Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

I keep a stock of various-size wheelsets for that reason.
I had a set of Marklin PFE ( Pacific Fruit Express ) cars which I converted to 2-rail by changing the wheel sets.
I found that the usual U.S. wheel set axles were wider than the Marklin and therefore stressed the truck side frames.
I got replacements from a company in Germany who unfortunately no longer advertise on Ebay but Trix wheelsets will fit but are expensive !
If you check your stock of wheel sets for a measurement of 24.5 mm they should fit as the U.S wheel sets I have all measure 26 mm over the pinpoint axles.
The couplers should be no problem as mentioned above as they should be in NEM sockets and can be replaced by Kadee.

I had a set of Marklin PFE ( Pacific Fruit Express ) cars which I converted to 2-rail by changing the wheel sets.
I found that the usual U.S. wheel set axles were wider than the Marklin and therefore stressed the truck side frames.
I got replacements from a company in Germany who unfortunately no longer advertise on Ebay but Trix wheelsets will fit but are expensive !
If you check your stock of wheel sets for a measurement of 24.5 mm they should fit as the U.S wheel sets I have all measure 26 mm over the pinpoint axles.
The couplers should be no problem as mentioned above as they should be in NEM sockets and can be replaced by Kadee.
WOW! I never knew that, great thanks, I'll check my stock and see what I have, but all mine are from the US so....... just a thought tho' wouldn't it be simpler (and cheaper) to change the trucks, I'm assuming they're a screw fit ?

WOW! I never knew that, great thanks, I'll check my stock and see what I have, but all mine are from the US so....... just a thought tho' wouldn't it be simpler (and cheaper) to change the trucks, I'm assuming they're a screw fit ?
It might actually be easier to do the trucks. Kadee has several styles to choose from to match your prefferences. Long ago when i was still a teenager and didn't understand about Märklins AC system being different, i bought one of their european two axle gondolas. It took me a while to find insulated wheelsets to match.

It might actually be easier to do the trucks. Kadee has several styles to choose from to match your prefferences. Long ago when i was still a teenager and didn't understand about Märklins AC system being different, i bought one of their european two axle gondolas. It took me a while to find insulated wheelsets to match.
I'm not worried about which trucks I use as long as the couplers match up, so I'll use what works.

While on the subject of axles, wheels and trucks I picked these wheels up recently for a 5" gauge wagon I am building.
A little larger than usually shown on here but still a model.

Top view.JPG

Side view.JPG

I have machined the axles to length but they need to be turned down to fit the wheels and bearings.
It is to be a model of a World war 1 narrow gauge wagon used in the trenches for shell carrying etc. so appropriate for today as Armistice Day !
The final wagon is to be used as a driving truck for live steam operations.
I built the truck frames some time ago but have only just got round to getting the wheels - now to find time to finish it !

While on the subject of axles, wheels and trucks I picked these wheels up recently for a 5" gauge wagon I am building.
A little larger than usually shown on here but still a model.

View attachment 176738

View attachment 176739

I have machined the axles to length but they need to be turned down to fit the wheels and bearings.
It is to be a model of a World war 1 narrow gauge wagon used in the trenches for shell carrying etc. so appropriate for today as Armistice Day !
The final wagon is to be used as a driving truck for live steam operations.
I built the truck frames some time ago but have only just got round to getting the wheels - now to find time to finish it !
That's going to be amazing, please keep us up to date with this build of yours, got a feeling it's going to be brilliant.

Yesterday my son and I went to a train show in Allentown Pa. We were able to find some good buys.

We got a Penn Line GG1. The paint is rough but it runs. Eventually I will restore it. I have been looking for one in my price point for some time. I am very excited to start on this. But I have to finish my current projects.

IMG_2263.jpeg

The cars below are all metal/ die cast. They need wheels and couplers replaced.
IMG_2262.jpeg

We even got a boat!

IMG_2270.jpeg
And a Lionel radioactive waste flat cat
IMG_2268.jpeg

Most of the cars need the plastic wheels changed to metal and couplers changed to Kadees.
I picked out the GG1 and the die cast cars. My 5 year old picked out the rest. He had a blast. It was a great day.
thanks
Pat

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpeg
    IMG_2264.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2269.jpeg
    IMG_2269.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2267.jpeg
    IMG_2267.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2266.jpeg
    IMG_2266.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 29
I stopped at the LHS this morning to buy some more Kadee shelf couplers and came home with more then that.

2 autoracks that I believe are the Walthers brand for $12.00 each and a flat that I will be using for a client to create a “hospital car”. It was $10 and an unknown manufacturer but I will investigate that. I rarely looked at the Estate sales at the LHS but happy I did. Yes I got the couplers

IMG_1972.jpeg
IMG_1973.jpeg

I stopped at the LHS this morning to buy some more Kadee shelf couplers and came home with more then that.

2 autoracks that I believe are the Walthers brand for $12.00 each and a flat that I will be using for a client to create a “hospital car”. It was $10 and an unknown manufacturer but I will investigate that. I rarely looked at the Estate sales at the LHS but happy I did. Yes I got the couplers
Those auto-racks were a steal!

We got a Penn Line GG1. The paint is rough but it runs. Eventually I will restore it. I have been looking for one in my price point for some time. I am very excited to start on this. But I have to finish my current projects.
Please keep us posted on the Penn Line project. I would love to see you succeed at it. A Penn Line kit is one of the only kits I've "given up on" because nothing seemed to fit right. Wasn't a GG1 but scared me away from the brand.

Beautiful cars and engines from you more experienced enthusiasts. I have been busy finishing the walls in my train room lately so only a little bit of railroading before that. I Did have a friend from my boat modellers club though that gave me a couple bins of old buildings, cars and another steam engine! All free, I will donate the track and anything I don’t use to our local club or another member who might want it. Hopefully there will be a younger person that might want the free track.

IMG_9523.jpeg

IMG_9524.jpeg

IMG_9525.jpeg

IMG_9526.jpeg

IMG_9527.jpeg

Beautiful cars and engines from you more experienced enthusiasts. I have been busy finishing the walls in my train room lately so only a little bit of railroading before that. I Did have a friend from my boat modellers club though that gave me a couple bins of old buildings, cars and another steam engine! All free, I will donate the track and anything I don’t use to our local club or another member who might want it. Hopefully there will be a younger person that might want the free track.

View attachment 176894

View attachment 176895
View attachment 176896
View attachment 176897

View attachment 176898
That steam engine looks like old production Rivarossi "Hudson", is it lettered New York Central?

Please keep us posted on the Penn Line project. I would love to see you succeed at it. A Penn Line kit is one of the only kits I've "given up on" because nothing seemed to fit right. Wasn't a GG1 but scared me away from the brand.
The beauty about Penn Line is that they are made out of metal. If you put some effort and patience in it, they will pull plaster off the wall. I'm just about finished on Penn Line decapod which i rebuilt into a mikado. Strong motor and runs like a swiss watch:
IMG_20231111_210727989.jpg

I have gone the other way, stretching Mantua Mikados into 2-10-2's and 2-10-4's. Working on another Burlington M4. If I can get good enough photos, I may try submitting the process to Model Railroader. The basic kitbash is reasonably easy. But I find it more difficult to get some of the details, like Elesco feedwater heaters, so I am going to install a Worthington BL, which the Burlington Route did use on some of their M4's. Also, the cost of can motors and DCC decoders with sound has gone up. We'll see what happens...
Happy Thanksgiving!

I have gone the other way, stretching Mantua Mikados into 2-10-2's and 2-10-4's. Working on another Burlington M4. If I can get good enough photos, I may try submitting the process to Model Railroader. The basic kitbash is reasonably easy. But I find it more difficult to get some of the details, like Elesco feedwater heaters, so I am going to install a Worthington BL, which the Burlington Route did use on some of their M4's. Also, the cost of can motors and DCC decoders with sound has gone up. We'll see what happens...
Happy Thanksgiving!
Burlington M4-one of the most brutally handsome 2-10-4s. I have gone on your modeling page, cool conversions. I'm a sucker for anything 10 coupled, and the mikado was actually a result for me needing extra wheelset for upcoming decapod project.

Back