Logan Valley

Hi,
Thats a fantastic looking layout going on....Towns and scenery are looking great.Like the progress shots a lot so keep them coming,please

regards,Chris

I will keep the photos coming. Things are a little slow right now. I keep a 2 acre lawn and have a bit of work to do getting equipment changed over from winter to summer. About the only thing I have been doing for the layout is what I would call time consuming. Getting buildings painted and detailed. What a pain painting all of the windows and other small details. I have to try to find some ballast to match what I have. "Johns Ballast". Don't know if they are still in business. Ballasting track is another slow process for me.

Chet,

I did several internet searches, and it does appear that John's Lab, who did the ballast is OOB. However, Highball Products is very similar to John's and may be your best bet. They do not appear to have a web site, but MB Klein's, modeltrainstuff, does stock their products.

Thanks for the info. Most of the track I have down was ballasted over 20 years ago except for one area I ripped out and moved things around. MB Klein is one of my favorite e-retailers. I have a list for the next order and I will put this on the list. I still have some "Johns Ballast" left, but not enough to complete the new yard area. I guess I can throw it all in a bucket and mix it together.

I have has some really good luck with MB Klein. If I get anywhere close to them on my road trips, it will but on the list of places to stop. I am in severe withdrawal not having any hobby shops close by.

John's was the first ballast I ever used on a layout. Then I discovered that Campbell had ballast products as well, and for me that was perfect. It's not available anymore, so I was in the same situation as you are now.

For several years when we were still in Mobile, I had severe withdrawal as well. The best LHS I was ever in was there as well, but on New Year's Eve 1979, the store suffered severe damage from a fire that started in the business that shared the building. Many of us got together and helped the owner salvage what we could from there. They had in direct loss, @ $750,000 worth of model railroad stock alone. I don't know what the loss for all the other hobbies he sold, airplanes, ships, boats, RC, plastic models, display pieces, craft supplies etc. I bet it was almost $2,000,000. This was a large store!

Years back when I was a dealer, having a dealership with Walthers, Con Cor and more, I had stocked up on what I thought I would need. I did have a plan, and have stuck with to for the most part. I do have some wood building kits and freight cars kits that I won't be using, mainly because over the years, newer and better structures have come on the market that better suited my needs. It was nice being my own hobby shop. The only one I could complain to was myself for not having items in stock.

Having kept to the plan has worked out well as I did have a stock of goodies that I needed to keep moving on for a number of years. One stumbling block was the demise of my Kadee spike gun. I had a hard time finding code 70 flex track and turnouts. For a period of time I was attempting to get what I needed on ebay, but with bidding wars, I have seen items going at almost double retail at times. MB Klein did come to the rescue for me there as they normally stocked Shinohara flex track and turnouts.

Did you use the old needle nose pliers and numerous gauges to lay some track, or did you just switch over to flex? I had 2 KD guns, and when they stopped repairing them many moons ago, I had to go back to needlenose pliers. That part didn't bother me enough to switch to flex for anything other than hidden track. I shouldn't be asking this, what wooden structures do you have left?

When my spike gun was beyond repair, I was using needle nose pliers on the main line as I use Homabed for roadbed. Fantastic road bed. Easy to spike, but holds the spikes well.

It hurt to have to rip out a bunch of hand laid track in the town of Anceny. I had to make some changes to make buildings and industries fit into a small space. I ended up using flex track for the repairs. I lowered the track level fir sidings and yards to the level of the plywood surface. This is where plyers really don't work well. My spike gun was working when I put in the first yard at Gallatin Gateway, so there was no pri=oblem with the spike gun. I did use flex track for the new yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spiking into plywood isn't the easiest thing unless you got an air powered brader that can shoot spikes:rolleyes: Don't blame you for the use of flex.

Using flex track, you don't have to spike as often. That's what I did in the last part of my layout. I had some heftier spikes in my parts drawers and used them. It worked out well. I would have preferred to hand lay the entire project, but without a spike gun, it was out of the question.

This is truly a spectacular layout filled with an incredible amount of detail and visual interest. I know you said its not a large layout, but it sure looks huge to me. Please keep posting pictures.
Really enjoyed the cab ride and the ride in the caboose as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the complement. I will keep photos coming. Many moons ago, I was in N scale and due to the poor running quality of N scale locomotives in the late 70's and early 80's, I ripped out an N scale layout with over 16 scale miles of main line. That really hurt, but I really appreciate HO scale now as the old eyeballs aren't as good as they used to be. I also enjoy custom painting and detailing locomotives and buildings, and it would have been a lot more difficult in N scale.

One reason I don't really consider it a large layout is because the mainline only goes through the layout one time instead of looping through the layout numerous times. This leaves me more room for industries and towns to be detailed. I am a lone operator and really enjoy switching, and that is what the layout was built for.

Right now progress is a bit slow as I have a number of buildings for the "downtown" area that have to be painted and detailed and signs made for them. Again, the old eyeballs make it a bit more difficult and time consuming. Hopefully these will be done soon and things should move ahead.

Work on the layout expansion has continued, but slowly. Finally all of the buildings for the town of Logan have been bought, and most have been completed to some point.

attachment.php
This will be the Corner Cafe. At some time in the future I plan to put an interior in it. Signs for all of the buildings have to be made yet.
thumbnail_20171022_164948.jpg

attachment.php

20171203_124935.jpg

This is the block opposite the station and park to be. The cafe is out of the picture to the left. The building in to picture to the left will be Montana Motor Supply. This company did exist in the valley supplying parts for cars, trucks and farm equipment. To the right of is is a variety store, and on the corner is the Barber Shop, with the department store across the street.

IMAG0824.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Across the street is the market on the corner, with a plumbing supply dealer, saloon and furniture store.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is the station for Logan

20171224_132844.jpg

The last picture is taken looking in the other direction. The building to the right will be a shoe store, with Woolworths next to it and the last will be a Sears Catalog store.

20171203_133425.jpg

attachment.php

The work slowly continues. After the last few buildings are painted, signs will be added.

Last edited:
You certainly have a collection of vehicles! Where do you get most of them? I am modeling the D&H in the late 60s early 70s and have trouble finding good period correct automobiles. I have also found that this has to be the most expensive part of the hobby when you get to vehicles and figures!

Period correct vehicles can be a problem. I have been collecting them for over 20 years, starting with Alloy Forms vehicles, which at the time were probably the best correctly detailed vehicles at the time. In recent years, Classic Metal Works have stepped up to the plate for vehicles for the transition era. There are a few other manufacturers that have also come up with some for the transition era such a Busch, Parline, Athearn and others. For your era, I don't think there are as many passenger cars available, but I have seen a lot more trucks. A good internet search should be able to help you find some for your time period.

The Jordan vehicle kits are awesome. A bit pricey, but I think they are worth it. Of course I don't need a ton of vehicles on my lay out, Probably relevant at least money wise. I am modeling the depression era also. They may not offer much in the way of later models, I'm not really sure.

You certainly have a collection of vehicles! Where do you get most of them? I am modeling the D&H in the late 60s early 70s and have trouble finding good period correct automobiles. I have also found that this has to be the most expensive part of the hobby when you get to vehicles and figures!

I'm modeling the same time period as you and have the same problem. Most of the vehicles I find on eBay are from the 50s so I've bought a few of those. Try eBay or online hobby shops.
Killer layout, you've got so much detail packed into it!

In searching for vehicles, I have seen a limited amount for the time period you are modeling. They are available but not in the numbers from the 50's. I take a number of online surveys which I can redeem points and redeem them for Amazon gift cards. I use the gift cards for most of my vehicles as it can get a bit pricey. I have seen some vehicles from your era. You ight try searching Amazon for HO scale vehicles.

Oh my goodness! I LOVE your Logan Valley setup! It is the most impressive model railroad setup I have seen thus far! How long did it take you to build it, montanan?

Back