MTH 2-6-6-6 Allegheny

GN.2-6-8-0

I see MTH is bringing out a H8 Allegheny. anyone have any information one just when this brute is do at dealers?
Have seen a price of $649
Also assume they will skyrocket like their Triplex did once it hit the open market.
Lucky for me I have 2 already' the latest release of the Rivarossi H8 and one of the mid 80s release's brass units by Key.

I also have the new Rivarossi H8 that came out last year. And I absolutely love it. No idea when MTH is available, but it sure sounds expensive.

I have the first sound Rivarossi H-8 issued in 2006. It is well detailed, runs like a top, and has been very reliable. It will run you about $250 less than the MTH version. It has traction tires.

Yeeeeepppp...

StackH8signaltowsmokedesk.png

old thread. but I just picked up a MTH H8 Allegheny this week off Ebay. Got it new in box for $390 not bad considering the MSRP... This is a great looking locomotive and hope it pulls as good as it looks

old thread. but I just picked up a MTH H8 Allegheny this week off Ebay. Got it new in box for $390 not bad considering the MSRP... This is a great looking locomotive and hope it pulls as good as it looks
You'll have to post a review for us of your new Allegheny,there have not been many on the MTH version of this iconic brute.

Surly

To start off this is my First MTH locomotive purchase. Out of the box its impressive to see such a large scale looking loco. in my opinion the loco is just as nicely detailed as a Broadway, Brass or other high end steam mfg. Its Heavy, the boiler ,frame and tender are all made from die cast metal. It has nice metal details such as the bell and hand rails that you can tell are not just painted plastic. Sprung drives, Smoke, lighted number boards, cab light and dim able headlight. each set of drivers articulate with ease and both seam to be powered by a single motor. The rear most driver has a traction tire and it also seams as most of the locos weight is centered over the rear set of drivers putting most of the pulling power from that set. the loco to tender connection is rather nice in my opinion. It simply as plastic/metal two prong draw bar with 2 positions to set how close the tender follows the loco. this 2 prong set up has no wire harness it simply uses the prongs for communication between loco and tender.
I have not done a draw bar pull test but I have been able to pull about 80 32' coal cars with it and it still had some more left. Not bad for this beast.

Over all the performance is very good. Smooth running and I enjoy the smoke and sounds of it.

a few things that I did not under stand is why MTH still does not fully follow the DCC function mapping. I keep having to look online to see what each "F" button does. I know they have their own DCS and thats fine but I think its been clear that DCC has been the standard for a while. It would be nice to map out your own or switch between DCC and DCS standards.
the other issue was that my loco new in the box had a bad traction tire. No big deal as I contacted MTC with a photos of the new loco with the faulty wheel showing it had no use. The reply I got was that the wheel was going to cost me about another $20 with shipping. I kinda felt like it was a poor way to handle a brand new loco. I would be happy to pay for shipping for a replacement understanding that it may have just been overlooked when built but to ask a owner to pay more for a factory default issue. im not so sure about that.

over all its a great looking and running loco. I hope it serves me will in the years to come.

Surly

To start off this is my First MTH locomotive purchase. Out of the box its impressive to see such a large scale looking loco. in my opinion the loco is just as nicely detailed as a Broadway, Brass or other high end steam mfg. Its Heavy, the boiler ,frame and tender are all made from die cast metal. It has nice metal details such as the bell and hand rails that you can tell are not just painted plastic. Sprung drives, Smoke, lighted number boards, cab light and dim able headlight. each set of drivers articulate with ease and both seam to be powered by a single motor. The rear most driver has a traction tire and it also seams as most of the locos weight is centered over the rear set of drivers putting most of the pulling power from that set. the loco to tender connection is rather nice in my opinion. It simply as plastic/metal two prong draw bar with 2 positions to set how close the tender follows the loco. this 2 prong set up has no wire harness it simply uses the prongs for communication between loco and tender.
I have not done a draw bar pull test but I have been able to pull about 80 32' coal cars with it and it still had some more left. Not bad for this beast.

Over all the performance is very good. Smooth running and I enjoy the smoke and sounds of it.

a few things that I did not under stand is why MTH still does not fully follow the DCC function mapping. I keep having to look online to see what each "F" button does. I know they have their own DCS and thats fine but I think its been clear that DCC has been the standard for a while. It would be nice to map out your own or switch between DCC and DCS standards.
the other issue was that my loco new in the box had a bad traction tire. No big deal as I contacted MTC with a photos of the new loco with the faulty wheel showing it had no use. The reply I got was that the wheel was going to cost me about another $20 with shipping. I kinda felt like it was a poor way to handle a brand new loco. I would be happy to pay for shipping for a replacement understanding that it may have just been overlooked when built but to ask a owner to pay more for a factory default issue. im not so sure about that.

over all its a great looking and running loco. I hope it serves me will in the years to come.
Trent, if it is a Protosound 3 Enhanced decoder, you can remap functions to where you want them. Decoder Pro is best for this, but you can do it by changing bits in the CVs.

It is a proto sound 3

That's great to know because I want to remap it to standard dcc layout. Thanks for the tip.
If you set CV52 to 1, and hear the whistle toot, it is the enhanced version. That setting changes BEMF from scale mph to PWM.

Back