Logan Valley

Wonderful photos! Logan is a toddeling town, very busy. The Logan Valley really got it going, not like when Northern Pacific was the only RR in town. Good work, very nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Greg. I grew up in a small town in the 50's and was trying to capture that feeling.

Here are a couple of other photos giving an overview of the yard area and the town. The engine facility is at the top of the photos.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chet, what I've always admired about your layout scenes is that they seem like they have a lot of life happening in them. I'm hoping I can eventually achieve something vaguely similar on mine, but aside from a 6 sq.ft. area inside a blob, I don't really have the space for many detailed Main Street scenes like you have. However, I'd still like each of my lineside switching areas to have at least one "cheap" eatery, i.e. a no-frills mom-and-pop restaurant or fast-food place, where the local workers [and train-chasers] can go for lunch - so everything won't seem totally sterile.

BTW - do you have any trouble reaching over the town buildings and trees to get at the trains for uncoupling and/or re-railing? Seems like the yard sits pretty far back...

SAY, KEN - I am not attempting to answer for CHET in any way, but in keeping with what you want -- take a look at I believe the thread is "building the Anderson Westernley"? I think by Alan Curtis? He has added smaller shops as you described.

Thanks for the Comments.

Ken - I have had the yard in operation for a little over a year in Logan, and the extra time I spent making sure that the track work was reliable was worth it. I haven't had a ny probems at all but all of the buildings can be removed if any work has to be done at the rear of the layout. I have a bench I built years ago that get me high enough to reach any part of the layout if necessary. It came in handy when scenery was put in against the back drop.

Here are a few more recent photos of the layout. I finally got RR crossing signs and stop signs in from Tichy and installed them.

IMAG1155.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php
IMAG1002.jpg

attachment.php

Here are the last improvement made to the front of the layout which now has no more plywood showing any more.

IMAG1005.jpg

Black Stack truck and auto repair finally had the fence installed around it and also the bulk oil distributor. Some signs will be added to the fence in the near future. The second photo shows the fuel loading area, the Sinclair gas station, potato loading warehouse and the freight station.

The next photos are of Buckshot, the GE 45 ton locomotive bringing an empty gon to the salvage yard.

LOST PHOTO

More work has to be done in the salvage yard. It is a bit too clean. The Walthers kit for the metal fencing was one panel short so another kit will have to be ordered. Some oil drums and other details need to be added to the office/shop in the old baggage car as well as some fuel tanks for the machinery working in the salvage yard. Gotta make the place look a bit more scruffy.

Attachments

• 20180128_161147.jpg
    20180128_161147.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Just really neat looking scenes, CHET. The first pic caught my eye as I grew up during my last six years at home on the St Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) RR. Those "Blue Streak" box cars were cool with the blue logo.
Then I noticed a "big old boat" sitting there. Looks like a Packard to me - am I correct?

Your details add a lot - do you keep a list of the little things you want to add? I would have to write them down in order to not forget.

Sherrel - The big old boat is a Mercury. The Blue Streak car started as an undecorated blue box kit. All of the lettering was done with dry transfers. Just liked the looks of the graphics. This car is probably 25 years old.

Chet:

Like you I have a "bench" (two step stools) that I can place two 2X6's on the stools to form a bench. My Saxeville Interchange is just below eye level and any real work requires me to be elevated. Like your buildings, any building in front of the Interchange can be removed.

I can't wait until I ballast the Interchange. Some of the tracks are ballasted, but most need attention.

Again, Chet, great looking yard.

Thanks.

Greg

I doubt that I would do track work that high in the future, but the scene is more realistic at almost eye level.

Updated photos

To start, here ore a couple of over view photos.

IMAG1108.jpg

IMAG1182.jpg
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now for some closer photos. The first few are entering the town of Logan.

20171230_134948.jpg

20180113_151715.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
More photos of the town of Logan.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

In the photo above, on the right closer is Vanns Radio TV andAppliance, with Bungalow drugs next to it, without any signs yet and the City Bank sharing the same building. Across the street in the next photo is Gallatin Valley Furniture, the Hi Ball Saloon and Ace Hardware.

attachment.php

Further down the street across from the freight station is the local shoe store. Haven't made any signs yet but do have some Buster Brown signs to also go on it, the Woolworths and at the end of the block is a Sears catalog store. Here in town, that's all we still have for a Sears store is the Catalog store. No full store.

attachment.php

Across the street, in the same building is the offices for the Logan Valley RR.

attachment.php

Next is the local Sinclair gas station and down the street is Black Stack Truck and Auto Repair.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll start another post next showing the servicing facilities in Logan.
In the next set of photos is the engine servicing facilities.

More photos of the engine servicing

Here's an over view of the roundhouse and turntable.

attachment.php

Behind the roundhouse id the boiler roon which also houses a machine shop.

attachment.php

Here are the tracks into the yard area, on the right is the inbound tracks with the outbound track on the left.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are the fuel and sand house off of the service track with the flour mill in the background.

attachment.php

In the background is the coal unloading off of the service track.

attachment.php

Here's in overview of the area with a Mike taking on coal.

attachment.php

The last photo shows the freight station and on the left is a warehouse that farmers bring potatoes to which sorts them and ships them out by rail. Potatoes is a major crop in this area.

attachment.php

The next update will move onto another town on the layout.

Chet, as always an inspiration. The detail is amazing right down to the cracks and the tire marks on the concrete roadway. I want to move in to your town.

Chet: Again great photographs of the Logan Valley Railroad. That's excellent track work in front of the Logan Tower!!!

Keep sharing.

Thanks.

Greg

Awesome photos Chet!
A series of scenes stitched together makes for a great layout, and you nailed it!

Back