Logan Valley

Here's a video of a Bachmann 2-6-0 that my son gave me. He knows nothing about model trains at all, but does know that I like smaller steam locomotives. The locomotive is a DCC with sound version. I have no control at all on the sound, everything is automatic.

IMAG0349.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7zO8kdjGGA

Unfortunately Chet, you will need access to a DCC programmer to reduce or shutoff the sound. Sounds great to me, love the fact they've enabled the automatic start/stop whistle.

It is sort of cool that the correct signals are programmed in. It is a bit loud. If we get by our friends in Missouri this summer, I'll have to take it along and have him program it. My youngest grandson, who is a train nut really likes it. I used to use a PFM sound system and prefer the sound from it to this little guy.

You can either reduce the level of all sounds with the master sound control CV or just the steam chuff by itself. Got'ta keep the Toots, I insist :p. You might look at the possibility of fitting a better enclosed speaker, it'll mellow the sound quite a bit.

You can either reduce the level of all sounds with the master sound control CV or just the steam chuff by itself. Got'ta keep the Toots, I insist :p. You might look at the possibility of fitting a better enclosed speaker, it'll mellow the sound quite a bit.

I can live with the way this little guy operates. He'll probably be on the head end of a passenger train as he can't pull many freight cars up the 2 percent grade from the yard in Logan. For yard switching I usually use a diesel switcher. Could be I am starting to accumulate too many locomotives. I like to rotate them on local freights and then use them to move a train into the hidden staging. They'll re appear again with in inbound freight train. The little 2-6-0 just hasn't got the guts for longer trains. For the use I have planned for him, I think I can live with the sound the way it is.

Alan, thanks for the comments. The video isn't as good as yours, but I haven't figured out to edit the videos as of yet. No time. I was thinking about taking a video of a normal operating session, but with all of the local switching taking sometimes over an hour, it would be way too long.

Chet, I enjoyed your new video. Good info about the pulling power of the locomotive, I thought about buying one but maybe not.

I found a free edit software from Windows. I googled their site and selected it off there, and it got on my computer and works well, also was "pretty" easy to learn. My computer already had Windows 7 and I think that is why it was free. For all I know, I already had it.

The main negative with it is I have to keep the camera running continously because I haven't figured how to put two seperate takes together.

I haven't figured out how to edit either. I'm sure that it is in the program I have for the Cannon video camera, but I have been so busy that I just haven't had time to check it out. I have to keep the camera running also.

This video was interesting to do. Looking through the view finder and also looking at the layout at the same time and working the throttle proved interesting. Managed to get it the first time, but it probably would have come out better if I had given it a few practice runs.

The locomotive is an excellent running little bugger and I imagine that if I had DCC I would probably have a lot more control over it, but if you don't have any hard grades, I think it would be a good addition to a steam roster. I purposely put the 2 percent grand in after the Logan yard to limit train lengths. My main locomotives are the Atlas Alcos and a single unit can easily handle a 14 to 15 car train with a caboose up the grade. All of the sounds were apparently pre-programmed and work automatically. Being that I am still a lone operator and the layout is built for switching and only a single locomotive is running at a time, I can't see the expense of converting to DCC.

Pretty tough to bypass the grades on my layout, they are everywhere. I stuck to the 2% rule, but some are on curves which adds additional resistance.

I already have a small switcher so the 2-6-0 would be of no benefit to me. I think my next loco will have sound, though.

All sound decoders have the capability to operate on DC as well as DCC, but as you've noticed, the sounds are restricted and react to the throttle. Steam chuffs/diesel notching will react to throttle settings and in most cases to the amount of load as well.

Chet,

I really need to get in here more often ... I think this is the first time I have seen your layout and darn - all of that is DC only? Grief, I'd be itching to have two or three trains running around your layout :D

I too love the steamers, especially the 0-6-0 and the 2-6-0's they have a great atmosphere and sound to them and your 0-6-0 is no exception. Granted, it is a tad loud for my delicate ears (lol) but it sounds great!

I'll have to agree with you about how loud the little 2-6-0 is. A bit loud for me to, but really isn't as loud as it appears on the video. I usually have a radio on in the train room and I can really live without sound, but my little grand son really thinks it's cool. I did pick up a Milwaukee Road S-4 switcher, a Bachmann with DCC and sound and it is not as loud. I'm a sucker for anything decorated for the Milwaukee Road.

I should try to get a hold of MRL Dave who lives close by. He is into N scale but does use DCC with the modular group he works with. He could possibly turn the sound down a bit.

In this video, I have a BLI heavy mike that I got from Terry. He reset it for DC operation but it was a booger to try to control. I am assuming that it had something to do with momentum. It would take forever to get going and then when it finally did, it took off like a jet taking off from an aircraft carrier. The little S-4 switcher is at the end of the video. It also appears to be a bit loud, but again really isn't as loud in person. Terry had replaced the BLI chip with a quantum chip which was in the mike when the video was taken, but mailed me the original chip. The sound was way better with the Quantum chip, but after replacing it, I can control just like any other locomotive, but the sound is no where as good. Again, I really don't need sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fslzL3uPQU

The main reason I wanted the locomotive is because it was a heavy mike. Mikes are the largest locomotives that regularly run on the layout and it was a good looker. All that has to be done to it now is to remove the Southern lettering and reletter it for the Logan Valley and figure out a way to install a Kadee coupler in the pilot.

The next time I have a chance, I should take a video of my old brass 2-8-8-4 Z-5 Yellowstone pulling a train around the layout. Even with the rear engine being fixed like on the prototype, It easily gets around the layout with the large radius curves I have and can easily pull a 60 car train up my 2+ percent grade. I think this locomotive could pull up tree stumps.

Even though I am a dyedinthewool steam fan, that s-4 is a little gem.

Looked at several of your "tube" flicks ... Servers more to go, but the 'new cab ride' one is outstanding.

Here's a VIDEO that isn't the best of a bit of switching on the layout. Guess it's one of those "Don't Try It At Home" moments. My layout was built mainly as a switching layout and I tried to shoot a short one of a train picking up a few freight cars. The problem is apparently that I don't multitask very well. Trying to operate the video camera and keep it pointed at the train, steadily, woth the throttle and trying to throw switches all at the same time was a lot more difficult than I expected. I also neglected to clean the tracks as this part of the layout hadn't been operated in months.

The locomotive is a Bachmann S-4 with DCC and sound. I still operate DC only, but I am a sucker for anything decorated for the Milwaukee Road. Hope you don't get sick with the camera bouncing around.

There's the VIDEO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-tYl9fd9s&feature=youtu.be

I read that MILW served Yellowstone Park through Gallatin Gateway. Are you familiar with that? Was it a bus service?

Very Familiar. The Milwaukee Road would put up passengers in the Gallatin Gateway Inn.

Gallatin%20Gateway%20bus.jpg

Here are a few recent pictures of the Inn. It is now a National Historic Site, but unfortunately empty at the present time. I drive past it every day.

4f400c476aa8b.image[1] (2).jpgGallatin-Gateway-Inn-photos-Exterior.JPEG
Passengers were then taken south to Yellowstone Park in limos like the ones in the picture. As the crow flies, I am less than a mile from the inn which is right along US 191.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a great photo. It should be in that book. It focused on NP. and GN. Mentioned UP and SF also.[/QUOTE

The Northern Pacific also serviced Yellowstone Park. The Milwaukee Road took passengers to the West entrance of the park at West Yellowstone, MT. The Northern Pacific actually ran a train to Gardiner, MT which is at the North entrance of the park. This service was suspended in the mid 50's and the Milwaukee Road ceased its operations around 1952 or so. Here is a picture of a post card showing the Northern Pacifics station at Gardiner, MT. The station was at the end of a loop. I believe a school now sits inside of the old loop.

Gardiner, MT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back