bachmann Plasticville switch tower.

file-178.jpg

Tyco operating crossing signal; the lights don't work currently but the wind-up bell does.

file-179.jpg

file-180.jpg

file-181.jpg

file-182.jpg

Note the small fruit stand set up next to the stock pen.

file-183.jpg

Life-Like operating crossing gate.

file-184.jpg

Life-Like Town Church and Plasticville Post Office.

file-186.jpg

The spur line with the switch man currently isn't connected, but once I get another switch track, I will connect it and electrically separate it so it will have its own power to run a "switcher" locomotive on.

More new/updated pics of my layout...

file-2326.jpg

file-1019.jpg

file-421.jpg

file-1621.jpg

file-1338.jpg

file-1971.jpg

file-2078.jpg

file-796.jpg

file-1871.jpg

file-2388.jpg

file-496.jpg

file-509.jpg

file-424.jpg

file-1712.jpg

file-2128.jpg

file-1839.jpg

file-2201.jpg

file-1139.jpg

file-1588.jpg

file-820.jpg

file-483.jpg

file-2009.jpg

file-351.jpg

file-1736.jpg

I'm also getting a Proto-1000 Santa Fe F3A locomotive and a Tyco Santa Fe diesel switcher locomotive as well, and I also plan to get a Tyco freight unloading depot, one of their GP-20 locomotives (maybe the Chattanooga model) and one of those eight-wheel drive Santa Fe C-630 diesel locomotives that AHM, Tyco, Life-Like, etc. all rebranded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool retro layout. I am doing something similar but running nothing but vintage brass locomotives, older wood, diecast, brass and some early plastic rolling stock. I also have one of those Tyco crossings with the flashing lights. a bright boy or pinky eraser to the contacts for the lights, mine didnt flash when I first got it unless I held the contacts together with my pointy nose plyers. I am hoping to find another one and canablize it for its flasher so I can put one on the other side of the road like there should be. I have my lights wired to a seperate power supply so they are not dependant on track power for them to flash, so if you stop on the crossing, they keep flashing as long as its wound up. Keep up the great work, I love it so far. Mike

Back