My first paint job...

Sweet-Chuck

My 9 yr old son and I spend most of the time with the trains, so I decided to paint this old UP loco and caboose with some girly colors for my 7 yr old daughter. Here are some pics of the progress so far.

Attachments

• 2011-12-05 19.24.14.jpg
    2011-12-05 19.24.14.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 238
You know what you should do? Put pink ribbons on it for breast cancer awareness... just a thought. Paint looks good though. Have you thought of any possible decals yet or how you might letter it?

lettering

Well...i have some glittery stickers in mind...and was going to letter it with" Glamour Rail Line, Lady Freight Co. Or similar. Thanks for the compliment...

Interesting color combination. Looks pretty good. A nice way to spend quality time with your kids. Reminds me of the time Lionel was marketing to girls with trainsets in pastel colors. Don't know what the overall result was but at a recent train show a club had a modular layout. I spotted 3 middle age women with club name tags who were operating the layout and from the conversation between them it was obvious they knew what they were doing. From that I gather the Lionel marketing idea had some level of success.

While a pink loco and caboose look good in this modern age keep in mind that the "Lady Lionel" was a disaster for Lionel. Most girls I knew growing up that wanted anything to do with trains liked them just as they looked and not colored a bunch of pretty colors. My fiance loved the grungy grimy appearance and that's what she demanded.

"My fiance loved the grungy grimy appearance"
Oh boy Jeffery, you really left yourself open on that one..........................

That is a neat paint scheme Chuck, looks like something a railroad might actually come up with!

Oh boy Jeffery, you really left yourself open on that one..........................

Nothing says "I love you" more than Walschaerts Valve Oil after shave. And for hair that will stay in place all day use Journal Box Pomade, the #1 choice of brakemen everywhere. :D :D :D

.......... with all due respect to Jeffery and apoligies to the orignal poster.

Not really. She liked trains as they appeared in the real world, dirty and hard working. In her own words, shiny pretty trains were for children.

Jeffrey was right in that Lionel took a bath on the "pink train". While that $900 dollars may seem high, there are so few of them left, the last prices I saw on the TCA site, and this was several years ago, was in the land of wowOwow. I'm no longer a member, so can't check prices, but the prices I saw were $25,000 for an original, unwrapped in the box!

The seller got his price!

Well, I can say that I had no idea about other pink trains out there. I only wanted to make something girly for my daughter! I should have some more pics coming in the next couple of days.

First Paint Job

Well, the lettering isn't quite exactly what I was thinking...but I was afraid to do it myself so I had my wife do it. (had a sharpie marker/paint pen to use).
However, I know my girl will love it, as her initials are C.J.:)

Anyway...will have to invest in some dry rub decals for the next one.

I will get the loco up soon

#2011 On Her Inaugural Run in New Color Scheme

I decided to let my daughter decide if she wants stickers or glitter on it. But alas, put it back together, ran it on the main line a few minutes and wrapped it up.

I can see where a decent air brush would come in handy, as well as some reference materials when reworking or detailing.....however, that will have to wait for another day.

Over all, not bad for the first time!:)

Chuck

Those are looking good, especially for your first go-around. And they can only get better from here.

Her could be a little inspiration from a proto-railroad. Not around here, by any means, but still the right colors for her.

[URL="http://www.railpictures.oops[/URL]

Folks,

I'm not one to cry wolf, but this has now happened to me twice on two different computers and two different operating systems. Visiting the site, I get the pop-up block warning, all well and good, but then my browser shuts down and restarting brings up the XP/VISTA/WIN 7 Antivirus 2012 (pick your O/S) "screen" which requires you to "activate" their software as it's found all sorts of infections. Make no mistake, this is malware of the highest, and most difficult order. It adds registry keys to all your .exe entries to redirect all programs to its compiler, effectively locking down your computer. The expectation is that you enter your credit card number to purchase their software...

I don't know if it's one of their ads as I block their pop-ups, or if one of the pop-ups has the ability to run in the background, but like I said, this has happened twice now. Too be fair, I have been to their site a lot of other times with no issue whatsoever, I just feel fair warning is in order. I will not be visiting their site again...

Back