Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

This arrived today, all in all, I'm quite happy with this. It's all-plastic body, metal wheels and what looks to be Kadee couplers, for £19 I'm definitely not complaining.

I'll let you decide if the detail is either good or bad, I've no idea as this is the first I've owned

1698672956735.png

1698673018581.png

1698673157307.png

1698673417641.png

This arrived today, all in all, I'm quite happy with this. It's all-plastic body, metal wheels and what looks to be Kadee couplers, for £19 I'm definitely not complaining.

I'll let you decide if the detail is either good or bad, I've no idea as this is the first I've owned

If you're happy with it, then that's all that really matters. There's something out there for everyone's tastes and levels in the hobby. That one looks ideal for detailing it in whatever paint scheme and markings you wish.

However, if it was me.... I don't know what the availability is of intermodal equipment in your area (and is that HO scale?), but starting at just a pound or two more, I'd go with Atlas, Walthers, or Athearn well cars. Those start at the equivalent of about £20 out here. Another option is to look for older Athearn blue box well car sets on places like Ebay. I see a few 5-car sets there for around 32 USD / £ 26. Only downside with those is that they are pretty light weight and there is nowhere to add additional weight aside from the containers.

Personally, I like the Walthers well cars with the die-cast metal frames, but that's a step up from the above options price-wise.

If you're happy with it, then that's all that really matters. There's something out there for everyone's tastes and levels in the hobby. That one looks ideal for detailing it in whatever paint scheme and markings you wish.

However, if it was me.... I don't know what the availability is of intermodal equipment in your area (and is that HO scale?), but starting at just a pound or two more, I'd go with Atlas, Walthers, or Athearn well cars. Those start at the equivalent of about £20 out here. Another option is to look for older Athearn blue box well car sets on places like Ebay. I see a few 5-car sets there for around 32 USD / £ 26. Only downside with those is that they are pretty light weight and there is nowhere to add additional weight aside from the containers.

Personally, I like the Walthers well cars with the die-cast metal frames, but that's a step up from the above options price-wise.
I have Walthers tank cars and a few others. HO is rather scarce here but I can get them, but it's rare to get Tank or Intermodel cars here (all my Tank and most of my Hopper cars actually came from the US).

This is my first 40' Intermodel car, and for what I want, (which is a mixed rake) it's fine.

I consider myself a enthusiastic enthusiast not a modeller so minor (to me at least) details that are missing on the car I don't worry about.

Last edited:
This past weekend was one of the larger shows for the area. It was ok, a fair amount of vendors, some layouts on display, and areas for kids to ride or play on trains. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't any railroad memorabilia vendors this time; I enjoy looking for authentic railroad items that would look good on display or around the train room. There also wasn't much that jumped out at me in my first circle of the floor. All I ended up with initially was this set of Rock Island express cars and some wheelsets (can never have enough of those around). I don't model any Rock Island, but I do have a couple passenger trains from that era and a Burlington mail train, either of which could certainly have had a RI express car added to it.

53301809713_aec0980078_k.jpg

Then on my second circle, I revisited a vendor who had still been unpacking his wares the first time I passed by. Not much interesting...then a locomotive caught my eye. A U50 has never really been on my radar, but I had brought money that was burning a hole in my pocket by this point. Haggled a bit, walked out with the beast. This one is DC, I'll have to convert it to DCC, haven't decided whether to do sound or not. I probably will, though as a double FDL-16 diesel engine probably sounds kind of interesting.

53301809638_cf447866e0_k.jpg

Oh, I also picked up an SP calendar for next year and some new pins to use as tie tacs when I'm working.

Looks good to me! What brand is that, almost looks Athearn?
I have similar cars that, as Eric mentioned, can have details added later on. Maybe…

View attachment 176133

View attachment 176134

View attachment 176135

View attachment 176136
With those lighter cars I add tape a weight inside the containers to add weight. You can get them at an auto parts store, here's what they look like they come in 1/4 and 1/2 oz.

With those lighter cars I add tape a weight inside the containers to add weight. You can get them at an auto parts store, here's what they look like they come in 1/4 and 1/2 oz.
Thanks, I've got about 50 of those left, may need to get some more soon.:)

This past weekend was one of the larger shows for the area. It was ok, a fair amount of vendors, some layouts on display, and areas for kids to ride or play on trains. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't any railroad memorabilia vendors this time; I enjoy looking for authentic railroad items that would look good on display or around the train room. There also wasn't much that jumped out at me in my first circle of the floor. All I ended up with initially was this set of Rock Island express cars and some wheelsets (can never have enough of those around). I don't model any Rock Island, but I do have a couple passenger trains from that era and a Burlington mail train, either of which could certainly have had a RI express car added to it.

53301809713_aec0980078_k.jpg

Then on my second circle, I revisited a vendor who had still been unpacking his wares the first time I passed by. Not much interesting...then a locomotive caught my eye. A U50 has never really been on my radar, but I had brought money that was burning a hole in my pocket by this point. Haggled a bit, walked out with the beast. This one is DC, I'll have to convert it to DCC, haven't decided whether to do sound or not. I probably will, though as a double FDL-16 diesel engine probably sounds kind of interesting.

Oh, I also picked up an SP calendar for next year and some new pins to use as tie tacs when I'm working.
Nice haul, love the U50, wonder if I can find one, Athearn have them on pre-order🤔

I found a couple of French coaches by the "France Trains" company. This firm closed in 1981 so they are quite old but are very good with full interiors. Here they are hauled by my 232 U1 ( 4-6-4 Hudson) which is one of the few locos made by Jouef that I have.
The full size loco is in the French Railway museum in Mulhouse. I have been to Mulhouse about 3 times on business but never managed to get
to the museum !

DSC00635.JPG

Nice "chopper" (U50). Too bad General Electric went cheap on their electrical systems, prompting early retirement. Would have been awesome to see them in action.

I recently picked up a few locos. I uploaded 4 videos of them thus far.....

Athearn RTR ATH98821 EMD SD40 Union Pacific UP 3003 with DCC & Sound

Athearn Roundhouse RND97266 GE AC4400CW Union Pacific UP 6417 patched & weathered

Athearn RTR ATH86818 EMD SD40 Southern Pacific SP 7342 (Daylight scheme) DCC & Econami Sound

Athearn RTR ATH86817 EMD SD40 Southern Pacific SP 7342 (Experimental scheme) DCC & Econami Sound

I also picked up 2 new Alcos! C630s.....

I will get videos uploaded later this week,

Bowser Executive Line 23801 Alco C630 Union Pacific UP 2905 DCC & Tsunami Sound

Bowser Executive Line 23802 Alco C630 Union Pacific UP 2909 DCC & Tsunami Sound

So a few weeks ago I mentioned in the coffee shop about starting a thread for "Mail Call" a few of you thought it would be a good idea so here we go!

View attachment 113459

This thread would pertain to any Model Railroad related items you ordered and received for your MRR or other.

So include your picture and tell us about it and even give your review or reasons for obtaining the item or items ;)

Thanks for your future participation!

Edited by Bob - added RPO image for thread promo.
My favorite Mail Call item is the first car in this ad:
1699291134791.png

#718 Mail Pick-Up Car! Sadly, mine is packed away for now :'-( but I often think of the mailbag flying across the room at full throttle on a straightaway!! <3 <3

I received this today, a Trainline Pennsy 40' steel Boxcar, I need to change the RR, wheels and couplers but for £10 inc Postage, why not.

1699312023351.png

1699312069372.png

I apologise for going off-topic here, but this is ridiculous, this is what it looked like when I opened it

1699311955981.png

1699312247349.png

1699312288802.png

1699312338715.png

And this is how it looked before posting, seller simply dumped it into a jiffy bag as is ????
Luckily the model itself was undamaged

1699312581693.png

Attachments

• 1699312428171.png
    1699312428171.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 1699312521693.png
    1699312521693.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 38
I apologise for going off-topic here, but this is ridiculous, this is what it looked like when I opened it

And this is how it looked before posting, seller simply dumped it into a jiffy bag as is ????
Luckily the model itself was undamaged
I see why you would be upset about it. Contact the seller and send them photos. See if they will do a little something for you.

There’s no excuse for poor packing for shipping.

So I'm an idiot, I just bought this, and I don't need any more reefers.

View attachment 176611

But I don't have anything from Alaska Railroad either

View attachment 176612

The main downside as far as I'm concerned is the ROCO couplers I now have to change.
Couplers are the least if your worries. These are Märklin and most likely you'll have to swap wheel sets. Normally wheels are uninsulated from each other on Märklin rolling stock.

Back