Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Bulk purchase of 143 reefer cars. Athearn base that are custom Painted by a company called Show Me. These were part of the California Dreamin' series. Documentation says there were 18 different designs. I got 15 of them in this lot. BUT I can count seven others in one of the original magazine ads for them. Don't know what is up with that. I had been looking for the CalOra car for years, but actually forgot about this brand when the YesterYear company came out with the same design with better graphics and on a better quality car. Almost all the cars have at least one, and most often more, stirrups broken off. But I knew this before I purchased, and got them less than $2 a car. What I don't have is the ice hatch covers! I'll have to get a huge batch 3d printed.

View attachment 183840View attachment 183841
I love bulk purchases, congrats

I'm guessing you'll be weathering them :)
K
I'm guessing you'll be weathering them :)
Yes sir! These are for me. I’m trying to build 2 trains of about 30 cars in each train.

I have 3 more Kato sets coming on Monday. The eBay deals though seem to have disappeared but that’s normal. There are quite a few Kato sets there but IMO they are way overpriced.

I’m selling an Atlas 3 car 53’ set weathered and/or with optional 40’ containers (3) that is less than what just the cars are going for unweathered on EBay. It’s a fair price for me and the buyer. Tomorrow I will drive to Walthers in Milwaukee. Their showroom is open on Thursday and Friday and I would like to pick up a few of their Proto-line 53’ well cars that r supposed to be a die cast body.

When the 2 trains are complete it will be a mix of spine cars, 53’ and 40’ well cars. I enjoy the search maybe as much the weathering but not quite as much as operating them…

I have 3 more Kato sets coming on Monday. The eBay deals though seem to have disappeared but that’s normal. There are quite a few Kato sets there but IMO they are way overpriced.
I really wish Kato would decide to do another run of these. They are some of the best well cars out there.

Your right, the eBay prices are ridiculous!

Some more fun came in the mail last night, I have been looking at this kit for a year or so and the price was right:

tool house.jpg

The castings on this one are very interesting, have to figure out a way to build this so they can be appreciated

tool house 1.jpg

This is going with the quarry mill and engine house, they had a building which looked a lot like this at the original quarry.

Dave LASM

Some more fun came in the mail last night, I have been looking at this kit for a year or so and the price was right:

View attachment 184622

The castings on this one are very interesting, have to figure out a way to build this so they can be appreciated

View attachment 184623

This is going with the quarry mill and engine house, they had a building which looked a lot like this at the original quarry.

Dave LASM
Have fun with this one Dave

These came in Monday, 3/25 but with the forum having issues I waited to post these.

Another 3 sets of Kato well cars. Ok, the forum says the files are too big!
IMG_5066.jpeg
IMG_5064.jpeg

More Kato well cars coming Friday and Monday along with another 2 sets of Walthers well cars just purchased last night on FB . That should be it till Fall on Intermodal well cars for me

This was ordered at noon Thursday from Athearn. Arrived at 4:30 this afternoon via FedEx Ground
IMG_5145.jpeg

Something has to move the container loads around the yard…

The price was right on these but now I need chassis for the containers to ride on. I’ll start looking in May, seems my April budget is almost gone and I might have a ScaleTrains pre-order coming this month

Oooohh, I like those, 👍
Scaletrains for whatever the reason screwed the pooch on these. They are gorgeous in demand containers but they did not produce enough of the Amazon Prime or the Walmart 53’ containers.

I have not checked this morning but yesterday on one of the FB buy/sell sites a guy was asking to buy a 3 pack at $70 or double the pre-order price from ST. He had no takers at 3pm when I last had checked. eBay has them all over the pricing structures. I have enough for my 2 stack trains

Scaletrains for whatever the reason screwed the pooch on these. They are gorgeous in demand containers but they did not produce enough of the Amazon Prime or the Walmart 53’ containers.

I have not checked this morning but yesterday on one of the FB buy/sell sites a guy was asking to buy a 3 pack at $70 or double the pre-order price from ST. He had no takers at 3pm when I last had checked. eBay has them all over the pricing structures. I have enough for my 2 stack trains
Yes they did!

They could have easily sold 3x as many. I would have probably picked up another 12 easily now that I have seen how well done they were!

Jacksonville Terminal has said on their Facebook page that they are going to run Walmarts and Prime containers in HO scale, but who knows when we will see them. My hope is Scaletrains would consider another run of them in the future, but late 2025 would be the earliest we would see them.

Maybe Athearn will surprise us?

What kind of well cars will you be looking for?
My hope would be that Kato does a re-run of their well cars. I have 8 sets and they roll like a dream, and run very well empty. Now they are demanding crazy prices for them! I bought mine when they were $70.00 a set.

Its more than likely going to be Walthers new articulated 53' that has just hit the market.

Back