Logan Valley

I know it's esy to be self-critical, but this is a very good, clear video. I really like switching, and I like videos that show it. Here is one of my favorites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2pi3rDA2fI You can see that that guy had his own challenges!

I thought the Bachmann S-4 ran and sounded very well.

Nice Video. I really enjoy switching a lot. I purposely created a switching problem in every town just to add interest. I enjoy the times when I visit friends out of state and can operate on huge layouts, with as many as 20 or more trains running at once with a dispatcher barking orders, but for my purpose chose the switching option. I guess I could have double decked the layout and have a lot longer main line run, but really prefer the switching option. After a while, a train running in circles can get boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438366564.551837.jpg
Seems to be a Toyota in it here

The inn was restored in the late 80's and had room available and the mainstay for the inn was the restaurant and special events such as weddings and large parties. Unfortunately, the hotel end was suffering because of all of the different hotels in l more convenient locations. When the inn was built, there wasn't much in West Yellowstone which is the west entrance into Yellowstone Park. Today there are plenty of hotels and campgrounds in the area. We are only about 10 miles from Bozeman, but there again, plenty of hotel rooms in the area. Wouldn't mind having an area the size of the ballroom in the inn for a model railroad.

I have no photos of my friends GC&W. We were in the construction stages when he suffered a fatal heart attack. I have a few locomotives and freight cars that I custom painted for the GC&W, but that's as far as we got.

IMAG0256.jpgIMAG0257.jpgIMAG0259.jpgIMAG0262.jpg

Although the railroad was never built, I kept the original plan that we had made with the line running south to West Yellowstone, MT. I don't have the space to model this but it is represented by tracks leaving Gallatin Gateway on my layout into hidden staging tracks which connect to both the Gallatin Canyon & Western and the Milwaukee Road.

There are no more rails to Gallatin Gateway. That line was originally the Gallatin Valley Electric Railway which the Milwaukee Road purchased around 1910. Originally the line ran from Bozeman to Bozeman Hot Springs. The Milwaukee Road extended the tracks south to the town of Salesville, which changed its name to Gallatin Gateway after the Inn was built.

At one time there were 4 tracks servicing the Inn but they were torn up when the inn ceased operations in the early 50's. One track remained in service to Gallatin Gateway servicing a grain elevator which burned to the ground around 1975. The rails were removed shortly thereafter. Although the tracks are gone, it is very easy to see the old roadbed running south from the Bozeman Hot Springs to Gallatin Gateway. It parallels US 191 just a matter of feet west of the highway.

When my grandfather's train arrived a couple years ago I began a study of model trains as well as railroad history. As a way of leaving a slightly more interesting family tree to my son I then blended my mother's extensive genealogical research into a railroad empire. In that spirit I merged and acquired the lines needed to link the locales. Instead of a family tree, it is a system map. My backdrop is a collection of photos of the places in our lives, with descriptions on the backs. Handwritten. I find handwritten notes from family to be priceless memories. The station agent's records and ledgers will hold the rest of the family photos and genealogy. They are at the desk, also from my grandfather, that is one end of the layout.

I envisioned a line to connect Bozeman and Big Sky to Yellowstone. Finding your great railroads made it a reality.

Hope I didn't bore you. Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed your work.

I also hope that you don't think of this as a hostile takeover.

Thanks for the directions to your layout, never thought to look for it in Virtual layout Tours. Browsing...:)

I have posted these photos earlier, but haven't updated this post for a while. I am finally getting some figures and signs put up in the town of Logan. Here are some updated pictures.

attachment.php

20171224_132844.jpg

attachment.php

A few figures have been added but I still haven't located my stash of good figures that I have been painting over the months, but I did find some and they have been added to the scene.

20180113_151715.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Really , really nice Chet . It looks like a busy morning in small town America to me . The cars and figures just bring the town to life . Your layout gives me something to aim for . Thanks for sharing.

You finally got the people to come out from hiding, NICE
It really adds to the decor.
Did you paint everyone of them or bought them as is?

Thanks for sharing Chet

That really looks good Chet,
I really dropped the ball in regards to this kind of city modeling on my outfit.

Thanks for the comments. They are appreciated.

Lloyd, some of the figures are as they came. There are a few Woodland Scenics figures and some are cheapies out of China, but there are also some Preisler figures that I buy in bulk unpainted. I have a bin full of Preisler figures that have been painted but for the life of me, I can't remember where I put them. gerg.gif Must have old timers disease or CRS. I'm sure I'll come across them and the cheapies will be replaced with better ones. Spent all last summer doing major renovations to the house and so many things got moved around. I'm still finding things that I stashed away over 20 years ago while the layout was under construction. I have come across some wood craftsman building kits that I put away and couldn't find, and now that most all of the buildings are on the layout, I don't know what I'll do with them.

Chet, I've long been admiring your town scenes and they just keep getting better! One thing that my own trackplan will make a challenge is sandwiching in reasonably plausible hints of town scenes. I'm hoping to be able to figure those out as I go along. But I know there won't be the kind of space you've got. Nicely done, and love how it's come to life!

Thanks for the comment Erik. The area where this town is sat vacant for about 15 years. Guess I wouldn't say vacant. It was a catch all for everything. Stuff piled high there for years. When I finally cleared it off to start work on the town, I found some long lost treasures wen it got cleaned off. It was a toss up when it came to where the town would be. I guess the yard should have been at the front of the layout, but I did want to have a fairly detailed town also, and if it were at the rear, it could have been harder to work on and a bit far to see all of the details. There are still a lot more details to be added to the town, but it will all come in time.

It did take up a lot of room which I was lucky enough to have. I grew up in the 50's and tried to recreate what I remembered in towns back then.

Back