Model RR mags

trainsareme

I have been a subscriber for years (back in the 70s). Anyway I'm finally getting back to my trains only this time I'm doing n gauge using bachmann ez-track system and I'm very very disappointed. I'm still using DC since that's all I know. their switch controllers don't work, out of 10, 7 have failed. I now using their switches with atlas track controllers I have had since the left 70s early 80's and they work fine. I'm not crazy about the new look that MR has, too much DCC for us old guys. Dont want to pour more money into it yet.

Yeah, back in the seventies, block control, rotary switches, throttles tethered at best, had to stop your train every time you moved your throttle to another outlet. When DCC came out we were all ready to go, we did a group buy on Digitrax, about 20 systems, and have not looked back. We doubled the number of trains and operators running at any given time. Shoot, was operating two weeks ago with 16 operators and could have used 5 more. And all of us are 'old' guys! :)

Torn between DC and DCC... I have four engines equipped with DCC for use on the club layout, doubt I'll ever have the $$$$ to convert a good part of my DC engines to DCC. The four DCC engines I have are two I purchased, and two converted to DCC by a club member, for a very reasonable fee. (HO scale, by the way.)

trainsareme, I hear you on the model railroad magazines. They seem to be only half the size of the "glory days", and much less advertising (so I can find out what's new, and what I gotta get of the new stuff I didn't know I needed! 😃 ). And while I agree with the too much DCC stuff, I hope to learn it well enough so I'd feel confident enough to take the $$$$ plunge AND my trusty soldering iron to my old classics and update them to DCC.

Ah, if only I could have put a few more years at a job I really liked so I coulda had more disposable income! :rolleyes:

Won't even mention the essential tremors that have wreaked havoc with my hands, especially the predominant one...

Regards,
Tom

I have been a subscriber for years (back in the 70s). Anyway I'm finally getting back to my trains only this time I'm doing n gauge using bachmann ez-track system and I'm very very disappointed. I'm still using DC since that's all I know. their switch controllers don't work, out of 10, 7 have failed. I now using their switches with atlas track controllers I have had since the left 70s early 80's and they work fine. I'm not crazy about the new look that MR has, too much DCC for us old guys. Dont want to pour more money into it yet.
Well, to be right honest, Bachmann EZ-Track isn't necessarily the greatest track system out there, in my opinion. For beginners and intermediates, Atlas N-scale Code 80 track would be a better choice, especially if you want to try ballasting your own track. Or if you prefer built-in roadbed, Kato Unitrack is the top pick of lots of N-scalers.

To this day, if you prefer to run/operate your home layout alone or maybe with a few others, there's nothing wrong with straight DC. It's simple, works good, is cost friendly, and to this day is still the base model amongst most manufacturers. On the other hand, for club layouts of any size, with a number of operators wanting to run, then DCC makes a lot more sense. And actually, DCC can be quite affordable to get into when a person is ready. But until then, straight DC will suffice just fine.

Just for kicks and grins, here's an inspiring bit of info............. both my local HO-scale and N-scale modular railroad clubs are each set up with DCC and DC power systems, so anybody can run their locos of choice on any individual line. All they have to do is throw a toggle switch to select DC or DCC as desired, plop their train on the track, and they're ready to go! 👍

I now using their switches with atlas track controllers I have had since the left 70s early 80's and they work fine.
Atlas are rock solid. I've had some for over 60 years now, still going strong.
I'm not crazy about the new look that MR has, too much DCC for us old guys. Dont want to pour more money into it yet.
I don't know about too much DCC. For me it is too many pictures and not enough words to back the pictures up. Sort of like a children's story book rather than a "good read".

Yeah, back in the seventies, block control, rotary switches, throttles tethered at best, had to stop your train every time you moved your throttle to another outlet. When DCC came out we were all ready to go, we did a group buy on Digitrax, about 20 systems, and have not looked back.
If you waited until DCC in 1993, you fought with all those things missing a over a decade of command control. CTC-16 came out in 1979, and PMP-112 by at least 1983, still tethered but one did not have to stop the train. Our club went then went Railcommand (1986?) because of the wireless throttles. So much nicer than all those throttle wires all over the isles. We didn't go DCC until umm 1996 or so. We also did a group buy to get a steep discount on the Lenz system (also about 20 systems and 200 decoders if I recall right).

But yes to your point, we are all old guys. I think the difference is, to us, it is an enabling technology. We old guys don't become enamored with it as it seems some of the younger folks do.

But yes to your point, we are all old guys. I think the difference is, to us, it is an enabling technology. We old guys don't become enamored with it as it seems some of the younger folks do.
A good portion of us "old guys" in our club have taken to DCC like ducks to water... unfortunately, I'm not a swimmer. Don't have my own DCC system at home, due to (a) waffling between systems, and (b) the cost of DCC compared to my fixed income. An informal club poll shows that for home layouts, there is about a half-and-half mix between NCE (club "standard") and Digitrax (seems to be easier to learn) for our home layouts. A quandary, to say the least. I "know" I'll end up with a DCC system at home eventually, and we'll see how THAT goes! 😐

Regards,
Tom

In the UK, there seems to be two distinct camps regarding DCC, there is the pro DCC users who are into all the bells, whistles and lights, chip up everything, get very passionate about sockets, pins, F numbers and CV codes (whatever they are) and often make endless YouTube videos about it., these tend to be the younger generation or those who embraced new technology from the very start which here was the arrival of Zero 1 from Hornby in the early 1980's.

In the opposite camp you have the analog dinosaurs (like me!) who will stick to DC to the end, all the technobabble goes right over our heads and the thought of forking out hundreds of pounds extra to buy a locomotive that on the outside is exactly identical to the DC analog version plus the cost of DCC fitting vast fleets means we don't go near DCC with a twenty metre cattle prod...

Don't have my own DCC system at home, due to (a) waffling between systems, and (b) the cost of DCC compared to my fixed income. An informal club poll shows that for home layouts, there is about a half-and-half mix between NCE (club "standard") and Digitrax (seems to be easier to learn) for our home layouts. A quandary, to say the least. I "know" I'll end up with a DCC system at home eventually, and we'll see how THAT goes! 😐
Ha! I know that feeling. The club waffled for months trying to decide which system to go with. So with them I got the Lenz. Then I needed a more simple set for a project and bought a Digitrax Zephyr when they were first out (and cheap). Then I started at the museum and they used NCE, so I kept my feelers out on ebay and and finally picked up an NCE procab wireless for cheap. Since Lenz 100 throttles are so expensive, I did the same "keep my feelers out on ebay" and picked one up the other day for cheap. It takes a while but eventually one can get a good price. You can't go wrong with any of the systems, so the one your "best friend" has might be the best as then "experiences" can be shared.

You know, you got me thinking. I need to sell some of mine. I certainly don't need all these things.

Back