my H0 layout

other then most layouts I see here, as well as on other forums, my layout doesn't have a name (yet?) but I do have some pictures.
the layout is still under construction so not everything that has been planned is here and there also is no scenery yet.

there is some track though, the shadow station is build and most of the mainline is also in place.
img0148j.jpg

the locomotive we see on the left side of this picture has never ran, it misses some parts and always has since before I got it.
img0151s.jpg

A main line, needs a main station:
img0152pn.jpg

this will later on form the outer ring of the main line, as well as serve as a parade track:
img0153u.jpg

overview of the spiral going to the shadow station:
img0157mn.jpg

incoming tracks on the shadow station:
img0159cnz.jpg

I am currently using the shadow station as sort of a storage area for the tracks, these boxes will get a other place when the layout is done:
img0160it.jpg

and this is the spiral seen from under the main line:
img0158dx.jpg

on the picture above we can see the controls a bit, but this picture gives a better view on them:
img0147qr.jpg

we're seeing a Fleischmann DC control unit, two Roco NRMA/DCC Handy's (the central is under the layout) and a Marklin Systems Mobile station which is for digital operation of the AC models.

the layout will also be getting a Trix Express line, that is this stuff:
img0150zs.jpg

and yes, this is a 3-rail system, but no, it's no AC.

this is for the currently planned locomotive depot:
img0154j.jpg

and there may not be any trains on the tracks, but that doesn't mean there aren't any at all:
img0155y.jpg

bit more:
img0156e.jpg

and a few more:
img0163k.jpg

and more:
img0164i.jpg

and more:
img0166tp.jpg

and last but suddenly not least:
img0165mo.jpg

the long gray marklin box is a ATSF F7 A-B-A for AC digital.
but I do want to replace the decoder and motors in it, it has two 3-star class motors and I want to use two or even just one five-star class motors and a ESU LocPilot MFX decoder.
other%20then%20most%20layouts%20I%20see%20here,%20as%20well%20as%20on%20other%20forums,%20my%20layout%20doesn%27t%20have%20a%20name%20%28yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice start there foxofinfinety. Looks like it is going to be very active layout. I am curious about the track in the first few pics, it has something in the center of the ties. I have never seen that before.

I was going to ask the same thing... almost looks like teeth for gears ??? Also I think its intresting that I see alot of Modlers from over seas always seam to have a few North American locos and rolling stock. On the other hand I see that very few Americans will have locos that are only found outside North America. Or Is it just me????

Nice collection, will be a great start!
As for the dots on the ties, those are power contacts, sort of like O scale three rail I believe?

I like how your switches are laid out, it really draws the viewer in. :)

And yeah, I was wondering about those bumps too. 3-rail?

Rico is indeed right about the "bumps" on the tracks.
they are most closely compared to the 3rd rail on Lionel tracks, as they have the same function.

but, other then lionel tracks, the other two rails are isolated of each other, the "3rd rail" is only powered if I run with AC models.
if you look on the picture with the controls you'll see 6 green switches, those change which of the actual control units provides power to the tracks.

they are made like that rather then as a actual 3rd rail as a actual 3rd rail would stand out more.
they do have one big drawback, the contact under the locomotive for the 3rd rail mostly looks like a metal ski, but these contacts are lower then the rail, so the contacts get higher at the turnouts to lift the glider over the rail, but as some US models are rather low, they don't make it over the contacts.

The tracks are produced of the famous german producer MÄRKLIN and are designated as 'K-Gleis'(=K-Track).

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks Good
The only thing I would suggest is you try a train out on that helix. That looks like a pretty hefty incline. How much of an incline is it?

Looks Good
The only thing I would suggest is you try a train out on that helix. That looks like a pretty hefty incline. How much of an incline is it?
I have absolutely no idea, but all trains make it just fine.

and all means "even the 40 year old Fleischmann locomotive that barely moves"....
it looks a lot steeper on the picture then IRL though.

On the other hand I see that very few Americans will have locos that are only found outside North America. Or Is it just me????
actually, you're right, but the reason is quite simple though.

American models are cheaper, add shipping costs to that and most would find importing models from outside America way to expensive.

the other way around, though, the models cost less, add shipping costs to that and it doesn't really make much difference in price.
in fact, import models are sometimes even cheaper then non-import models are.

thanks, I still need some extra wood boards before I can go on though.

currently i want to add the outer ring/parade track and then add the N-scale line and Trix Express lines.
and possibly a two-rail DC line for the US models, as they tend to get stuck on the center contacts of the marklin tracks.

some progress has been made over time, and the first bit of US traks have been laid out.

the tracks I use for the US models are Atlas code 83, I intended to run on the Märklin tracks only, but the US locomotives won't make it over the contacts for the 3rd "rail" on turnouts.
img0330o.jpg

the tracks will be laid out here as well, the one flexable track there is not actually laid out, but rather laid aside, so it won't be in the way.

here is a nice picture of the beginning of the station, it will be two continuing tracks and two will be sidings.
img0333nz.jpg

and then a bit of a closer view of the tracks:
img0332hc.jpg

there will only be one terminal track here, the other is used to see how it fits with lengt, some regular straight tracks have been ordered but haven't arrived yet so this was a temporary solution.

and here is a overview of how things currently are:
img0331ex.jpg

all I can say is WOW. I wish I had the space (and an understanding spouse) LOL. Can't wait to see when you start to detail it.
-Art

I hope you keep updating us as things continue to progress. Thanks so much for sharing, and making me envious.

well, no new photo's but I did make some progress.

the US tracks are now a full round so I can run with them.
but the wiring does have to be re-done later on, it works but it's not very neatly done, and it was mostly wired so that it would run so I could also test the tracks.

I also now have a laptop to use for controlling the layout, yet I still need to get the interface from the DCC central to the laptop, and I need to see what software I will use.

I've been gone from here for a bit, but I didn't stop working on he layout, so I made some progress.

main station's for the US-models (I'll referring to the Atlas lines further on) (H0), Trix Express (H0) and MiniTrix (N):
img0020fl.jpg

the N-scale is my sisters layout, I only have H0, 0 and G.

this section can be rotated to a vertical position to reach the atlas tracks behind it.

the mainline for Atlas and Trix Express:
img0021cu.jpg

also got some extra trains since my last post here:
img0022jh.jpg

and yes, I am aware that the UP never had this type of locomotive, and even know that UP 806 is a EMD GP38-2, but it does it look nice.

main locomotive depot for the Märklin lines:
img0023rq.jpg

the bottom bit of track is for maintenance and testing.

side-line station for the Märklin lines and a bit more track from the Atlas and Trix Express mainlines:
img0024pk.jpg

the red/yellow box is a Hornby "hamley's 2011" car, since I was in oxford and London last summer, as the model suggests, I got it at hamley's :D

and a small comparison:
img0025zz.jpg

ltr: MiniTrix, Trix Express, Atlas.
the trix Express is 3-rail, but no, its not AC, Trix Express used this to allow two trains to run independent on one track, even though they are analog.
sadly Trix Express is not manufactured anymore.

the locomotive shown is a Trix Express V100 (first model, with 2 powered axes, later models had all four powered)

also recently aquired is this, which is the orange/blue box shown in pictures 4 and 5:
img0727us.jpg

NS (nederlande Spoorwegen, not Northfolk Southern...) 232 "Sik".
it may be small, but its one of the strongest locomotives I have :cool:

and a better look at the hamley's car:
img0645tq.jpg

its scale is a bit off, since its 00, so a bit larger then the rest of the cars.

Back