My Model Railroad Rules

tomstockton

Tom Stockton
My Model Railroad Rules

Preface: I found this on the Model Railroader Forums. The topic question was on NKP MOW colors, and found this in a gentleman named Rick's signature line. This was dated February 13, 2008. It so PERFECTLY sums up what I believe should be the rules on every model railroad. So, with a tip of the hat to Rick, I present:

MY MODEL RAILROAD RULES

Rule 1: This is my railroad.

Rule 2: I make the rules.

Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome, but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

It's very simple, really. I spend my money and my time, and use the proceeds, as I see fit. Nobody else. The social part of our forum and hobby is when we seek input. Then, we should be gracious enough to both consider and to be grateful for whatever feedback and advice we get, regardless of from whom. If a person who resembles the nether orifice of his alimentary tract insists on making it a big deal and persists in decrying my efforts, I simply ignore him or inform him that I am not going to engage him in any further discussion. Then, I stick to it and let him prate on as he wishes, but without my involvement.

I agree with these rules. Now I have not been modeling RR that long. Only a couple of years as a matter of fact. I have very very little knowledge of how real prototype railroads work, signaling, way bills, train orders and so on. I have only one mainline BNSF running through my area, no industrial sidings to speak of so I have made my entire RR from my own ideas. I have learned tons of information here and other forums, to which I am very thankful, and will apply some operations to my world of the PP&LE RR (Papa & Leon/Evan RR) as time goes by. But first and for most it is our world and I will continue to build it as I see it in my mind.

I used to have these posted on my layout down in Mobile. There were a total of 10, but I can't remember any others right now. I have greatly mellowed over the years except for Rule 1 and Rule 2.

Rule 1. It is my Railroad and not yours. If you can't get over that leave.

Rule 2. Nitpickers, please leave fingers in the box by the door. You can retrieve them when you leave.

Rule 3. Keep in mind, this is a benevolent dictatorship, and I'm the dictator. Don't upset me, or this will be the last time you will visit.

Rule 4. Suggestions on how to do something on anything that is already complete, is a waste of your breath.

Rule 5. Legitimate suggestions will be evaluated on their merits. The other 90% will be ignored out right.

Rule 10. If you have a problem with these rules, see rule 1.

I've been modeling for about 8 months. I don't expect any 8 month-olds to be making any rules, but here is what I have in mind.

1. Respect
2. Hands off
3. Ask First
4. You can make suggestions and give advice, but be nice about it.

I'm sure over the years that I will come up with more.

Back