My "retro" HO-scale layout!

wiley209

I have mentioned that I am both a (currently) budgeted model railroader, and that I also enjoy classic HO-scale train stuff (especially from Life-Like, Atlas, Tyco and Bachmann.) So I thought that for my basement model train layout I can use a lot of that stuff, yet still continuously update it for the new millenium. So far, I have my trains running on Atlas Code-83 True-Track (I'm not going to bother with Bachmann's E-Z track or Life-Like's Power-Loc track for the layout anymore, and I'm staying away from any of those other companies' brass and steel track sections), which I think turns out to be the most realistic roadbed track I've ever seen.
Because I will keep continuously adding onto the layout, currently not many things are permanently attached, except for some pieces of lichen. Here is what it currently looks like...

193600_1000.jpg

Full overview. In the rear I have some old Atlas Code-100 non-powered track to display any locomotives and rolling stock I am currently not using. The train I was running at the time these pics were taken consists entirely of Life-Like rolling stock. The lo-nose ATSF GP38-2 behind the lead locomotive is a non-powered "dummy" model, the "classic" way of modeling a double-header train! The grass is a Life-Like grass mat that was cut to fit and stapled onto the plywood.

193910_1000.jpg

Residential section. For now I also am using some of my brother's old Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars on the layout.

194231_1000.jpg

194321_1000.jpg

Life-Like modular stock pen. I plan to decorate a few of the cows and pics, and paint a few more of the included figures. Also note the train having a Life-Like bi-level auto carrier car.

194670_1000.jpg

The police station did need a bit of fixing up at the time this photo was taken. I plan to add some road to the layout as well.

194879_1000.jpg

Snap-Loc train station building kit that Life-Like includes with some of their train sets (like the "Rail Blaster" and "Freight Runner.")

195160_1000.jpg

Life-Like Downtown Business Center, and the Plasticville school building (I also added a couple school buses to the front for a nice touch!) I plan to install a small playground for the school as well...

195785_1000.jpg

195505_1000.jpg

Life-Like operating log dump station accessory.

195944_1000.jpg

Life-Like operating railroad crossing accessory. I recently replaced the rusted old steel rails with new nickel-silver rails, and it really made a difference. I may eventually motorize the gate and/or actually make the lights flash in the future...

196190_1000.jpg

Used car lot next to an apple orchard.

I am planning on expanding the tracks so that the layout will match the track plan the Tyco Track Layout Expander was designed for, and then eventually expand THAT even more. I also got a Tyco operating crossing signal (with flashing lights and wind-up bell) that I will replace the bulbs in (I ordered a couple of red Model Power grain-of-wheat bulbs that run on the proper voltage), and I also plan to replace the bulb that came with the Bachmann flashing oil tank seen in the first picture (any idea on where I can find replacement bulbs for those?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Wiley,

Looks like you know exactly what you are looking to accomplish in your layout. I haven't seen some of those things in years! Took me right back to when I too
collected all the 'vintage' stuff. Thank you for sharing with the forum what you have done so far. I look forward to seeing some more of your work in the future. Nicely done.

Wiley, I really like all the variety of scenery on your retro layout......and after seeing the logs on the forest lumber company flat cars.....I feel hungry for a slim-jim. :)

Mike

Yes, I recognize most of those buildings from the 60's, and 70's. I had alot of them back when I was a kid, and still have a few now. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Wiley,
Thanks for posting your photos. I like your layout and it brought back a lot of great memories about my first layout in the early 50's. It was Lionel O27 and Plasticville buildings on a 4x8 piece of plywood painted green with "grass" sprinkled on. To this day, I still like that look. Thanks again for the memories.
Tom

Update time!

I'm installing some more track on the layout. Currently I have the track plan from the Tyco Track Layout Expander in mind. Today I got some more straight 9" sections and 18" curves, and the rerailers and 3" straights should come in tomorrow. I also have "temporary track" (old Code-100 track) set up on the switch area, representing that the track is under construction (some of the sections aren't joined together.)

196604_1000.jpg

The Snap-Loc train station was re-located, along with the Plasticville gas station. Note the Life-Like lighted yard tower in the background (I have a few Life-Like power packs currently to operate them; I plan to eventually upgrade to an MRC power pack of some sort to operate the trains, but the Life-Like ones are also useful for the accessories!)

196834_1000.jpg

197066_1000.jpg

There's a temporary bumper here in place of the future 3" straight section. A meat refrigerator car parked behind the Life-Like General Store building kit. Also note the passed-out worker figure in the foreground :p

197168_1000.jpg

The Tyco operating crossing signal accessory. I ordered new red grain-of-wheat bulbs (from Model Power) because the current bulbs are burnt out. The bell works fine, though. I also plan to get a curved crossing grade to put in that section of Code-83 track near it (the True-Track roadbed wouldn't fit in that kind of setup; I may move things around once I get the new True-Track pieces in.)

197490_1000.jpg

Overview of the layout. I might permanently attach the outer loop of track to the plywood.

197780_1000.jpg

From another angle. There is a Pikesville Junction train station from Life-Like next to the Tyco crossing.

198070_1000.jpg

Train passing through the residential part of the layout. Behind the dummy GP38-2 locomotive is a Tyco box car (Railbox), but the rest of the rolling stock is Life-Like. I'm thinking of getting a BNSF locomotive of some sort (or I could also just simply put a white "BNSF" underneath the cab number or even replace the "Santa Fe" on the side with "BNSF," like on some real red/silver SuperFleet locomotives.)

198186_1000.jpg

The train passes through Pikesville Junction.

Hopefully in the future, I can set up my layout using this sort of track plan:
198482_1000.jpg

Until I begin using DCC controls and engines, I can just make do with more than one power pack and those plastic insulating rail joiners designed for that purpose.

Wiley, please pardon me for noticing the amazing rock walls down in your man-cave there. I think they enhance the whole experience! Nice updates too.

Mike

I feel like I just watched an episode of Classic Toy Trains on RFDTV. Nice. I have a friend who has an S scale layout with a lot of the old AF operating accessories. A lot of similarities, just smaller.

Funny, I'm hungry for a Slim Jim too.:p

Wiley - I like it. I also see a number of buildings I had on my childhood layout, have on my current layout or awaiting a future project. Nothing wrong with 'repro' in my book. Perhaps 'classis' is even a better term!

Wiley, please pardon me for noticing the amazing rock walls down in your man-cave there. I think they enhance the whole experience! Nice updates too.

Mike

Could almost do a Mt Rushmore in there eh. Looks like good, laid back fun.

That ubiquitious '37 Cord "coffin nose" sedan seems to be hiding out in that last pic.

More updates...

DSCN0353.jpg

I'm still waiting to get a few more 9" straight Code-83/True Track sections, but until I do I just have a Code-100 snap track section in place, and am using that as a temporary siding.

DSCN0354.jpg

Freight cars parked at the stock pen.

DSCN0355.jpg

The siding also has a delivery platform for the general store. The Tyco crossing signal has been moved to over there.

DSCN0356.jpg

More freight cars. I also installed fences around the Vollmer and Bachmann houses, due to them being next to tracks.

DSCN0358.jpg

I recently outfitted a couple of my engines, including the lead GP38-2 hi-nose ATSF locomotive here, with knuckle couplers! They get the job done pretty well. I also made the ATSF lo-nose GP38 dummy designed so one end has a knuckle coupler, and the other has a horn-hook coupler.

DSCN0359.jpg

The train passes through the Life-Like train station.

DSCN0360.jpg

The crossing signal here is a Life-Like scenic light-up. The lights do not flash, but merely stay on steady, and it doesn't only come on when the train passes.

DSCN0361.jpg

DSCN0362.jpg

Note the Life-Like lighted yard tower operating accessory in the background.

DSCN0364.jpg

DSCN0365.jpg

DSCN0366.jpg

One of two rerailer track sections I purchased for the layout.

DSCN0367.jpg

Lone Union Pacific caboose sitting on the siding.

DSCN0368.jpg

I plan to install a playground behind the school.

Like I said, I do plan to fasten down the outer loop of track using track nails or something some time in the future, mostly just the curves, as I plan to probably install more switches and sidings in the forseeable future, as the Tyco Track Layout Expander manual describes (I purchased a copy of that as well for ideas :D )

Current overviews of my layout:
file.jpg

file-1.jpg

Still waiting for my extra 9-inch True-Track sections to arrive so I can replace that Code-100 section.
I'm also planning on putting down a road for the vehicles. The residential area and near the supply house I might use "earth" ground cover glued to the grass mat, like on some of Life-Like's model railroad stock photos of their more elaborate train sets, like the Double Train Express, City Express or Mountain Run:
04330000021430.gif

The city area, I could use strips of cardboard painted the appropriate colors, then glued onto the grass mat and the edges blended with green ground cover material.

Thank you for sharing your progress. The sight of the life-like box at the bottom of your post reminded me of seeing that same shaped box under the tree when I was about 14 years old....:cool:

Thank you for sharing your progress. The sight of the life-like box at the bottom of your post reminded me of seeing that same shaped box under the tree when I was about 14 years old....:cool:

Same, except I was twelve, and the box looked like this:
5917583_f520.jpg

Lots of fun, except the included power pack didn't work. No matter; I just hooked up a spare remote/receiver power pack from Life-Like's "Supertrain" radio-control train set and it did the job just fine :D

I got a bit more True-Track for my layout, and i also bought another pair of terminal joiners and some plastic insulator joiners from the local hobby shop for when I prepare the two-train configuration and get an Atlas Selector for blocking, along with some "earth" ground cover material. Here's how the layout currently looks:

file-8.jpg

file-9.jpg

For this photoshoot, I had my steam locomotive hauling the freight train! (Life-Like PRR 0-4-0 with tender, the newer version with a cowcatcher on the front.)

file-10.jpg

The new dirt road so far.

file-12.jpg

file-13.jpg

file-14.jpg

Accident scene! I also plan to build a fire station for the layout (probably Life-Like's Hampden fire house)...

file-15.jpg

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/wiley207/railway/file-5.jpg[/IMG
The space next to the church is currently being used as a vacant lot until I put a new building there...

[ATTACH=full]93631[/ATTACH]
Of course I had to put fences around the houses to avoid trespassers on the tracks. :p

[ATTACH=full]93632[/ATTACH]
Train passing over the suburban two-track crossing. I recently installed crossing grades in this area due to a road crossing the track here. One section has the entire grade glued onto the ties; the other has it only glued on one section due to the crossing being on two sections.

[ATTACH=full]93633[/ATTACH]
The train is now parked at the station...

At this rate, with the way it's coming along, I may have to write an article somewhere about doing the Tyco Layout Expander System plan using Atlas True-Track!

I'm also planning on putting down a road for the vehicles. The residential area and near the supply house I might use "earth" ground cover glued to the grass mat, like on some of Life-Like's model railroad stock photos of their more elaborate train sets, like the Double Train Express, City Express or Mountain Run:

The city area, I could use strips of cardboard painted the appropriate colors, then glued onto the grass mat and the edges blended with green ground cover material.

One of the common ways of making streets and roadways described in several vintage model railroading "how to" books and articles, was to use Illustration board painted "grimey black". Illustration board is available in many art supply stores like Michaels. Its thicker than poster board and takes paint well. For your city buildings you can cut the road along with the foundations and sidewalks of your buildings so that the buildings sit on top of the pavement level rather than below street level. I built a (somewhat) "retro" lift off section for the rebuild of my layout. I used the illustration board method for the streets, but used more contemporary plastic sidewalks from Smalltown USA and from Walthers. The Smalltown USA sidewalks placed flat on top of the illustration board gives the right depth for the curb and another thin sheet of illustration board under the city buildings will bring their elevation up to sidewalk level.
You can, of course, use a layer of illustration board to make your sidewalks and curbs as well (instead of the plastic pieces I used),to complete the "retro" look.
223495_185149364865455_3761069_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are for when I put a tarp over the layout when it's not going to be used for a while.

I also recently re-did the track plan, because I found the Tyco Layout Expander set plan a bit dull after a while. I am working on doing THIS, which is also open for expansion:
othertrackplan_zps65fa59f8.jpg

Here is my latest overview:
DSCN0487.jpg

I had also gotten an MRC Tech 4 280 power pack as a Christmas present from my old man, and it really helps improve performance and realism on my layout!

file-27.jpg

I also practiced with doing drilling and parallel wiring ala demonstrated in my Tyco Layout Expander System manual, so I can have more than one scenic light-up running off the main power pack. In this case, the scenic railroad signal in the foreground and the Life-Like "Milltown Switchman." Once I get a replacement bulb for my Bachmann flashing storage tank, I will wire that up to it as well.

file-28.jpg

Yep, I decided to use a bit of my old Power-Loc track that came with my Freight Runner train set with one of the sidings (they're still "under construction," but now I have some True-Track sections connected. I'm not sure with the other spur if I should get one of those plastic True-Track bumpers, or a regular Atlas Code-83 bumper and install that onto the track instead? (I do still sometimes use Power-Loc; in fact I have a 47x38" oval in my room that I use for testing or breaking in new locomotives before putting them on my layout!)

Been a while since I showed off here. Here is a more recent overview of the layout:

file-57.jpg

file-58.jpg

file-59.jpg

New platform for my controls and tools, and any additional switches I may install. Note who is watching the action... ("Naw, that's too small for you," Pokey is saying.)

file-25.jpg

Billboard mounted on a Walthers Cornerstone building kit. I like it because it kinda reminds me of some of the shops in my hometown...

file-30.jpg

file-43.jpg

I used some of my old Power-Loc track for one of the under-construction sidings that also uses the Switchman. That Life-Like F7 also had knuckle couplers installed.

file-44.jpg

Bachmann action depot that needs repairing (I think a wire needs to be re-soldered...)

file-47.jpg

I relocated the general store to that spur line.

file-50.jpg

Check out the custom marquee I added to the Lowe's movie theater...

file-52.jpg

file-61.jpg

More upgraded couplers.

file-62.jpg

Tyco piggyback flat car!

file-63.jpg

Model Power crossing signals. I plan to wire them up once I get a Walthers crossing signal controller...

file-64.jpg

Truck terminal that came with the piggyback flat car.

file-65.jpg

file-67.jpg

file-68.jpg

This is eventually going to be replaced with an operating crossing gate of some sort...

file-69.jpg

The PRR steam locomotive parks at the main station...

Back